KF: Difference between a QB Starter Vs RB Starter

HawkPrdatr40

I certainly understand there is a difference but if KF benches Martin after his fumble to preach ball security. Tell me WTF is the difference between these stupid ass decisions that Stanley continues to make that gives him a free pass?? I’m not saying you bench him for the game but come on send the kid a in the moment message and sit him for a series or 2.. What happened today was a complete travesty!!!

Completely agree. He was awful. Martin is our best back, and sits because of one fumble. Stanley screws up over and over and over and nothing happens.

They said on the TV that IKM injured his ankle. Not sure how much truth to that there is, but you go with the hot hand at RB, and late in the game it was clear that was Sargent.

you do have to be somewhat careful, but at a certain point, the 10 other offensive players are going to give on qb when he continues to miss his targets. He either has terrible performance anxiety at times or was throwing the game.

Completely agree. He was awful. Martin is our best back, and sits because of one fumble. Stanley screws up over and over and over and nothing happens.

Are you certain Martin is our best back? But I agree that Stanley should have been sat, at least for a series or two.

Just sitting him might have helped calm him down. It just seemed like they kept putting too much on his shoulders even when he was clearly in a funk.

What do we do, come out in empty set shotgun for second half. When they failed to regain confidence after 1st drive of second half, thats when he should taken a break. Not saying he be wouldnt take his spot back, our backup hasnt shown all that much.

How about the fact that Amani Jones was pegged our top linebacker all summer and fall, then after just 3 series in his first game, he's pulled, never to return to the lineup unless 3 other guys are hurt. Yes Stanley can make mental error after mental error, over and over and over again, and Kirk doesn't even think about sitting him even for a series.

I remember ol' Iowalaw got banned from this site for citing specific instances where Kirk played favorites. Surely this wouldn't be one of them.

How about the fact that Amani Jones was pegged our top linebacker all summer and fall, then after just 3 series in his first game, he's pulled, never to return to the lineup unless 3 other guys are hurt. Yes Stanley can make mental error after mental error, over and over and over again, and Kirk doesn't even think about sitting him even for a series.

I remember ol' Iowalaw got banned from this site for citing specific instances where Kirk played favorites. Surely this wouldn't be one of them.
It's not, considering Hockaday and Welch are simply better than him. Jones might be a freak athlete, but his reads are slow and poor enough that he's a liability against a team like PSU.

The guy played 1 half since being pulled as a starter. He had 9 tackles that half. While your analysis of his "slow reads" is impressive, his numbers say otherwise. I suppose you think none of Iowa's backup QBs could have completed 36% of their passes today with 2 boneheaded interceptions too? The coach doesn't ever make a mistake on personnel decisions.

It's not, considering Hockaday and Welch are simply better than him. Jones might be a freak athlete, but his reads are slow and poor enough that he's a liability against a team like PSU.

The guy played 1 half since being pulled as a starter. He had 9 tackles that half. While your analysis of his "slow reads" is impressive, his numbers say otherwise. I suppose you think none of Iowa's backup QBs could have completed 36% of their passes today with 2 boneheaded interceptions too? The coach doesn't ever make a mistake on personnel decisions.
I must have forgot the part where Hockaday was playing bad enough to warrant being benched. Jones has also played extensively since the first game, just not as a starter. Hell, he played a ton today.

And considering the OL was bad and PSU loaded the box today, no I don't think either backup QB would have done much better. What has Mansell shown in his appearances other than a marginally better ability to run that would warrant him supplanting Stanley? Or Petras for that regard, considering he's of the same mold of Stanley?

Coaches certainly do make personnel mistakes (see: Beathard, CJ and Taylor, Miles), but more often than not they're far more correct than the average fan who watches 60 min of football per week compared to a coach's ~540 min. Especially one so high and mighty who does a weekly grade report that is more cobbled together and broken than a middle school presentation.

This would be just as accurate.
It's strange. Some days he gets rattled by pressure (aka today), and other days he'll stand in there and throw rockets (OSU last year, bits and pieces of this year).

He's the perfect Iowa QB in that he's maddeningly inconsistent.

It's strange. Some days he gets rattled by pressure (aka today), and other days he'll stand in there and throw rockets (OSU last year, bits and pieces of this year).

He's the perfect Iowa QB in that he's maddeningly inconsistent.
PSU was disguising coverages well today. You could see how confused Stanley was. No progressions. Just locked onto a target and threw bad balls.

no but it sounds like someting Jon would use Mjonir for

I’m coming around to the thinking you are 100% spot on!!

Amani Jones is a loud guy with a lot of personality. Do I need to say more?

The Mike is such a cerebral position. Amani has struggled with making the proper front 7 alignments even after the first game of the season. He got the nod to start the season because he brings the hammer and fills interior gaps well. His deficiencies outweighed his athleticism for Parker. It's hard to second guess the decisions of the best unit of our football team. The other LB's have played well. It's much easier to criticize our all or nothing offense.