Kirk Ferentz Presser Notes (FINAL)

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I will be typing some of the things Kirk says at his press conference, as he says them..look for it to start around 12:35 to 12:40.lete transcript of this press conference on the site mid afternoon.

Re: Kirk Ferentz Presser Notes

Injury: Dakota Getz knee and is done for the year. He just came off another surgery and disappointing.

Tough loss, lot of posities on tape but a lot to work on too...have to learn and move on, good team this weekend in Pitt...new staff..Todd Graham...Big Ten experience on that staff.

Pitt has good players in all three phases and a good start given their philosophical changes...different team since last time Iowa has played them. Good to be back in Kinnick

Coker, how critical to get a #2: We will have to...we will have to jump in water with it. White is next in...Bullock is back there and the #3

Tape from DL concern most: It's like most close games an we have had our share..comes down to fundamentals...can always improve...if we allow future QB to come out of the pocket, pressure on everyone...no different than punt coverage..they had a long one..if you dont contain tough to have return average...we have been good there traditionally and they broke contain defensively on us a lot

KO and P coverage personnel? I hope its not an issue on punt team but it was Saturday..I think we will be OK there...I am concerned about our Kickoff team, have been riding a roller coaster the last two years...when we hit we do it well, when we miss we miss badly. With the work we have on D, to think we can let someone start with ball on the 50 or other side, that is not realistic. We have to try to figure something out there

How much kick itself? Not a lot..we had one that wnet out of bounds..that wasn't good...outside of that Mike did well. He had a great day on Saturday...one of bright spots..that just leaves coverage

When QB breaks contain, leaves vulnerable: Most every defense no matter scheme, someone is responsible to set an edge and hold it...rest can do their jobs but once a QB gets outside of that, or anyone with ball, it puts everyone in a tough spot, plus guys coming across field can't help...you learn that in Jr High...in the old days, not sure if they learn that any more....Good high school teams understand someone has to contain.

Is that keeping outside shoulder free? Someone has to make that guy redirect...you can't let them run down hill on you...that is not good..

TE: You like balance, sometimes its how they cover you sometimes its what those players are doing.

This week will be like last two weeks at the QB...flash back to Michigan as well, they have two on staff...QB option attack, throwing ball, fast pace a lot of plays...he will run and throw...they have great RB too

Last year pryor and persa, what is it about mobile QB:

I would take Pryor out of that, becaues there are not many guys walking around like him...but at any level, a QB, if he can run and throw, its dangerous. Banks had that combo...when you have them doing a good job, its that much more pressure for defense.

Hyde, is he still at safety: Last I looked he was still playing safety. That's where he finished up

Kirksey what he brings: He is agood young player. He has good skills..not the biggest guy right now, young...when Greenway and hodge here they redshirted that first yera...when they were at this ppint, they were at special teams then year three they were playing...just talking physical and mental development...he is showing good instincts and we are asking him to do a lot...like everyone on our team, he has a lot of things to get better at. We were all guilty of giving up some areas, coaching wise too...

Different gear? When we recruited him, I am not sure he was 200 pounds..he runs well

Latest posts