Kinnick cell phone coverage

Since the start of the 2001 season, I have missed two home games. How about you, mr. internet tough guy?

You are delusional if you claim total team stats are "always available" and individual stats are "routinely displayed".

The team totals are able to be seen the vast majority of the time. Individual stats, not so much. They display them on a little corner of the board, one player (and one statistic) at a time. And half the time it's just an advertisement.

Verizon is launching 4g LTE which allows a crazy amount of bandwidth which will eliminate the problem. Should have it by first kickoff most likely.

Not sure if 4G will help. There's a finite number of connections that a single tower allows. 4G allows for faster speeds per connection, but I don't know if it actually allows more total connections. At a minimum it should help a bit as people will be able to upload that picture of the drunk student passed out in row 72 faster, thereby freeing up a connection for someone trying to call Kinnick security to report said drunk student in row 72. :)

It'd be handy if Kinnick was setup for open Wifi on gamedays. People could connect to the wifi for score updates, leaving the actual carrier network connections available for people texting and making phone call.

Since the start of the 2001 season, I have missed two home games. How about you, mr. internet tough guy?

You are delusional if you claim total team stats are "always available" and individual stats are "routinely displayed".

Now I know you've never been to game.

The total team stats are constantly visible on the main scoreboard. Anyone who has been to a game in the last several years would know this.

Nice try, though.

4g will help just to clarify. The 700 MHz spectrum allows a much higher volume of network capacity. Verizon owns the rights to the fastest and most advanced spectrum block. You are correct in the sense that having the ability to download a full length movie in less time than it takes to download a 20 sec video clip on 3g will clear out network traffic and allow the next user to hop on the Internet and check scores, ect.

I have Verizon, I have no coverage either. I always love the scoreboard that says something to the effect that if you see problems text section and seat location to security and gives you the number to do so. yea good luck.

The team totals are able to be seen the vast majority of the time. Individual stats, not so much. They display them on a little corner of the board, one player (and one statistic) at a time. And half the time it's just an advertisement.

"Vast majority" is an exaggeration. They show team stats on the main screen, when they aren't showing commercials, which is a majority of the time. One lower corner does show individual stats one at a time when its not an advertisement, but I can't stare at the slow-changing scroll while trying to watch the game at the same time. The other corner is mostly ads but occasional shows scores from games that either haven't kicked off or happened two days ago.

"Vast majority" is an exaggeration. They show team stats on the main screen, when they aren't showing commercials, which is a majority of the time. One lower corner does show individual stats one at a time when its not an advertisement, but I can't stare at the slow-changing scroll while trying to watch the game at the same time. The other corner is mostly ads but occasional shows scores from games that either haven't kicked off or happened two days ago.

I guess the total stats are usually up whenever I look to see them, but that doesn't mean they're always up. Individual stats are worthless on the big board. I really like the wifi idea that somebody had, that would satisfy just about everybody.

Really going to sound dumb with this comment but here goes anyway. Say Verizon has the 4G LTE capabilities by the time the season starts as someone suggested. How would that help people with 3G phones and not 4G? I mean outside of taking some of the traffic of the people with 4G phones.

Actually not a stupid question at all :)
It won't help those with 3G phones except for how u said it. The number of 4g phones isn't super high yet but id assume that once it launches that number will grow pretty quickly since ppl will get to see the crazy speed increase, which at the fair was 26 Mbps. 3G runs about 1 Mbps.

Sorry to post again but also here is something cool. Were trialing running voice over that network (LTE-data) which will make calling in Kinnick just as strong as using data. Were atleast a yr before we go public with that tho.

Not sure if 4G will help. There's a finite number of connections that a single tower allows. 4G allows for faster speeds per connection, but I don't know if it actually allows more total connections. At a minimum it should help a bit as people will be able to upload that picture of the drunk student passed out in row 72 faster, thereby freeing up a connection for someone trying to call Kinnick security to report said drunk student in row 72. :)

It'd be handy if Kinnick was setup for open Wifi on gamedays. People could connect to the wifi for score updates, leaving the actual carrier network connections available for people texting and making phone call.

4G ups the total cell capacity, it will, in theory at least, provide some ease for bandwidth availability. Since not everyone will have 4G phones. I'm not sure what the total availability on bandwidth is, but 4g devises should see around 10-15mb throughput, while the 3g is only 1-3mb. To provide that kind of throughput you are going to need Gigabit backhauls, which, as someone who works for a telco providing the last mile connectivity, is in the works.

Thread-Crap-FingerBaby.jpg

That's because it was Kid's Day and there wasn't tens of thousands of people trying to use the mobile network. It's not a coverage issue within Kinnick, it's a capacity issue on game day.

he said he had no coverage. And yes I know the difference I am an engineer for AT&T.

4G ups the total cell capacity, it will, in theory at least, provide some ease for bandwidth availability. Since not everyone will have 4G phones. I'm not sure what the total availability on bandwidth is, but 4g devises should see around 10-15mb throughput, while the 3g is only 1-3mb. To provide that kind of throughput you are going to need Gigabit backhauls, which, as someone who works for a telco providing the last mile connectivity, is in the works.

Right now industry wide both Verizon and AT&T will be expecting around 6-10 MB/s on a loaded network. while 4G will help with data speeds its not going to help at all on voice. currently no LTE serivce is providing voice calls; all voice calls are being made on the 3G networks.

Right now industry wide both Verizon and AT&T will be expecting around 6-10 MB/s on a loaded network. while 4G will help with data speeds its not going to help at all on voice. currently no LTE serivce is providing voice calls; all voice calls are being made on the 3G networks.

interesting, i didn't know that. thanks for the info.

I have a 4g phone and we have the lte here. according to speed test I get 4108 down and 998 up on the test I just ran. That's on AT&T.

Latest posts