Key stretch: Iowa - ESPN

HawkeyeHypnosis

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

From article:

Prediction: First, we're glad to see the Heartland Trophy game go back to an annual affair. Secondly, the Heroes Game might have finally become a thing after Iowa won last year in Lincoln. There doesn't appear to be a lot separating the Hawkeyes, Badgers and Cornhuskers this season, and health and late-year motivation will play a big role in these two games. Barring a slew of injuries a la 2012, Iowa should win at least one of these games with the Kinnick advantage. We'll say the Hawkeyes go 1-1, just because the teams seem so even that it's virtually a toss-up. But if Iowa wins both, there's a good chance Ferentz's squad will be playing again a week later in Indianapolis.

I'm getting weary of this view that this season simply boils down to the 2 last games. I see tough games with Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota, and yes Iowa State. And don't forget that the hawks never come out on Sept 1st as a well oiled machine....so throw in whomever the first opponent of the year is.

I'm getting weary of this view that this season simply boils down to the 2 last games. I see tough games with Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota, and yes Iowa State. And don't forget that the hawks never come out on Sept 1st as a well oiled machine....so throw in whomever the first opponent of the year is.

This. This is setting up to be a complete failure of a season. Couple players getting pre season all American pub, more getting all big love, predictions as tourney dark horse long shots, etc. It's all shaping up, tobr the perfect let down for what could have been. And as much as players and teams say they dont listen or hear it, I think they do.

First game would be UNI. Don't forget traveling to Pitt. It's not a cakewalk to November than many sportswriters are saying it is. The games still have to be played on the field. I don't think this team will let it get to them like the BB team seemed to. I think they'll use it as motivation knowing what they can accomplish this year.

This. This is setting up to be a complete failure of a season. Couple players getting pre season all American pub, more getting all big love, predictions as tourney dark horse long shots, etc. It's all shaping up, tobr the perfect let down for what could have been. And as much as players and teams say they dont listen or hear it, I think they do.
I disagree. The teams we are playing are just that bad.

It's annoying the reporter did not do his job and pick the 3 or 4 game stretch that is the key stretch. The game at Minnesota should have been included in a 4-game stretch @minny, @ILL, Wiscy, Neb.

The irony is I thought all these pieces by ESPN were boring because it was usually pretty obvious what were the key 3 or 4 game stretches, but the dude still screwed this one up.

It's annoying the reporter did not do his job and pick the 3 or 4 game stretch that is the key stretch. The game at Minnesota should have been included in a 4-game stretch @minny, @ILL, Wiscy, Neb.

The irony is I thought all these pieces by ESPN were boring because it was usually pretty obvious what were the key 3 or 4 game stretches, but the dude still screwed this one up.

Everyone at ESPN is too buy preparing for the 24 hour coverage of what Lebron is going to do. They might as well give him a camera man to follow him everywhere he goes...The key game on the schedule is @ Pitt....If they win on the road early and get some mojo going they will be able to punish the big ten opening schedule. If they lose they will be another 6-6 or 7-5 team. Look at previous years Directional Michigan upsets. It deflates them team and they continue to play down to the level of their competition.

I think as long as we stay injury-free on the lines early in the season and our defensive backfield doesn't routinely blow coverage we should be ok early. Our lines should be good; which will allow us to play risk-adverse, conservative football and beat the weaker teams early even if we haven't worked out all the kinks.

Everyone at ESPN is too buy preparing for the 24 hour coverage of what Lebron is going to do. They might as well give him a camera man to follow him everywhere he goes...The key game on the schedule is @ Pitt....If they win on the road early and get some mojo going they will be able to punish the big ten opening schedule. If they lose they will be another 6-6 or 7-5 team. Look at previous years Directional Michigan upsets. It deflates them team and they continue to play down to the level of their competition.

I wouldn't put Pitt on the same level as a directional team. Pitt has been known to show signs of life from time to time.
I also wouldn't go from being a 10 to 11 win team to 6-6 if they lose to Pitt. I think they could still be an 8-10 win team after a loss to Pitt just based on the schedule.

I agree that while Iowa might be favored in most of their games, it will not be a big favorite. I think Iowa could lose any of the following games: ISU, Pitt, IU, Md, NW, Minny, Wis, Neb....and maybe Ill. and PU. Trying to navigate thru a season like this is not easy for a program like Iowa, which lacks many breather games , and does not pile up scores for easy wins.

I totally agree that the writer was lazy in not including Ill, and Minny....those are road games, border rivals who are lusting for wins over Iowa.
Like to think they can go 3-1 in that stretch, and if the loss is not to Wis/Neb...we can still win the West!

I wouldn't put Pitt on the same level as a directional team. Pitt has been known to show signs of life from time to time.
I also wouldn't go from being a 10 to 11 win team to 6-6 if they lose to Pitt. I think they could still be an 8-10 win team after a loss to Pitt just based on the schedule.

Pitt is definitely an upgrade to WMU or CMU. Iowa always seems to forget to show up and lose a game they shouldn't lose. If Iowa loses to Pitt they could easily come out slow and lose to Iowa State the following week since it is a rivalry game. I don't think they will lose either game but momentum and a teams mental state is important for college teams. If they breeze through the non-conference schedule it is likely they will continue to take care of business against the Purdue's and NW's. With the schedule they have anything less than 9 or 10 wins and if I had to wager I would take the over 8.5 like many others on this site would do.

I totally agree that the writer was lazy in not including Ill, and Minny....those are road games, border rivals who are lusting for wins over Iowa.
They are gutter teams no one cares about. If Illinois is an important game on your schedule, you officially suck. Maybe Purdue circles the Illinois game, but not Iowa.

I've thought the entire offseason that any team on our schedule can beat us (and many have when they shouldn't have). I'm optimistic, but cautiously. A few years ago, UNI ALMOST BEAT US... AT HOME (not to mention a returning multi-year starter at QB & a stub RB)! Non con road games early in the season are always tough for us, hello Pitt. ISU's Super Bowl. Indiana's offense is scary. Road game at Maryland (and they return A LOT of players). Fitz hates Iowa and gets a giant bone when he can beat Iowa (and they return A LOT of players). And speaking of hate... Who hates Iowa???? Minny hates Iowa. Illannoy's coach could be über desperate at that point (or even fired-and the interim is über desperate).

And after all that... You get to the "tough stretch" for Iowa. Offda.

If you're going into the season boasting with confidence because of the "easy schedule"; do yourself a favor, and listen to the OnIowa podcast from last week. Scott and Mark will make you second guess things.

I've thought the entire offseason that any team on our schedule can beat us (and many have when they shouldn't have). I'm optimistic, but cautiously. A few years ago, UNI ALMOST BEAT US... AT HOME (not to mention a returning multi-year starter at QB & a stub RB)! Non con road games early in the season are always tough for us, hello Pitt. ISU's Super Bowl. Indiana's offense is scary. Road game at Maryland (and they return A LOT of players). Fitz hates Iowa and gets a giant bone when he can beat Iowa (and they return A LOT of players). And speaking of hate... Who hates Iowa???? Minny hates Iowa. Illannoy's coach could be über desperate at that point (or even fired-and the interim is über desperate).

And after all that... You get to the "tough stretch" for Iowa. Offda.

If you're going into the season boasting with confidence because of the "easy schedule"; do yourself a favor, and listen to the OnIowa podcast from last week. Scott and Mark will make you second guess things.
Returning a bunch of players doesn't matter if they're crappy players to begin with. If hate and a 3rd rate roster won games, Paul Rhoades would be Nick Saban.

The think I'll be looking to identify is the intangibles of this team. The leadership, the guts, the heart. If that stuff is there, then the hawks can do what people are suggesting they might do. If those things are absent, if this is a collection of individuals, then this team will disappoint.

Returning a bunch of players doesn't matter if they're crappy players to begin with. If hate and a 3rd rate roster won games, Paul Rhoades would be Nick Saban.

If you believe NW is as bad as their record last year suggests, then I can't help you. They lost several close games and are talented. Maryland was a bowling team last year, and have to run he guanlst this year, but return many many players. Don't write them off. And lesser cyclown teams have beaten better Hawkeye teams.

I suggest using a pencil when making your picks this year.

If you believe NW is as bad as their record last year suggests, then I can't help you. They lost several close games and are talented. Maryland was a bowling team last year, and have to run he guanlst this year, but return many many players. Don't write them off. And lesser cyclown teams have beaten better Hawkeye teams.

I suggest using a pencil when making your picks this year.

Northwestern isn't talented. Their QB sucks, and that NW offense doesn't work with a QB that isn't consistently accurate. Also doesn't help their line sucks.

Maryland went 3-5 in the ACC last year. Some of their banner wins were against 3-9 NC St. 2-12 Virginia, 3-9 UConn, 4-8 West Virginia, and perennial powers FIU and Old Dominion. They achieved bowl eligibility by beating teams with 13 combined Division 1 wins. Even Iowa's schedule this year is tougher.

Lesser ISU teams? I don't think we've ever seen a lesser ISU team. They don't have a QB, they don't have a defense, they're on the road, and they're replacing like 7 coaches.

Write it in pen. Carve it in stone. Ink it on your skin. Get a giant laser and engrave it in the moon. We win these three easy.

Northwestern isn't talented. Their QB sucks, and that NW offense doesn't work with a QB that isn't consistently accurate. Also doesn't help their line sucks.

Maryland went 3-5 in the ACC last year. Some of their banner wins were against 3-9 NC St. 2-12 Virginia, 3-9 UConn, 4-8 West Virginia, and perennial powers FIU and Old Dominion. They achieved bowl eligibility by beating teams with 13 combined Division 1 wins. Even Iowa's schedule this year is tougher.

Since when does NW ever have QBs that suck? Last year is last year. Iowa won't be playing with or against last years' team(s).

I see Iowa finishing 9-3 ... losing to either Wisky or Nebby (most likely Wisky) ... Losing either at Pitt or at Maryland ... and then dropping another game along the way it simply should not drop (i.e. @Minny) ... On paper we should beat both Pitt and Maryland but winning on the road is tough ... no matter who you are ... We will not lose to ISU ... In fact, I think we beat them handily this season ...

Latest posts