KF Regrets Last Week's Comments About Deuce Hogan

I have a friend who is an associate AD at a Pac 12 school. He said this kind of shit has been off the charts the past 5-10 years. All these parents drove their kids to AAU tournaments from age 9 on. Now that their kids are in college, they just keep following them to campus every weekend, too. This is for both revenue and non-revenue sports - parents want to meet with the coaches all the time, want to meet with the AD, think they should get facetime on a regular basis and answers to their questions. My buddy says it is out of control, that it's just as bad as high school now for coaches and administrators.
You know, that's a really interesting element I never though about. College professors have no relationship with the parents of their students. They cannot release records to them or discuss their students, not that they have any interest in doing so. But college coaches are recruiting these kids, and intentionally building relationships with their parents, relationships they can't just break off in some cases for fear of retribution.

I get the kid transfering to somewhere he can play, I also get the mom thinking he should be playing (90% of parents think this) - but that facebook post won't do him any good. When a potential coach sees that, (and just reads her public facebook page) if they are on the edge of offering, that might push them away.

Along those lines - how many players can you think of that left iowa because they weren't playing - and went to a better school and played? I really can't think of anyone - maybe Jake Rudock, but he was replaced by CJ which I think most will agree was a step up) But I admit I don't keep up with all of those things

I get the kid transfering to somewhere he can play, I also get the mom thinking he should be playing (90% of parents think this) - but that facebook post won't do him any good. When a potential coach sees that, (and just reads her public facebook page) if they are on the edge of offering, that might push them away.

Along those lines - how many players can you think of that left iowa because they weren't playing - and went to a better school and played? I really can't think of anyone - maybe Jake Rudock, but he was replaced by CJ which I think most will agree was a step up) But I admit I don't keep up with all of those things
Kind of crazy we had both of them on the roster at the same time. Compared to what we have now, I'd take Rudock, and Petras isn't that bad. He was really quite good at Michigan. Put Petras behind Michigan's OL and he'd probably be pretty good there, too.

Exactly. He was gone no matter what. Going in to yr 3 if a kid isn't on track to start they see the writing on the wall. That's him to a T. And yeah Most QBs don't because there's only 1 starter. Teams often get 1 qb per class occasionally 2 depending on the circumstances so programs will have like 4-6 qbs (walk ons incluced) usually
Not that this is what you are saying, but I thought I remember during the orange bowl season we had like 18 high school quarterbacks on our team (although only a couple were actually recruited as QB's) - most schools, that is your best athlete, so makes sense that you take the best athlete and try to see if they can play a different position. I think McNutt was a QB

Not that this is what you are saying, but I thought I remember during the orange bowl season we had like 18 high school quarterbacks on our team (although only a couple were actually recruited as QB's) - most schools, that is your best athlete, so makes sense that you take the best athlete and try to see if they can play a different position. I think McNutt was a QB
Hell, it happens in the NFL sometimes. Julian Edelman played QB at Kent State.

Greenway was too...and Scherff was as a junior. Would have liked to see some RPO with that action.

It never came up at the time because it was overshadowed by COVID and then the racial issues, but Kirk made a similarly flippant comment about DJ Johnson about a week before his departure. Something about not being able to throw him out there without spring practice, whereas Des King was ready on Day 1.

Course DJ isn't suiting up for anyone but I wish Kirk would keep these sorts of comments internal.

Yeah no I was just reffering to the players that they bring in with the day 1 intent of being a qb. Yeah McNutt was QB for I want to say 2 seasons before switching to WR. His RS yr and then another he was a QB if I remember right. Most programs have no more than 6 qbs on scholarship usually 4 or 5 is the number.

But yeah I bet this roster has some former HS Qbs on it too that Cooper Dejean kid comes to mind but he wasn't brought in to play QB at all here. (As interesting as that may have been kid is dynamic)

Kirk is so hard to read, I couldn't tell if he was joking or serious. Part of me thinks you don't start out "with all due respect" then act like it was a joke. I think he's been very smug and arrogant in the past few years, but maybe it's just me growing tired of him.

Don't most sport parents believe their kid should be starting? I figure this allows them to save face a little bit, who wants to admit they aren't good enough to play ahead of below average starters? I've rooted for the kid since day one because, well - mostly because he has an awesome name, and also because I liked how he jumped in to help recruit other players before even arriving on campus. But I've gotta believe that if he was good enough he'd have gotten more of a look. Let's see where he lands and what he can do.

Don't most sport parents believe their kid should be starting? I figure this allows them to save face a little bit, who wants to admit they aren't good enough to play ahead of below average starters? I've rooted for the kid since day one because, well - mostly because he has an awesome name, and also because I liked how he jumped in to help recruit other players before even arriving on campus. But I've gotta believe that if he was good enough he'd have gotten more of a look. Let's see where he lands and what he can do.
From a HS coach’s perspective—not college, but the effect is the same—parents literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their kids’ sports nowadays. They think they can buy talent and it’s not the case whatsoever. They freak out when they get to high school and college because they’ve spent every penny they own on AAU, camps, clinics, flights, hotels, and everything else, and the scum bag club coaches tell them their kid is the next Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, or Mike Trout. That’s not exaggerating. Those coaches rake in the money and they blow so much smoke up parents’ asses it looked like a wildfire.

It’s a mental disease. Seriously.

Look at this situation…you have some dumb bitch mom who’s never been involved in a sport in her life other than writing checks and watching youth tournaments who thinks she knows more about quarterbacking than a 40 year Big Ten and NFL coach. Don’t even give these parents a thought, man. They’re complete fucking sociopaths.

From a HS coach’s perspective—not college, but the effect is the same—parents literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their kids’ sports nowadays. They think they can buy talent and it’s not the case whatsoever. They freak out when they get to high school and college because they’ve spent every penny they own on AAU, camps, clinics, flights, hotels, and everything else, and the scum bag club coaches tell them their kid is the next Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, or Mike Trout. That’s not exaggerating. Those coaches rake in the money and they blow so much smoke up parents’ asses it looked like a wildfire.

Look at this situation…you have some dumb bitch mom who’s never been involved in a sport in her life other than writing checks and watching youth tournaments who thinks she knows more about quarterbacking than a 40 year Big Ten and NFL coach. Don’t even give these parents a thought, man. They’re complete fucking sociopaths.
I liked your first paragraph a lot. I was an offensive coach at CR Kennedy for several years. Parents could be brutal. But in those days parents were not so heavily involved through the process you described vey well. Not a good trend.

I thought the second paragraph was over the top, especially the name calling. The use of “bitch”, and in an earlier post, “twat”, were at best, inappropriate and at worst sexist and in poor taste.

Additionally, you are a participating manager in a forum population best described as “knows more about quarterbacking than a 40 year BT and an NFL coach. They’re complete fucking sociopaths.” Gee. You should give us a little more credit…

Additionally, you are a participating manager in a forum population best described as “knows more about quarterbacking than a 40 year BT and an NFL coach. They’re complete fucking sociopaths.” Gee. You should give us a little more credit…
Everyone here with more than 1,000 posts is a sociopath.

Also, all I need to do is start digging up posts from June 2020 to prove everyone’s psychosis. It’s not a pretty thing. Anyone who participated in this board two summers ago and survived it should get a medal and a head examination.

And yes, I am fully capable of running the offense of a Big Ten football team.

I thought the second paragraph was over the top, especially the name calling. The use of “bitch”, and in an earlier post, “twat”, were at best, inappropriate and at worst sexist and in poor taste.
Consider this…

“inappropriate” and “accurate” aren’t mutually exclusive.

Sometimes the truth isn’t what we want to hear. I know for certain that applies to my own life. As before, I’ll offer the following…

Pixels on a screen (or words on a page) have never hurt anyone. It’s up to the reader to be upset or not. When one can discern the difference, everything else can just be laughed at and either dismissed or taken to heart—choice of the reader.

Consider this…

Sometimes the truth isn’t what we want to hear. I know for certain that applies to my own life. As before, I’ll offer the following…

Pixels on a screen (or words on a page) have never hurt anyone. It’s up to the reader to be upset or not. When one can discern the difference, everything else can just be laughed at and either dismissed or taken to heart—choice of the reader.
Sorry, Fry, but if you have concluded words don’t matter you are painfully out of touch with historical reality. The influence of words over the existence of humanity has been the greatest creator of good and evil. Frankly, I cannot believe you made that statement.

Consider this…

Sorry, Fry, but if you have concluded words don’t matter you are painfully out of touch with historical reality. The influence of words over the existence of humanity has been the greatest creator of good and evil. Frankly, I cannot believe you made that statement

Also, all I need to do is start digging up posts from June 2020 to prove everyone’s psychosis. It’s not a pretty thing. Anyone who participated in this board two summers ago and survived it should get a medal and a head examination.

Well, ok. Thanks for the clarification…

Latest posts