KF's list of individual award winners is pretty impressive

NorthKCHawk

With Campbell winning the Butkus and Campbell awards for the first time in school history, I started thinking about all of the individual awards Iowa players have won under KF:

Davey O'Brien
Outland
Remington
Doak Walker
Mackey
Groza
Butkus
Campbell
Joe Moore
Lott
Broyles
Jim Thorpe
All-American (13)

I may have missed one. That is on top of all of the conference level awards. Near miss on the Heisman and rather shocking we have not had a Ray Guy winner.

I doubt too many coaches have anything close to this sort of success, but I could not find a site in a quick google search that lists awards by coaches.

With Campbell winning the Butkus and Campbell awards for the first time in school history, I started thinking about all of the individual awards Iowa players have won under KF:

Davey O'Brien
Outland
Remington
Doak Walker
Mackey
Groza
Butkus
Campbell
Joe Moore
Lott
Broyles
Jim Thorpe
All-American (13)

I may have missed one. That is on top of all of the conference level awards. Near miss on the Heisman and rather shocking we have not had a Ray Guy winner.

I doubt too many coaches have anything close to this sort of success, but I could not find a site in a quick google search that lists awards by coaches.

Hell, one of the big ten trophies is named after a Ferentz player. Question for you - when they expand the conference aren't they going to have to rename some of the trophies so UCLA and USC aren't left out? I am of the opinion that Orenthal James Simpson is the best player USC has ever had, so will they put his name on the RB trophy or would that minor injury that Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman got to their necks going to keep Orenthal out of the naming process?

Hell, one of the big ten trophies is named after a Ferentz player. Question for you - when they expand the conference aren't they going to have to rename some of the trophies so UCLA and USC aren't left out? I am of the opinion that Orenthal James Simpson is the best player USC has ever had, so will they put his name on the RB trophy or would that minor injury that Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman got to their necks going to keep Orenthal out of the naming process?
OJ was a bit before my time, but I have seen some old footage of him at USC. Wowza. Best slasher I have ever seen.....

Uh, yeah, just in case there is any confusion on this subject, there ain't going to be any awards named after OJ Simpson.

Davey O'Brien
Outland
Remington
Doak Walker
Mackey
Groza
Butkus
Campbell
Joe Moore
Lott
Broyles
Jim Thorpe
All-American (13)

Just a very impressive list. No question. But one thing really stands out. Why hasn’t there been more success on the field. I think fans would trade all of this for more upside on the field from a team standpoint.

Definitely an impressive list. Kirk may frustrate us regularly, but you have to tip your hat to him when it comes to player development and ability to get guys to the next level consistently.

What is odd, though, is his almost complete lack of a coaching tree. Hayden's coaching tree is arguably one of the best in the history of NCAA football, but, despite his longevity, Kirk has had very few assistants go on to have success.

Definitely an impressive list. Kirk may frustrate us regularly, but you have to tip your hat to him when it comes to player development and ability to get guys to the next level consistently.

What is odd, though, is his almost complete lack of a coaching tree. Hayden's coaching tree is arguably one of the best in the history of NCAA football, but, despite his longevity, Kirk has had very few assistants go on to have success.
Mostly because they stay at Iowa?

Quite an NFL career too. He was with Buffalo and the 49ers. Didn't he take a brief ride with the Broncos?
No, at least no carries with Denver. His 49 stay was interesting. They were coming off pretty good rebulding and when they got him they started over. The 9ers had 2 very good running backs in Wilber Jackson and Delvin Williams. Jackson was the first black scholly player at Alabama and still holds the AL record for yards per carry. The also brought in Steve Deberg, maybe the best qb most have never heard of in the NFL history as far as stats +34000 yards. Half of his career games he didn't start.

As a kid I felt bad for OJ as they sold out an up and coming team. No one could guess what was going to happen soon though with the 9ers. OJ's 9er teams won 5 and 2 games in his time there.

No, at least no carries with Denver. His 49 stay was interesting. They were coming off pretty good rebulding and when they got him they started over. The 9ers had 2 very good running backs in Wilber Jackson and Delvin Williams. Jackson was the first black scholly player at Alabama and still holds the AL record for yards per carry. The also brought in Steve Deberg, maybe the best qb most have never heard of in the NFL history as far as stats +34000 yards. Half of his career games he didn't start.

As a kid I felt bad for OJ as they sold out an up and coming team. No one could guess what was going to happen soon though with the 9ers. OJ's 9er teams won 5 and 2 games in his time there.
1402354794000-SIMPSON.jpg

Yes??? SF went from when he signed onto a team that was playoff material with him being a part of that to a firesale to make the team a 2 win team. Which of course paved the way for Montana, Clark and so forth.

At the time I felt bad for him. Last I knew the future wasn't predictable...??? :)

Last edited:
ffs could you miss the joke/point any wider?
No not really. Just asking. You didn't say anything other than the pic so I played along...

To see where the Broco could take it.

Maybe I lived in Minnesotah to long....

They had no sense of humor. At Church they thought the expat Iowans were heretics for laughing in church.

Last edited:
Wow, no discussion of the OJ chase is complete without a mention of the greatest crank call of all time. A guy from Howard Stern's show called in to ABC and got on the air live on the national feed. This crank call is so perfect that I have made my son research it to learn how to execute on a crank call. The key is to not get too deep before you deliver your money line.

OJ Simpson Prank Call 6/17/1994 - YouTube

Since my thread was hijacked in a totally awesome way, I will just add another unreal TV prank. It concerns a real airplane crash, and the prank is not politically correct, so don't click if that is not your cup of tea.

Latest posts