Key to the loss

BigD

Well there were two key turnovers in the last two minutes of the game that were HUGE. The first one was McCafe’s dribbling the ball and losing it. The second was Jbos errant pass down to Garza. Then we still had a chance to get off one last shot but Nunge was out of position on the rebound on the missed free throw.

The biggest factor however was the two ticky tack fouls they called on Garza that caused him have to sit out a lot of the second half. That was a game changer. You noticed they didn’t show the fouls on a replay. Even so, Fran shouldn’t have waited as long as he did to get Garza back in the game.

Also I noticed on JBo’s last shot to tie the game that it would have been pure luck if the shot had gone in. He was moving and shooting off balance. No way that ball is going in. On that play I have to be critical on the coaching for not setting up a double screen to give Bo an open shot even if it would be from a little further out. Fran will do a one player screen but seldom does he use a double screen.

At this point you just have to look toward the Big Ten tournament and hope everyone is healthy, and also that they have one along with the NCAA tournament.

One more comment, I think if CJ had played we would have still won this game.

No CJ hurt for sure and I have no idea what JBo is doing on offense....not scoring and he still can't play D. Perhaps less podcasting trolling for pay and more concentration on basketball would help?

No CJ hurt for sure and I have no idea what JBo is doing on offense....not scoring and he still can't play D. Perhaps less podcasting trolling for pay and more concentration on basketball would help?
It has been a disappointing year as far as JBo is concerned. The surgery hasn’t really made a large positive improvement. Plus the opposing teams have learned to stay right in his grill by putting a very good defensive player on him. Of course that’s what good defensive coaching is about.

My keys to the loss...missed FTs and no CJ.
Oh yes those missed free throws were very key to this team also. It is very important that we bounce back from this last two games. A third loss in a row would be indicative of the several seasons where we have watched them collapse after looking so promising.

Lol his podcast has nothing to do with his performance. Jordan has given his life to the U of I. He’s replaced 2 hips and sacrificed everything to be a Hawkeye. He’s one of best guards to ever play here. These guys are much more than just basketball players. The podcast rules btw. Go back to the clone board dipshit

Wisconsin is not on this list, but we play them the last game at home. How many of these games are wins and how many are losses? I'm seeing a .500 record for what remains. When the games are tight, we have mental lapses, turnovers, missed free throws. This league is an absolute nightmare for how many good teams we have. Maybe we need to take the "keys" and put the Iowa BB team in drive instead of neutral. Most times we're Indy car racers, but sometimes we're Driving Miss Daisy. Kids need to want these games and riding Luka isn't going to give you victories without everyone consistently chipping in. Yes CJF is out, yes CMAC stepped up, but Jbo is lost and JT is out of control at times. Keep Murray in, give TPerk more minutes. Mix it up Fran and get back in the mix

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-210201.png
    Screenshot_20210129-210201.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 0
I felt like Iowa was the better team. Down a starting guard, home court and cooking for IL. Seriously Luka’s 4th foul? I didn’t come out of this game thinking doom, I thought, holy shit, Iowa’s pretty good. They lost, good teams lose to good teams, especially on the road. Move on, let’s beat Sparty up bad

Last edited:
I felt like Iowa was the better team. Down a starting guard, home court and cooking for IL. Seriously Luka’s 4th foul? I didn’t come out of this game thinking doom, I thought, holy shit, Iowa’s pretty good. They lost, good teams lose to good teams, especially on the road. Move on, let’s beat Sparty up bad
On that fourth foul Garza looked over at someone (probably the official) with a look of disgust and you could tell he was going to say something but he caught himself and just continued down the floor. Post play in the conference looks like try outs for offensive linemen for football in the big ten conference and then you call a fourth foul on the team‘s and conference’s most valuable player for something much less than what they have been seeing every game?

I am not one to complain about officiating but that was ridiculous. Some credit to Fran for not getting a technical for a while and doing a better job of controlling his emotions.

Although some of the officiating was questionable this game was lost by things that were under our teams control that were mentioned in other post.

I agree with these thoughts for the most part. The hawks just came up a little short scoring in the second half of offense. I am going to stop dwelling on our offense's lack of penetration. CJF being out is huge, just a high motor guy who usually scores well and contributes in so many ways.

The key to yesterday's loss was the defense. They are not athletic enough or something to stop the slashing penetration by really good opponents. The one Illinois guy who had 21 pts at halftime was just whizzing by Iowa players and leaving them flat footed. You usually havent seen that kind of slashing since before Bobby Knight and a few others turned Bball defense into a football game/wrestling match back in the early to mid 1970's.

I agree with your statement of feeling Iowa was the better team.

That was a great game and no reason to think negative shit about the Hawks. Illinois played really well and always knocked down a shot when they had to. When they play like that they can play with most anyone, same as the Hawks.

Add Tony Perkins to the list of future big time players on this team. Blows me away how these FRESHMEN can sit on the bench for 30 minutes and come in cold, play fearless and impact the game. Has he passed Ullis on the depth chart? We are in for some exciting ball with the gazelles and athletes that are going to run havoc in the BT.

That was a great game and no reason to think negative shit about the Hawks. Illinois played really well and always knocked down a shot when they had to. When they play like that they can play with most anyone, same as the Hawks.

Add Tony Perkins to the list of future big time players on this team. Blows me away how these FRESHMEN can sit on the bench for 30 minutes and come in cold, play fearless and impact the game. Has he passed Ullis on the depth chart? We are in for some exciting ball with the gazelles and athletes that are going to run havoc in the BT.
Yeah a big bright spot to that game to take away is Perkins to me. He looked great out there. He probably shoulda played more. He gave Ayo more problems then anyone else did. He plays hard he's as athletic of a player as we have. He'll be a great player for us in time. Wish we could get him more time now....

He’s replaced 2 hips and sacrificed everything to be a Hawkeye.
He didn’t have either of his hips replaced. He had some bone spurs cleaned up and they stitched up his labrum in one of them.

I’ve had a labral repair on my left shoulder and right hip. The hip was after I slipped on a ladder carrying shingles. It’s literally two tiny holes that they do laparoscopically and not even any stitches. There’s some PT afterwards, but it is not anything even remotely major. Has it effected his playing? I’m sure it has. Bone spurs hurt like a mofo. But it isn’t some kind of huge ordeal.

Maybe you heard from a source that mislead you which is pretty easy to do in the age of Twitter, but the Gazette and DMR both covered it where Bohannon talked about it.

The only thing I don't agree with in the OP is Nunge on the missed free throw. I put that on Wieskamp much more than Nunge. Nunge had moved his guy out of the play. Wiesy is supposed to get the shooter. No way Cocky should beat him to the rebound. That was just lazy. You could hope that Nunge has the hands to corral the rebound, but we've seen his hands aren't great right now. On a rebound like that, you expect the next guy on the line to be able to sweep in for the loose ball.

I think Ulis plays when we need a 1 and Perkins plays when we need a 2. That’s my take. Fran trusts them both and so do I. I’d add Kris Murray to my circle of trust. This is good news for the rest of this year and for the next 3 (or 4).

Yeah a big bright spot to that game to take away is Perkins to me. He looked great out there. He probably shoulda played more. He gave Ayo more problems then anyone else did. He plays hard he's as athletic of a player as we have. He'll be a great player for us in time. Wish we could get him more time now....
We may gradually see more of Perkins...like we did Murray gradually.

Wisconsin is not on this list, but we play them the last game at home. How many of these games are wins and how many are losses? I'm seeing a .500 record for what remains. When the games are tight, we have mental lapses, turnovers, missed free throws. This league is an absolute nightmare for how many good teams we have. Maybe we need to take the "keys" and put the Iowa BB team in drive instead of neutral. Most times we're Indy car racers, but sometimes we're Driving Miss Daisy. Kids need to want these games and riding Luka isn't going to give you victories without everyone consistently chipping in. Yes CJF is out, yes CMAC stepped up, but Jbo is lost and JT is out of control at times. Keep Murray in, give TPerk more minutes. Mix it up Fran and get back in the mix
We’re #4 on Kenpom...after this loss. We’ve lost a couple games. But we’re the 4th best team in the country with the National POY. I don’t know why so many people think .500, less than 20 wins, etc.

Some references to JBo’s podcasts have been made. Didn’t anyone listen to Bilas? He said weeks ago that teams will play very well and lose...possibly 2 in a row...in this year’s Big 10. The teams that can put it behind them will have success. I’m paraphrasing but let’s be realistic. We still have Garza and we’re still really good!

He didn’t have either of his hips replaced. He had some bone spurs cleaned up and they stitched up his labrum in one of them.

I’ve had a labral repair on my left shoulder and right hip. The hip was after I slipped on a ladder carrying shingles. It’s literally two tiny holes that they do laparoscopically and not even any stitches. There’s some PT afterwards, but it is not anything even remotely major. Has it effected his playing? I’m sure it has. Bone spurs hurt like a mofo. But it isn’t some kind of huge ordeal.

Maybe you heard from a source that mislead you which is pretty easy to do in the age of Twitter, but the Gazette and DMR both covered it where Bohannon talked about it.
I don’t give a shit lol. To insinuate that Jordan shouldn’t be able to do something outside of the game of basketball is trash

Do people not realize JBO is a 5th year student and most likely has a light class load? Doing a pod cast sure as crap isn't taking any time away from his dedication to being the best player he can be for the Hawks.

Some games he is up against better and quicker athletes that make it hard for him to put up big numbers and make him struggle. Big deal! unless you are at the top if the food chain like a Michael Jordan or similar EVERY player on the planet experiences that.

Latest posts