KINNICK=WRIGLEY

BILLBUCKNER

Jon brought this up during his last podcast and I must agree. A huge number of fans attend because of the party that is around Kinnick and the game is just a reason for the party. Its family/friend reunions that happen 7 days in the fall. It like the sparrows of Capistrano(sp?) and the UI banks on that blind loyalty. They don't need to field an exciting program to pack the house,the party will do it for them. Until fans vote with their dollars, we'll continue to get what we deserve. I am beginning to believe that Barta intentionally gave that long contract extension because it saved him from ever being faced with the decision to have to fire KF because it would be too expensive to do so. He built in a ready excuse for why we would have to keep KF regardless of the record. Afterall, the fans will keep coming back for the party/reunions.

Well I said the same thing awhile back only in a different reguard. They r the same in the fact that there is no real incentive to get better. Wrigley sells out constantly and they keep producing sub par teams. Much the same as Kirk and his crew. He puts out an aweful product and people still show up and drink beer and watch bad teams play bad ball. What's the incentive to put money into your roster? Same thing with Iowa.

I agree as it relates to the business and why many fans show up. However, I think it's a huge logic fail to think that the coaches and players or the Cubs and Hawkeyes don't try their damnedest to win every game they play.

I'll go with that. And the guy who watches the games from the crane is like the fans who watch on the rooftops of the apartments.

I always thought the better comparison was between cubs fans and the people that buy tickets to watch the games in Ames. The attraction primarily being about a good day out at the park watching a game instead of winning. No chance of winning a championship, completely satisfied by reaching the post season every so often, and a quick and easy trip from home that takes only part of the day.

The Kinnick-Wrigley comparison was more valid in the 70s. We outdrew ISU by thousands, even though they won more

Since Hayden took over, we've had a good, sometimes great, product on the field in addition to a loyal fan base.

Ferentz is doing his best to bring back those pre-Hayden days.

I always thought the better comparison was between cubs fans and the people that buy tickets to watch the games in Ames. The attraction primarily being about a good day out at the park watching a game instead of winning. No chance of winning a championship, completely satisfied by reaching the post season every so often, and a quick and easy trip from home that takes only part of the day.
I was going to post the same thing. I've been to a lot of Cubs games, and a lot of Iowa games. There is a lot more complaining and moaning when Iowa is doing poorly than there is at a Cubs game. I just don't think they expect to win most years. 2015 may be different.

I was going to post the same thing. I've been to a lot of Cubs games, and a lot of Iowa games. There is a lot more complaining and moaning when Iowa is doing poorly than there is at a Cubs game. I just don't think they expect to win most years. 2015 may be different.

2015 will be different for the Cubs because they went out 3 years ago and did what Iowa should be doing right now. The writing is on the wall for Iowa, and our AD needs to grow a pair and fix it.

The "party" that occurs 7 days each fall is nothing like it used to be. I've attended every home game since 2003, and by my observation things really peaked in 2008/2009. This last year I almost didn't recognize the tailgating scene in Iowa City. It was really lacking. Not as many people, not as much enthusiasm. Not as many students.

Heck, I didn't wander over to Melrose at all this year, and I only went to watch the players come in one time. I guess I'm also guilty of lack of enthusiasm. Can you blame me? At least I'm still there.

Sally has been doing everything that she can in the last few years to ruin gameday atmosphere in Iowa City. With all of the horrible changes it's easier to stay home and watch the game and not worrying about going to jail. I think in the next few years the trend of increased attendance is going to go downhill fast.

Sally has been doing everything that she can in the last few years to ruin gameday atmosphere in Iowa City. With all of the horrible changes it's easier to stay home and watch the game and not worrying about going to jail. I think in the next few years the trend of increased attendance is going to go downhill fast.

Just more anti-sports sentiment in the administration, I guess. All these little things add up over time. Are things like this a silent assassin for Iowa sports?

Latest posts