Kevonte Martin-Manley small pic on the cover of The Sporting News.

docholihawk

KMM has a small pic in the corner of the Sporting News college outlook magazine. Under the pic it says All-American kick returner. I didn't read the article just saw it at the gas station. Has anybody read this or heard about it. I had a subscription to the Sporting News for 37 years but stopped in 2011. From 2009-2011 the magazine changed and tried to be a copy of ESPN-The Magazine. Since I get the ESPN magazine for a dollar a year I stopped getting The Sporting News. RIP Sporting News, a proud tradition who became afraid to stand alone and joined the masses.

I don't read either one...just curious, what did the Sporting News do in the past
that they no longer do that caused you to cancel?

Sporting News has gone from an information-dense publication that earned it the moniker "The Bible of Baseball" to a sporting version of InTouch magazine. For those of you who don't know, InTouch is a lesser version of People magazine. Last I saw, there is literally a "sport celebs on the town" photo section near the front that is similar to the gossip mags, so we can see what our favorite stars wore to the Green Lantern premiere.

Iowa ' s whole punt return situation was one of the most interesting side stories last year. First with KMM's 2 punt returns against WMU, one of the worst teams Iowa has played recently.

Then the big controversy that Iowa can't stop fake punts and Ferentz threatening to never return a punt again. Then Iowa fans had to wait 3 weeks to find out if he was bluffing or not. (Ferentz was bluffing)

Then in final regular season game, Iowa finally stops a fake punt for first time in 5 years.

Anyway, anyone who is putting KMM on preseason all - American teams is just looking at last season's stats for returning players and totally miss - interpreting KMM's punt returning ability because his numbers are so skewed by the WMU game last year. And does not take into account Iowa ' s recent emphasis on stopping fake punts.

Of course, then again, special team returns and kick coverage are always a mystery to predict with iowa.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell sometimes how good a returner is on a Iowa team. It seemed like all Mich Hyde did at Iowa was fair catch punts or just let them drop. In fact Hyde was more famous for his interception pick-6 returns than any punt return he ever did at Iowa. Then he goes to the NFL and suddenly he can return kicks.

KMM seems more willing to catch and try to return punts than Hyde did, which makes him a more high risk- high return option (literally, lol).

Latest posts