KF- developing coaching talent

ChixWings

Every other Saturday or so, during a college footabll game they will show one of those old photos of an Iowa team where Hayden is coaching the Hawks and all the various future head coaches are on his staff. KF included and all the others everyone knows and talks about. Many are formal Iowa players.

Coming out of that mold, one of the things that strikes me about KF, is does he develop coaching talent, whether it is moving coaches around, up the ranks, hiring former players to help recruit and motivate young players? Clearly that was a huge part of the HF legacy. I am not sure that even Hayden could have seen himself as the Godfather of college coaching and I am not saying that was his goal. But clearly he had a vision for building a staff, with young fresh minds.

This is not a fire KF rant. I am not saying he needs to get rid of KOK or Norm. Norm will go when he is ready and maybe that is soon. Time will tell. But as somebody proven to be such a great builder of player talent, KF has chosen the stability route with coaching. Is that the best in the end?

As somebody that has worked in business for several years, that is not how I want to grow a management team. To get the best results, you need the best people working together and hope that I am working with a team of future CEOs.

I think Hayden had it right. Fill the room with a bunch of people smarter than you. KF likes things nice and cozy. Stable. Conservative. Group think.

Maybe I am wrong. Has anybody came out of the KF staff and been hired into a high level coaching job? He has been coaching for around 20 years.

It is my thought that this mentality as it relates to coaching leadership is why we see the same mistakes repeated on game day. I bet that on-side kick surprised the entire coaching staff- or nobody wanted to say anything...

Joe Philbin was hired by the Packers in 2003 and eventually became their offensive coordinator in 2007 he was Iowa's offensive line coach from 99 to 2002, Ron Aiken hired by Cardinals to coach the DLine. Thats two that I know of off the top of my head.

Joe philbin o coordinator undefeated green bay packers....ron aiken cardinals...it seems like ferentz has nfl guys

Ever hear of Brett Bielema? Although fired at SDSU Chuck Long would be another. Pat Flaherty, offensive line coach for the NY Giants, is another Ferentz guy.

The staff was obviously discussing the onside possibility as Kirk said he was standing next to the official considering a timeout.

KF and Hayden have completely opposite philosophies when it comes to assistants, and each philosophy has served them well.

Fry sought out the best of the best young coaches he could find - he wanted guys who he knew were motivated to become head coaches some day.

He knew he'd have more turnover than your average coach, but it worked out very well for him.

Ferentz doesn't take the same approach, obviously.

Kirk might like "yes" men who don't rock the boat and are just happy to be there. Interestingly, I read an article in USA Today about asst. coaching salaries. Mattison is making about 750K at UM, Bama's coordinators are making that much as is Charlie Weis. Malzahn at Auburn is making 1.3 million. I think our coordinators are making about 250K. Clearly, the talent is going where the money is to no surprise. I don't think anyone would ever confuse KOK with Malzahn. Norm is a hell of a coach, can't deny that. However, given his current state of health and mobility, I don't know how effective he is in terms of recruting or making a connection with his players.

If Iowa would ever want one of the big name talents, it would have to pay. Not sure that would be in the cards given KF's bloated salary. Further, I cannot see KF ever taking on any guy that could be seen as a threat to him. Kirk runs that program with an iron fist. It is not a democracy for certain.

I agree. I think that KF's philosophy has served KF VERY well. But I think it has cost us some wins over the years. As one of the highest paid coaches in the country, I think the job is bigger than just trying to get to a bowl every year so the fans and press stay off your back. I would hope that KF does what Barry A did when he left Wisky. Leave before your time is up, with the cupboards full not empty and hand pick your successor.

That will never happen here. And yes, Hayden didn't do that either...

The staff was obviously discussing the onside possibility as Kirk said he was standing next to the official considering a timeout.

KF and Hayden have completely opposite philosophies when it comes to assistants, and each philosophy has served them well.

Hayden liked all his assistants,so while he did not choose to come out with an announced favorite for his successor,he was happy for KF. Stoops,and Paterson were also guys he would have liked to get the job. He just did not want to slant toward a single guy,but clearly,he did groom a successor in KF,among the others.

KF's job is not training future head coaches. It is to win. Norm Parker has established a nation-wide reputation as a defensive coach,with stats to back it up. So,is he not worthy of being D-coordinator because he is not going to go on to be a head coach? Nah.
Iowa had the second most big ten wins the last decade...isn't that what really matters?
How bout we finish the season before blasting the coaching staff?

Every other Saturday or so, during a college footabll game they will show one of those old photos of an Iowa team where Hayden is coaching the Hawks and all the various future head coaches are on his staff. KF included and all the others everyone knows and talks about. Many are formal Iowa players.

Coming out of that mold, one of the things that strikes me about KF, is does he develop coaching talent, whether it is moving coaches around, up the ranks, hiring former players to help recruit and motivate young players? Clearly that was a huge part of the HF legacy. I am not sure that even Hayden could have seen himself as the Godfather of college coaching and I am not saying that was his goal. But clearly he had a vision for building a staff, with young fresh minds.

This is not a fire KF rant. I am not saying he needs to get rid of KOK or Norm. Norm will go when he is ready and maybe that is soon. Time will tell. But as somebody proven to be such a great builder of player talent, KF has chosen the stability route with coaching. Is that the best in the end?

As somebody that has worked in business for several years, that is not how I want to grow a management team. To get the best results, you need the best people working together and hope that I am working with a team of future CEOs.

I think Hayden had it right. Fill the room with a bunch of people smarter than you. KF likes things nice and cozy. Stable. Conservative. Group think.

Maybe I am wrong. Has anybody came out of the KF staff and been hired into a high level coaching job? He has been coaching for around 20 years.

It is my thought that this mentality as it relates to coaching leadership is why we see the same mistakes repeated on game day. I bet that on-side kick surprised the entire coaching staff- or nobody wanted to say anything...

Hayden had at least 10 years on KF when each was hired, if not more. KF hasn't had time to create a "coaching tree".

As for coaches moving out-and-up, it didn't always help Hayden, especially toward the end of his career.

Still, I think stability is big factor in being ABLE to "develop" talent, and it can't "hurt" recruiting.

You could also throw in Brian Ferentz as part of the Ferentz coaching tree I would suggest since he's coaching Tight Ends for Bill Bellicheck (can't spell bellicheck)

Latest posts