Kirk vs. National Championship Coaches

PlatypusMessiah

You can tell it's February because here comes some boring trivia.

I count Kirk as having wins against 8 coaches that won a national championship: Harbaugh, Sabin, Meyer, Chizik, Tressel, Spurrier, Carr and Paterno.

First off, did I miss anyone and am I accurate in the 8 I listed?

Second, does any active coach have more wins against coaches that won a natty than Kirk?

Third, any idea where 6 would rank all time? That seems like quite a bit, but probably nowhere near Sabin who has beaten everyone.

I don't know the answers to any of these questions and I'm way too lazy to find out the answers.

Last edited:
Saban and Meyer and both solidly top ten, Joe Pa is as well except I think he should vacate all his wins for the child victims of his dear friend Jerry. I can’t stand Meyer but his moral issues don’t sniff Joe Pa’s. Harbaugh is likely somewhere near Kirk in the low teens of high twenties, they spent time with very different programs. Had Kirk taken the Michigan job after 2009 (I think that’s the right year) Harbaugh might well have never coached there. Harbaugh more or less built Iowa with five stars this season to win a natty. I don’t think it would’ve taken Kirk nearly a decade to do that at Michigan. Tressel is probably top ten as well. Chizick does not belong on a top anything list except maybe top ten clowns. And I don’t mean top ten Clown U coaches. Dude has like a .500 head coaching record, and that includes an undefeated season. One good season and otherwise he’s way below .500

Chizick does not belong on a top anything list except maybe top ten clowns. And I don’t mean top ten Clown U coaches. Dude has like a .500 head coaching record, and that includes an undefeated season. One good season and otherwise he’s way below .500

No one in history has ever benfited from a stolen laptop more than him.

Interesting stat. Saban is retired, but among active guys I think Ferentz has to be up there, likely in the lead. I don't know that any active P5 head coaches outside of Kurt has a win against Paterno or Tressel. And in the South guys turn over real fast, which will make it hard to top 6 wins against natty coaches. Dabo didn't beat Ohio until Ryan Day's first year. He has beaten Nick and Jimbo Fisher. I can't recall if he has beaten Kirby, I know they had a series against UGA but I don't think Dabo has ever beaten Kirby. So Kirby is probably second with four wins against Nick, Jimbo, Harbaugh and Dabo. Did Kirby ever beat Les Miles? If so, that would get him to 5.

I think this is a pretty good measure, even if Saban was the only "champion" coach in there he beat.
But his is a pretty impressive snapshot of a pretty successful era.
Teams that were setting themselves up, or coming off a pretty solid high.

Iowa bowl game record from 2002-2005: 2-2

loss; 2002 USC (2003 co-champion, 2004 champion)
win: 2003 Florida (2006 champion)
win: 2004 LSU (2003 ‘reigning’ champion)
loss: 2005 Florida (2006 champion)

I think this is a pretty good measure, even if Saban was the only "champion" coach in there he beat.
But his is a pretty impressive snapshot of a pretty successful era.
Teams that were setting themselves up, or coming off a pretty solid high.

Iowa bowl game record from 2002-2005: 2-2

loss; 2002 USC (2003 co-champion, 2004 champion)
win: 2003 Florida (2006 champion)
win: 2004 LSU (2003 ‘reigning’ champion)
loss: 2005 Florida (2006 champion)

The Florida game on Jan 1 2006 is why I will never travel to a bowl game. Worst officiated game I've ever seen. I also will never go to Atlantis due to the screwjob we got at the Battle 4 Atlantis against Villanova.

The Florida game on Jan 1 2006 is why I will never travel to a bowl game. Worst officiated game I've ever seen. I also will never go to Atlantis due to the screwjob we got at the Battle 4 Atlantis against Villanova.

Oh....I forgot about that offsides call. I lost my collective sh*t on this board when that happened. I hope those posts got lost over the years in an upgrade or something. I think I saved a picture someone posted with a line that included the geometry/perspective showing that nobody was close to being offside. I think I still have it. Along with my picture of Todd Worrell's foot on the base, the ball in the glove and Jorge Orta's foot not even really in the frame and Iowan Don Denkinger's "safe" mechanics in the background.

I'm older and much more wiser than those days. I really hope a lot of my digital vomit has disappeared.

Oh....I forgot about that offsides call. I lost my collective sh*t on this board when that happened. I hope those posts got lost over the years in an upgrade or something. I think I saved a picture someone posted with a line that included the geometry/perspective showing that nobody was close to being offside. I think I still have it. Along with my picture of Todd Worrell's foot on the base, the ball in the glove and Jorge Orta's foot not even really in the frame and Iowan Don Denkinger's "safe" mechanics in the background.

I'm older and much more wiser than those days. I really hope a lot of my digital vomit has disappeared.

The bowl game in question was when HN was on Scout so I think all that stuff is long bince purged.

I would guess MacK Brown has a lot of wins over NC coaches. Pretty sure he beat Bob Stoops, Pete Caroll. Not sure who else but he has been around forever.

I count Kirk as having wins against 6 coaches that won a national championship: Harbaugh, Sabin, Meyer, Chizik, Tressel and Paterno.

First off, did I miss anyone and am I accurate in the 6 I listed?
We beat Steve Spurrier when he was at South Carolina in a bowl game by a million.
We beat Lloyd Carr a couple of times.
We beat Jim Tressel by a million. I remember where I was sitting for that game.

Scott Frost claims a championship with UCF, so that counts.

Last edited:
We beat Steve Spurrier when he was at South Carolina in a bowl game by a million.
We beat Lloyd Carr a couple of times.
We beat Jim Tressel by a million. I remember where I was sitting for that game.

Scott Frost claims a championship with UCF, so that counts.
Steve Spurrier at the Outback Bowl is one I forgot about. Lloyd Carr was definitely beat in 2002. And I already have Tressel. I refuse to acknowledge the Frost "championship."

I'll modify my original post.

Also... 8 is an exceptionally high number. I really doubt anyone else is near 8. Though there were a bevy of SEC coaches to win one, their carriers were short and the coaches that coached against them
for the most part even had shorter careers.

Latest posts