Kinnick attendence?

BergHawk7

I flipped to BTN and they had a replay of when Purdue upset ohio st acouple yrs ago, and in the stands there were major holes of empty seats everywhere, you usually see this with teams who are horrable, Indiana has problems with this as well, empty seats everywhere. So my question is, has kinnick ever lookd like that (other than student section) like 1999-2001? Or has kinnick almost always looked full? I cant remember.

When my uncle would take me to games as a kid in the 90s I can remeber a few games with spotty attendence. Not to the extent of Indiana, Northwestern, and recently Purdue, but certainly noticable.

When my uncle would take me to games as a kid in the 90s I can remeber a few games with spotty attendence. Not to the extent of Indiana, Northwestern, and recently Purdue, but certainly noticable.

YOu have to go back to the early to mid 70's to routinely see pockets of empty seats against big time opponents. Yeah, for purdue to have lots of empty seats against OSU a few years back is really bad. The one time I was at a game at Purdue I thought their crowd was quiet, and not into it. Yeah Indiana and NW are really bad but a great place as a visiting fan to easily get good tickets.

Late 70s and beyond (even bob cummings last few years), big time opponents at kinnick have filled the stands. And we had big time OOC games back then.

Kinnick didn't even sell out in 2003 when the Hawks were coming off the Orange Bowl year.

Anybody that brings up talk of expanding Kinnick is crazy until we see 12-15 more years in a row that people are getting rejected for season tickets.

There were several games in 1999-2000 that had very low attendance, at least by Iowa standards. Like 51,000. I remember Indiana head coach Cam Cameron saying after the 2000 game that he was in awe that a program like Iowa with a long losing streak could still draw into the 50,000's for games.

So we had a fairly empty looking stadium for the lower tier teams back then, but when we played Wisconsin or Iowa State or teams like that, the stadium was mostly full.

There were several games in 1999-2000 that had very low attendance, at least by Iowa standards. Like 51,000. I remember Indiana head coach Cam Cameron saying after the 2000 game that he was in awe that a program like Iowa with a long losing streak could still draw into the 50,000's for games.

So we had a fairly empty looking stadium for the lower tier teams back then, but when we played Wisconsin or Iowa State or teams like that, the stadium was mostly full.

That game was in 1999. We played @ Indiana in 2000. Get your facts straight!! Ha ha ha. TecmoSuperHawk is my twin brother and when we were students in the 1999 & 2000 seasons there were a lot of empty seats. In particular the student section. Many would start out at the game and leave by half time. Against Indiana in 1999 my brother and I virtually single handedly got the student section back in the game (making some noise) in the 2nd half and we nearly pulled off the win. But we lost 38-31. IIRC Scott Mullen got knocked out of bounds or tackled near the sideline as time expired at about the 2 yard line. One of those games he threw for almost 400 yards I believe. Those were dark times, but in 2000 you could see things were starting to change for the better.

A lot has changed since 2000.

Most teams that win 1-3 games will see decreased attendance. There wasn't priorty points which penalizes you for not renewing year after year. Tailgating is vastly different. You also can't leave the stadium and get back in.

I don't have the exact figures but wasn't kinnick only about 60k in the mid 1970's. It was a way different time with absolutely no connectivity and virtually no rules inside the stadium. I only have a vague recollection either due to age or my mental state while at the game during those years ( I did wake up in JC jail a couple of games ) but pretty certain we filled it up on most occasions until late in the year when it got cold.

I don't have the exact figures but wasn't kinnick only about 60k in the mid 1970's. It was a way different time with absolutely no connectivity and virtually no rules inside the stadium. I only have a vague recollection either due to age or my mental state while at the game during those years ( I did wake up in JC jail a couple of games ) but pretty certain we filled it up on most occasions until late in the year when it got cold.

YOu are correct about the 60K. most games the stadium was full. Iowa had a better non-conf schedule with usc, nebby, and all kinds of tough teams coming in. As I mentioned the games against NW and Indiana might not be full. They might have been sellouts but not full.

Kinnick didn't even sell out in 2003 when the Hawks were coming off the Orange Bowl year.

Anybody that brings up talk of expanding Kinnick is crazy until we see 12-15 more years in a row that people are getting rejected for season tickets.

HawkeyeSports Website listed that the Home Total Attendance at Kinnick in 2003 season as the 2nd highest ever with 460,584 fans, the 1986 season still has the record of 472,041 fans.

They started the 2003 season with Miami of Ohio and Buffalo those games were not sellouts. However the sold the 5 remaining games out it started when Arizona State came to town.

Kinnick Stadium Attendance - Iowa Official Athletic Site

Last edited:
Kinnick always has a late arriving student crowd. Tickets today are so expensive, i wouldnt be surprised to see the pockets of empty seats again. I cant justify $75.

I was in school 98-2000. I always thought attendance was good, even in those years. 63,000 official attendance for Indiana I don't think is that far off. There were some empty seats but Kinnick to me still felt packed. Maybe it's because I grew up a Mizzou fan as a kid. One of the things, if not the most important thing that won over my heart was the kinnick crowds in those days. At Mizzou's Faurot Field there would have been maybe 30,000 fans for a game when the team had a losing record. At Iowa it was 60,000 plus in a losing year and I loved Hawkeye passion.

HawkeyeSports Website listed that the Home Total Attendance at Kinnick in 2003 season as the 2nd highest ever with 460,584 fans, the 1986 season still has the record of 472,041 fans.

They started the 2003 season with Miami of Ohio and Buffalo those games were not sellouts. However the sold the 5 remaining games out it started when Arizona State came to town.

That website is not up to date. Iowa had 494,095 in 2010 (sold out every game) and without checking I would guess the same or very close to it for 2009 and 2011.

Ok, so after a little digging, the lowest attended game I could find since 1999, was the 2002 opener against Akron.

Akron vs Iowa (Aug 31, 2002): Akron Athletics - GoZips.com

Only 51,495 for that game. To my surprise the 1999 season had attendance on par with the 2001 and 2002 season.

Bottom line if you go through the link from HawkeyeSports.com someone earlier posted, Iowa has done pretty well over the last 60 years attendance wise with seemingly very few games where the stadium was empty.

2002 ands 2003 both had 7 home games, which was a rarity back then.

If I were to guess, every year from 2005-2011 would have a higher attendance number than the 2003 season. Average attendance per game would be a more accurate was to look at it.

Check out the numbers from my freshman year:

1971 | Iowa Hawkeyes Football Statistics and Results | Totalfootballstats.com

9/11/1971 @ Ohio State L 21-52 75596 9/18/1971 @ Oregon State L 19-33 24092 9/25/1971 Penn State L 14-44 44303 10/2/1971 @ Purdue L 13-45 63485 10/9/1971 Northwestern L 3-28 52102 10/16/1971 Minnesota L 14-19 51488 10/23/1971 @ Michigan State L 3-34 60383 10/30/1971 Wisconsin W 20-16 43155 11/6/1971 @ Michigan L 7-63 72467 11/13/1971 Indiana L 7-14 42102 11/20/1971 @ Illinois L 0-31 40703

Latest posts