KF comments on Wegher situation tonight

iahawk20

Said he talked to BW today....he is in class and leaving football for now and leaving the option open to come back hopefully.

Hoping he has a good semester in school and reevaluates later.

Nothing eath shattering but clear BW will not be a part of this team in 2010, at any point.

Said he talked to BW today....he is in class and leaving football for now and leaving the option open to come back hopefully.

Hoping he has a good semester in school and reevaluates later.

Nothing eath shattering but clear BW will not be a part of this team in 2010, at any point.

so if hes leaving football for the moment is his scholarship yanked??....it probably should be.

so if hes leaving football for the moment is his scholarship yanked??....it probably should be.

He earned it because of his play last year and because there is a chance he may come back next year. Come next season if he has not committed to return to football then his scholly gets pulled.

This situation is just phenomenal to me. It is great that BW is in class, let me say that first and foremost. But how can a kid with that much ability take the route of attending class and NOT wanting to play football? I can not imagine what his "situation" must be. Personally, the pain of regret in 10-15 years would be too much to bear, if I would have given up what he may be giving up.

This situation is just phenomenal to me. It is great that BW is in class, let me say that first and foremost. But how can a kid with that much ability take the route of attending class and NOT wanting to play football? I can not imagine what his "situation" must be. Personally, the pain of regret in 10-15 years would be too much to bear, if I would have given up what he may be giving up.

You have to respect the situation he is in. I'm sure him and his family have thought long and hard about this.

If even half of the stuff we've heard is true, I completely understand why he's taking time off to get his life in order. Football is not out of the picture at this point, it's just not happening this semester. That said, if there are further complications in his situation, he may not ever come back. But he has not shut the door on his career, as it looks right now.

He's a young adult transitioning between his teenage years and adulthood. With the things we have heard it's easy to see why somebody in his situation could get confused and stretched thin. Let him work it out. I really hope this discussion dies soon and he can go about his business. Maybe then he can get his business in order and come back next year if he wants with a renewed purpose. He could be the next "Shonn Greene" type story for the team.

He's a young adult transitioning between his teenage years and adulthood. With the things we have heard it's easy to see why somebody in his situation could get confused and stretched thin. Let him work it out. I really hope this discussion dies soon and he can go about his business. Maybe then he can get his business in order and come back next year if he wants with a renewed purpose. He could be the next "Shonn Greene" type story for the team.

Great post.

I think his decision was influenced by his family a bit. He's got bigger fish to fry right now than football. At least he is still in school. He's going to have to grow up real quick. Well, speaking of growing up, I gotta go. My son is crying. :(

Personal problems aside this kid has been a "Football guy only". He put all his eggs in the football basket, website, worked to become a D1 football player. Now he decides he wants to get away...I for one have a hard time buying that. He isn't the first kid to have to grow up and burn the candle at both ends. He is offered a chance to fulfill his dream of playing football, getting a free education at a top 25 institution and he just walks away. I understand and empathize with his potential troubles we hear about. There are plenty of student/athletes in the same boat as Brandon. Hopefully he realizes the opportunity in front of him and comes back and still fulfills his life commitments.

Personal problems aside this kid has been a "Football guy only". He put all his eggs in the football basket, website, worked to become a D1 football player. Now he decides he wants to get away...I for one have a hard time buying that. He isn't the first kid to have to grow up and burn the candle at both ends. He is offered a chance to fulfill his dream of playing football, getting a free education at a top 25 institution and he just walks away. I understand and empathize with his potential troubles we hear about. There are plenty of student/athletes in the same boat as Brandon. Hopefully he realizes the opportunity in front of him and comes back and still fulfills his life commitments.

Like I said earlier, I don't feel like he's giving up on football. He just needs to get things in order so that if/when he's back, he can devote the same kind of focus to it that he did before. As a kid who worked extremely hard to be a better baseball player, I know I would have taken time off if something big was distracting me. Otherwise you're just not going to be very productive, both at football and trying to work out whatever problem you have. You've got to pick one and fix it.

This needs to put the Wegher talk to rest for the 2010 season. Give the kid his space and if he wants to come back next year, great. If not, then I wish him well in his future endeavors. Let's focus our attention on the guys on the field now.

This whole line of thought, or unthought is redonkulous. What you feel "personally" has absolutely no value in this discussion, nor should it. His ability to play football is a gift, and I'm sure he has other gifts as well. What he does with those gifts is his business and his alone. If he plays great, if he doesn't that's fine too.

For the love of all things holy can we quit trying to analyze his actions with intent to either validate or invalidate them?

BW is a great ball player but not sure he owes us as fans anything. I think we all got excited about him, but he has made his mind up at this point, no matter who helped him make that choice. We can hope he comes back to play ball. I think I am more proud of him for staying in college, than any other TD he scored for us last year. We call individuals like BW a Student-Athlete, not an Athlete-Student. Good luck to him and I personally hope to see him back on the field again.

Correct, BW owes the fans nothing. The team and the University is a different story. Thousands of dollars are being spent on an individual that showed a very poor lack of judgment and is not, at this time, associated with his team. I applaud his decision to stay in school but if your not on the field and at least putting in the same effort that even the walk-ons are giving, sorry no scholly for you. IMO, KF is sending the wrong message to the team by allowing him to stay on scholarship. No, I dont have hard feelings for the decision he has made to take the year off. Everyone handles adversity in a different manner. Is it Saturday yet?

I agree, the scholarship is based on the player fulfilling his end of the deal also. I dont think he should remain on scholarship is he is not playing football. He is on an athletic scholarship, not an academic. If you were on an academic and got poor grades, the scholly would be pulled. Same should go for athletics.

Just consider it a redshirt year. We won't see him play but he's still on the team and has a scholarship. If he's not on the team next year, no scholarship. Simple.

Just consider it a redshirt year. We won't see him play but he's still on the team and has a scholarship. If he's not on the team next year, no scholarship. Simple.

Why consider it a redshirt year? If he was redshirting he is still participating in team activities and training and everything else that goes along with being a member of the team. Him being just a student does not constitute him keeping an athletic scholarship.

Let the kid soak in what is going on and leave him be for the year. If he wants to come back next year, I would love it.

Latest posts