Kirk Ferentz Believes Hawkeye Offense Will Make Strides in '18

There he goes again; "Ball security"!, as in if we just hold on to the ball more we will have a better offense. C'mon, all teams fumble, good offenses overcome mistakes. We've had teams with some of the lowest turn-over margins in the nation and still had offenses ranked in the bottom third of the country. Old dog, same tricks. Is this really his chief objective in improving the offense next year......it is going to be a long year.

His comments about next year's prospects for our offense struck me as un-Kirk-like. It's normally about hard work, everything up for grabs, and we'll see where it takes us. Some pretty bullish comments for Kirk especially considering how our offense looked most games. I'll take it as a positive.

There he goes again; "Ball security"!, as in if we just hold on to the ball more we will have a better offense. C'mon, all teams fumble, good offenses overcome mistakes. We've had teams with some of the lowest turn-over margins in the nation and still had offenses ranked in the bottom third of the country. Old dog, same tricks. Is this really his chief objective in improving the offense next year......it is going to be a long year.
You do realize ALL offensive coordinators and head coaches make ball security a priority?

We had untimely turnovers kill 2 drives at MSU, one each against PSU, Wisconsin, and Purdue, and that's just off the top of my head. Iowa's offense survives on keeping the ball for long periods of time and turning long drives into points, and you're obviously not doing that if you give the ball away. It's not going to hurt this team to work on ball security.

You do realize that Alabama’s turnover in this years Nat’l Title Game was its first since the 2011 title game? A period of 6 title games. There’s a reason...because Saban prioritizes that above everything.

Teams at plus 1 TO win 75% of the time. Plus 2 wins at 90%. Plus 3 is like 99%. It’s the single biggest determiner of wins and losses. But yeah, let’s worry about style points instead of W and L.

Show me, Kirk. Show me.
Because I heard all kinds of talk about splitting AW out wide, in the same backfield as Butler, TEs split wide, ... if it happened then it was show pieces the opposition didn’t take seriously.

Don’t tell me about. Just so it.

And I don’t care about national statistical rankings. Other P5 conferences play differing styles of football. Group of 5 plays lower level of talent.

Show me what Iowa did in conference. Now there’s a statistical ranking that matters.

And in 7 of 9 games the offense was below average to pathetic.

I think overall the team looks poised to have a good year next year. Good returning players. Wait n see. Iowa is hard to predict.

I have to say that you leave me no choice but to agree with you. At least he didn't say he felt the offense would be worse next season. Whew! And he did say that throwing thing did good job with not having a lot of those throwing turnover things.

You do realize that Alabama’s turnover in this years Nat’l Title Game was its first since the 2011 title game? A period of 6 title games. There’s a reason...because Saban prioritizes that above everything.

Teams at plus 1 TO win 75% of the time. Plus 2 wins at 90%. Plus 3 is like 99%. It’s the single biggest determiner of wins and losses. But yeah, let’s worry about style points instead of W and L.
What's the win % for teams that get two pick six in game? Just wondering...

What's the win % for teams that get two pick six in game? Just wondering...

Don't quote me on this because I didn't research it and it may have happened multiple times, but to my knowledge, in 2017 teams that had 2 pick sixes and 66 or fewer yards of offense were 0-1. I haven't checked the stats, but I believe that teams that posted 66 or fewer yards of offense did not win the majority of games in which they had 66 or fewer yards.

Nick is just an amazing coach. That's so many title games. Honestly, I thought the old dog has lost his will to hunt after losing two games in calendar year 2017, including that embarrassment against Clemson in the title game and the Iron Bowl. Watching that first half against Georgia, I just couldn't believe my eyes. But when Nick changed the QB, I realized he still had some fire in the belly.

This year, after the first win, vs some dog shit team, Kirk smirked and commented about how strong his WRs would be...even though fans, "experts" an pundits said they would be a weakness.

Point is..most of the year, they were unable to even get open, let alone catch it much if it hit their hands...

Take Kirk's comments with a block of salt...

Tiring...delusional...stubborn...stop...

Last edited:
Show me, Kirk. Show me.
Because I heard all kinds of talk about splitting AW out wide, in the same backfield as Butler, TEs split wide, ... if it happened then it was show pieces the opposition didn’t take seriously.

Don’t tell me about. Just so it.

And I don’t care about national statistical rankings. Other P5 conferences play differing styles of football. Group of 5 plays lower level of talent.

Show me what Iowa did in conference. Now there’s a statistical ranking that matters.

And in 7 of 9 games the offense was below average to pathetic.
Not that it absolves him of guilt for that, but I've a feeling Butler getting hurt against NT threw a wrench in those plans. We did see some 2 RB sets with both of them against Wyoming and ISU. Where it was after Butler came back, who knows.

As much as turnovers mean a difference it is the 3rd down conversions that need to improve and first down pass efficicency to get ahead of the chains.

This year, after the first win, vs some dog shit team, Kirk smirked and commented about how strong his WRs would be...even though fans, "experts" an pundits said they would be a weakness.

Point is..most of the year, they were unable to even get open, let alone catch it much if it hit their hands...

Take Kirk's comments with a block of salt...

Tiring...delusional...stubborn...stop...
My favorite was when everytime a cornerback got scorched opposite Jackson he would bench him but yet he was fine with running vandenberg out there to do nothing

Last edited:
Don't quote me on this because I didn't research it and it may have happened multiple times, but to my knowledge, in 2017 teams that had 2 pick sixes and 66 or fewer yards of offense were 0-1. I haven't checked the stats, but I believe that teams that posted 66 or fewer yards of offense did not win the majority of games in which they had 66 or fewer yards.
You see though, it’s really the defense’s fault for scoring on those turnovers, didn’t give the offense a chance to post more yards.

Latest posts