KF and recruiting

Iceman

This is what baffles me. KF runs a consistant clean program. Developes talent, Iowa is on TV every week, many Hawks move on to NFL. If you are a player, why not Iowa? Why do we not recruit better than we do? Should be an easy sell!

I have long wondered this as well. Squeeky clean person and program. Even when we are average, we put as many guys in NFL as anyone. You would think he could show his portfolio of taking numerous 'no-name' guys into NFL, that any top-level recruit would want to sign, since their ultimate goal is to get in NFL and the Ca$h that comes with it.

KF doesn't recruit well because Iowa's system doesn't, for the most part, take advantage of the athleticism of players.

KF says his program isn't sexy. What he means is it's boring and calculating. Highly rated high school athletes who want to show off those highly rated skills won't want to come to Iowa. If mean, for example, if a highly rated high school cornerback spent all that time honing his skills as a cornerback, why would he want to come to Iowa to cover ground and not impress NFL scouts?

If you are a skills player...no reason to go to Iowa...boring...why showcase my blocking?

But perhaps not if BF begins to take over...

Part of it is the stereotype that Iowa is a run first run often program. This hurts recruiting the WR position. As far as line, RB, LB, TE and now d-backs, yes, agree, they should recruit just as well at those positions. What players with aspiration of playing O or D-line in the NFL wouldn't want to go to Iowa with Iowa's success? What RB wouldn't want to run behind Iowa's line? Those need to be selling points and Iowa should consistently get 4* players at those two positions.

A pro-style QB should want to go to Iowa to continue to learn that NFL style.

Again, WR is the tricky one with Iowa, but they can help themselves if they continue to throw just a little more.

Sometimes the program is too squeeky clean to get the top 5* or 4* players as they many times seek programs that can benefit them or their families in a way. This I feel happens more than we like to admit. There's more dirty than there is completely squeeky clean, IMO.

I think a lot is the staff's unwillingness to "play the game" that recruiting has become. They try to sell the program and hard work. They don't go in for glitz, wild over-promises, and offers for the sake of offers. They also heavily prioritize cultural fit (i.e. hard-workers willing to serve the team above individual).

It may not be the most productive strategy from a pure marketing standpoint, but it probably makes it easier to sleep at night and more enjoyable to coach day-in-day-out.

KF doesn't recruit well because Iowa's system doesn't, for the most part, take advantage of the athleticism of players.

KF says his program isn't sexy. What he means is it's boring and calculating. Highly rated high school athletes who want to show off those highly rated skills won't want to come to Iowa. If mean, for example, if a highly rated high school cornerback spent all that time honing his skills as a cornerback, why would he want to come to Iowa to cover ground and not impress NFL scouts?

Oh, you mean like Desmond King or Micah Hyde (current NFL defensive player of the week) or Josh Jackson. Horrible example, IMO.

I think a lot is the staff's unwillingness to "play the game" that recruiting has become. They try to sell the program and hard work. They don't go in for glitz, wild over-promises, and offers for the sake of offers. They also heavily prioritize cultural fit (i.e. hard-workers willing to serve the team above individual).

It may not be the most productive strategy from a pure marketing standpoint, but it probably makes it easier to sleep at night and more enjoyable to coach day-in-day-out.

Correct. They don't want to play that game with the Ohio St and SEC teams of the world. I tell you the top 4* and 5* players wait around for packages presented to them and their families. As illegal as it is it happens. These "packages" may not be offered to the 2 or 3* players and these are the players that filter down to the teams like Iowa, Purdue, Michigan St, Minny, Bowling Green and Miami of Ohio's of the world. This is whey we often battle them for these recruits.

Oh, you mean like Desmond King or Micah Hyde (current NFL defensive player of the week) or Josh Jackson. Horrible example, IMO.
All of those Hawks were cornerbacks in high school (and lower ranked high school recruits) who will be or are already safeties in the pros. Iowa just doesn't teach nor condone that much man on man pass coverage that a cornerback needs to be proficient in..

All of those Hawks were cornerbacks in high school who will be or are already safeties in the pros. Iowa just doesn't teach nor condone that much man on man pass coverage.

I'll give you that. That is true. A lot of zone, but that is to eliminate the big play which is a scheme Iowa likes to run. Part of their game plan.

Bradley Fletcher was a cb. Hyde played slot corner. IA mostly doesn’t churn out NFL corners bc they don’t have NFL elite speed. J Jax will change that. He’s a burner w length. It most certainly is not bc if the scheme.

Bradley Fletcher was a cb. Hyde played slot corner. IA mostly doesn’t churn out NFL corners bc they don’t have NFL elite speed. J Jax will change that. He’s a burner w length. It most certainly is not bc if the scheme.
I'll give you that. Fletcher was the anomaly. Then there was that highly drafted Iowa cornerback to the Lions that washed out after about 3 years in the NFL...and they had to give him 3 years because they paid him so much on his contract.

Which is unappealing to highly rated high school recruits. Face it. KF's system is why Iowa can't recruit.

This is why they have to continue to sell that Iowa is a top 5 NFL feeder program. Stick with Iowa and learn the NFL system/style of play. Iowa runs a NFL style program down to how they play on the field and how they run an NFL style team camp. If players have a problem with that, then F them, Iowa can find someone else.

This is why they have to continue to sell that Iowa is a top 5 NFL feeder program. Stick with Iowa and learn the NFL system/style of play. Iowa runs a NFL style program down to how they play on the field and how they run an NFL style team camp. If players have a problem with that, then F them, Iowa can find someone else.
Right. Iowa can find players who don't have the need to display their athleticism.

Interesting that many of the critics' themes with regard to Iowa recruiting are very consistent with what Wisconsin does, and at least the last few years, have been better teams than Iowa. I live in Wisconsin and that is really painful.

Interesting that many of the critics' themes with regard to Iowa recruiting are very consistent with what Wisconsin does, and at least the last few years, have been better teams than Iowa. I live in Wisconsin and that is really painful.
The difference between Iowa and Wisconsin is: Wisconsin's defense is dominant (no need to compare 4-3 to 3-4) while Iowa's defense is not.

Good god man. Iowa is Corner Back U. Iowa's recruiting has been on the up swing lately. They recruit to a system and certain types of kids. How many stars does a player fall if they commit to Iowa vs. committing to somewhere like Ohio State? Iowa is # 20 in the country currently against the 5th toughest schedule in the country in a year that was considered to be a rebuilding year... what's wrong with our recruits? I like the ones we got.