Kirk Ferentz Postgame Quotes (MSU)

Pleas don't put a lot of stock into what a coach's say in a post game press conference. We as fans are on a need to know basis and the captain gets to decide what we need to know. That is the way it is.

This is how Kirk approaches things. Just like he won't throw anyone under the bus, players or coaches.

It was evident he was upset at that call with the illegal formation on the 4th and 1 but didn't say anything of that nature in his press conference.

Awww shucks and gawl darn, they were just a better football team today. We tried our best but didn't execute in all 17 phases of the game. The crowd really helped us but we just couldn't get anything going on all 37 phases of the game. We need to be better prepared as a (insert whatever of the 83 phases of the game here) and learn to execute on all 109 sides of the ball.

We will be prepared next week. The guys that show us the most in practice will be on the field next week.

Blah, blah, blah....he makes vanilla look like it has color.

Pretty good response here. When I hear Kirk say we weren't prepared I scratch my head because he has used that quite a few times this year. Why weren't we prepared?

Jon:

It's hard not to figure out that this program is "tired" and lacks leadership. The program at this point resembles the start of the decline under coach Fry. We need an infusion of offensive and defensive leaders with some youthful enthusiasm. The Northwestern and Wisconsin coaching staffs come to mind.

I get a great chuckle out of the media when it comes to calling Ferentz out on his game management skills. Don't get me wrong, if you flat out get beat by a better team like today then it is what it is. But as of now we will have lost 9 games in the last two seasons in which 7 of those are directly related to poor coaching.

Every question the media asks lacks any authority or balls, and it leaves KF open to give the same lame answers, "We got beat in all 3 phases, credit goes to the opponent, we need to play better." Blah blah blah. Yet the same media members will be at the post game wasting their lives asking the same dumb questions and will get the same dumb answers and we'll all waste 5 minutes of our lives reading it just to prove ourselves right that KF will answer the questions in a fashion we'd expect him to. And of course the media lacks balls b/c they're afraid if they ask any question mildly difficult that they'll be singled out and not allowed into the post game. And we all know you don't want to miss the post game b/c you might get some juicy info.

Fact of the matter is this: Iowa football is the exact same thing as Temple basketball under John Cheaney. Every game is close b/c the staff does not have the ability to adjust within a game to help the kids or sneak out a win when it may not be deserved. Before I really bust the staff I will preface it by saying I'd imagine they are a top 5 staff in the country in developing talent and turning it into NFL caliber players. Having said that, they are absolutely incompetent in game management in terms of clock and adjustments. Yes the 3 LB sets in obvious passing situations is obviously a joke, but the catches made by MSU RB's today we're pretty difficult so I wouldn't say Parker is totally at fault there. Where the staff is lible is that they are the only group on earth to not realize MSU's offense is totally based around the run game and giving their statue time to throw. It was pretty obvious last year with one of the best defensive lines in the country that the staff had no clue how to create pressure. Yet he answers many pressure questions this year with the "draft issue" although we didn't create pressure last year either.

I think what bothers me most is Iowa down 24 points on their own 20 with 3 timeouts and under 2:00 left and we're running a quasi-2:00 drill. History has shown time and time again that Ferentz is in the business of entirely wasting possessions and timeouts before the half in similar scenarios (minus the deficit), so what is his rational for going for a score here but not at other times? I say that loosely because he obviously wasn't sure if he wanted to go for a score or for halftime based on his playcalling and running the ball. In most cases when he doesn't go for the score the media will offer up some lame attempt at a question as to why he doesn't go and he offers up an even bigger joke of an answer, yet this time he feels the need to go? Why? And if you are going to go why are you running the ball and why are you taking timeouts to the house? He never really answers why he sits on the ball with timeouts and decent field position before a half and many time we lose when he does it. Yet this time he decides to go. The fact that he went for the score this time leads me to believe he has no idea or gameplan on what to do within the last 2 minutes of a half.

In watching 12 years of Ferentz ball I can offer up this one criticism regarding offense and defense in 2:00 situations: they are without a doubt 100% incompetent. The fact that the staff knows x's and o's and can develop talent infinitely better than the lay fan is unquestionable. The fact that they have no clue how to manage a football team in crucial moments of a game is unquestionable as well. How is it possible? I don't know but it vexes me every Saturday.

In concluding, I do agree much frustration is built up due to last season. Fact of the matter is we return the fewest starters in the B10 and are not very talented at various starting positions. The fanbase is at a head (at least on the forums), where some people are calling for Ferentz head and others are telling us in preseason how deep our defensive line is and how good other various defensive players are, mainly in the back. The fact is that the defensive line and various defensive players, mainly in the back, aren't good and firing Ferentz will put Iowa fans in a scenario of "careful what you wish for." It has become the ultimate game of cat and mouse for the objective fan. It's never as bad or as good as the fringe will make it seem. Last year the excuse was "We played an obscene number of good quarterbacks on our schedule." This years excuse for the exact same results is "When you lose a number of defensive linemen to the NFL it's tough." Ferentz and staff will have all off-season after the Motor City Bowl to think up next years excuse for the same results. And when I mean same results I don't mean wins and losses, I mean incompetency in playcalling in clutch situations and starting the wrong personnel for the first four games like every year.

But, I guess making a non-Rose Bowl BCS game every 7-8 years isn't all that bad... What's an objective fan to do???

Great post! I myself wonder why the media does not ask the most obvious questions surrounding Iowa Football these past years! I have always been a backer of Mr.Ferentz, but the coaching of recent years does not support the pay for which the results have become. Very concerning and should be a question that is asked!

No, but that doesn't explain the chronic poor offensive production and the inability to develop a quarterback. Some say Stanzi is an exception, but I disagree. I just think Stanzi had enough talent to overcome KOK's lack of coaching ability.

I have a hard time disagreeing with this.

VDB doesn't appear to be progressing in tough game situations, for the most part. He's been spooked on the road, and he threw some pretty awful passes today.

The offense chronically underachieves. The line, theoretically, SHOULD be pretty good. We have good skill players. We have a good running back and possibly more if they are allowed to contribute. CJF is someone who needs to get the ball.

The offense is consistently problematic, in my opinion.

Can we stop overly praising the other team for beating us? Answer a question by explaining what IOWA can change.

Latest posts