Kicker Situation

You are kidding right? You are talking about thousands of pitches including practice. How many times a game does a pitcher throw? How many in a week? Month? How man times a game does a kicker kick? how many games a week? Month? Get real! I suppose you think QBs arms get tired as the season goes on too? THink about it for a second...stanzi throws how many times a game? How many times in Practice? It didn't look like his arm got tired. Unless you are a physical therapist I am not buying the Tired leg argument.

With a true freshman, it's different. ROOKIE pitchers' arms get tired as the season goes on. They aren't used to the increased workload (in most cases). A freshman kicker probably isn't used to the amount of kicking that he has to do every day/month/etc. at this level. I'd expect his leg to be in much better shape to handle the workload next year.

I don't see how the yips comes into it when he got blocked. I understand blocks count as misses (obviously) but yips are when you yank or push chip shots. His last kick was blocked and I put blocks usually on the holder or the line not the kicker. With the way Ferentz will pull kickers don't count any kicker listed on the roster as out of the kicking competition. Plus I don't think Meyer even kicks a FG this year if Murray doesn't get hurt. Murray might not have the FG% of a Kaeding but who can match the best. Murray was one of the better kickers in the nation.

I'm not talking about the Arizona kick. He's not been the same ever since Murray was put in to kick the game winner against PSU in 2008. 31 yards was well within the designated range for Mossbrucker to handle, but apparently didn't feel that Ferentz had confidence in him to make it. He then missed two extra points the following week, and then Murray took over.

Like somebody else mentioned, he looks wound up like a spring out there now.

And no, if Murray doesn't get hurt, Meyer probably doesn't kick this year. But that's not the point. He did kick this year, and Murray is gone now. And I liked Murray, but he was NOT one of the top kickers in the country. 70% is average, and several of the kicks he made were of the duck variety. Meyer is a better kicker than Murray, at least I think he is now after a year's worth of experience.

I'm not talking about the Arizona kick. He's not been the same ever since Murray was put in to kick the game winner against PSU in 2008. 31 yards was well within the designated range for Mossbrucker to handle, but apparently didn't feel that Ferentz had confidence in him to make it. He then missed two extra points the following week, and then Murray took over.

Like somebody else mentioned, he looks wound up like a spring out there now.

And no, if Murray doesn't get hurt, Meyer probably doesn't kick this year. But that's not the point. He did kick this year, and Murray is gone now. And I liked Murray, but he was NOT one of the top kickers in the country. 70% is average, and several of the kicks he made were of the duck variety. Meyer is a better kicker than Murray, at least I think he is now after a year's worth of experience.

Hell, one of the ones he missed was a duck. 22 yarder against Ohio State.

Latest posts