Kirk on the Side: Talks Decision re: Robinson vs Michigan State

I'm a journalism student here at Iowa, but I'm starting to think that I don't want to cover the Hawks unless I can do something like Jon does, where I'm not necessarily required to be objective (not implying that Jon is or isn't objective, just that he's not required to be). I just feel like I would have a hard time being objective and asking the tough questions when it comes to the Hawks.

I think there is a way to get at some of the more uncomfortable issues without resorting to confrontational or gotcha journalism. However, it helps if the subject isn't coming into the discussion already defensive.

That being said, there are just some things to which we are too close to be objective. It is smart and ethical to know what these things are so we can be upfront with our biases.

I think there is a way to get at some of the more uncomfortable issues without resorting to confrontational or gotcha journalism. However, it helps if the subject isn't coming into the discussion already defensive.

That being said, there are just some things to which we are too close to be objective. It is smart and ethical to know what these things are so we can be upfront with our biases.

Agree with this. I've learned if you approach a situation with your hat in hand you'll mostly receive the same in kind. If you go in with the sword drawn, expect the same to comeback at you. Pretty simple concept that many fail to realize...

If this was Jon doing the interview then I really have to give him props for stepping up and asking the tough questions that Ferentz is a professional of avoiding - he avoids them before he avoids them - if you know what I mean.

Ferentz answers were okay - I like that he was a getting irritated. After last weeks performance he should be. Some of his answers were just were... well I can't think of a diplomatic word to use - "He want's the book on clock management... and something about robinson being pulled out and check the tape."

I usually know where Ferentz is coming from. I don't always like it or agree with him but understand his nature. The only thing you can do is hope that when he refuses to admit mistakes (and every coach makes them) - he is only doing it because as the coach he needs to be strong and the unremitting leader - but in my mind I hope he is smart enough to understand that clock management from time to time has been a weakness (many other good coaches have a problem with this).

In a small way he admittied it - but saying "he needs the book" is a cop out.

Great interview

Last edited:

Latest posts