"Ken O'Keefe makes you a better person, better player"

it is interesting that people biatch about iowa's offense under the KF/KOK tenure. How boring it is, how conservative it is, etc.

top 3 receivers all-time Iowa come from this time period...

Typical troll by Hawkcrush. He writes something defamatory or inflammatory & comes back saying he was being sarcastic. Just ignore his posts & he will go away.

Quite interesting, that you one of the most negative posters on the board, day in an out call someone else out. If you have ever read any of my posts most of the time I am joking in one way or another. You take this way to seriously if you can't see it. And how was waht I wrote in any way defamatory, use words you can understand, it will go along way.

it is interesting that people biatch about iowa's offense under the KF/KOK tenure. How boring it is, how conservative it is, etc.

The offensive rankings that Miller posted are kind of the point of what people are complaining about

From BHGP:
In the last ten seasons, Iowa's offense has finished in the Big Ten's top five scoring offenses once, and that was with a Doak Walker Award-winning halfback in the backfield. Since 2004, Iowa's average conference rank in both scoring offense and total offense has been seventh. There was the disastrous 2007 season, when a young offense finished last in the conference in every relevant offensive statistic. There was 2009, when Iowa won eleven games and an Orange Bowl despite finishing tenth in the conference in scoring and total offense (and, yes, ESPN guy, there was quite deserved criticism that year). There was mediocrity everywhere else.

His playcalling was somehow both completely inexplicable and endlessly predictable. He had a tendency to take a gimmick -- the bubble screen, the throwback screen, most recently the end around -- and run it into the ground. He would take a simple concept and strip out the thing that made it effective in the first place (the multiple-formation no-huddle that Iowa used early this season is a prime example; for reasons passing understanding, Iowa took the no-huddle offense to Penn State and ran every play from the same three-wide formation, so that Penn State's defense was not stuck with inappropriate personnel packages for defensing the offense). There was a playbook so limited that Iowa was reduced to drawing a slant pattern in the dirt at the end of the 2009 Michigan State game because there wasn't a slant in that week's playbook.

From BHGP:
In the last ten seasons, Iowa's offense has finished in the Big Ten's top five scoring offenses once, and that was with a Doak Walker Award-winning halfback in the backfield. Since 2004, Iowa's average conference rank in both scoring offense and total offense has been seventh. There was the disastrous 2007 season, when a young offense finished last in the conference in every relevant offensive statistic. There was 2009, when Iowa won eleven games and an Orange Bowl despite finishing tenth in the conference in scoring and total offense (and, yes, ESPN guy, there was quite deserved criticism that year). There was mediocrity everywhere else.

His playcalling was somehow both completely inexplicable and endlessly predictable. He had a tendency to take a gimmick -- the bubble screen, the throwback screen, most recently the end around -- and run it into the ground. He would take a simple concept and strip out the thing that made it effective in the first place (the multiple-formation no-huddle that Iowa used early this season is a prime example; for reasons passing understanding, Iowa took the no-huddle offense to Penn State and ran every play from the same three-wide formation, so that Penn State's defense was not stuck with inappropriate personnel packages for defensing the offense). There was a playbook so limited that Iowa was reduced to drawing a slant pattern in the dirt at the end of the 2009 Michigan State game because there wasn't a slant in that week's playbook.

I wonder how much truth in the last sentence? Is this from a random poster?

From BHGP:

I couldn’t resist this…….the highlighted above is nothing short of mind numbing. To think anyone would truly believe this, to the point they would put it in “print” and then “prop” it up as an example is beyond comprehension and can’t even be explained…..

And if true to think ANYONE would offer him a job in the NFL or WE ever scored above 20 points is earth shattering, and I do mean earth shattering. It is THIS logic that honestly….I’m just amazed that people truly, truly believe this…its really quite sad.

Last edited:
KOK lovers understand this. This is the first year we really needed the offense to win us games, and it didn't get done. Put up all the stats and conjecture you want. The numbers do point to the fact our offense was average at best. And if you beleive in KF then this decision was a good one.

McNutt is the best receiver in school history. He would have raked under Hayden, too. So would have DJK. Their production was not because of the playcalling/philosophy. They were simply among the best talents at the WR position that we've ever had.

O'keefe was very well liked. I wouldnt expect you to get that. Amazing the lack of class some have....clueless really. Just shows how little this poor knows about iowa fball.

Of all that I have heard about Hawkeye coaches, and that is a lot for any of us, every coach spoken of, was spoken as being very well liked. With the exception of two, one is in Nebby right now, and the other coached the offensive line during Hayden's latter years. Being well liked does not make them any better a coach...

That said, good move by KOK, for both himself and his future, and the exact same for his friend KF and his future.

Last edited:
I couldn’t resist this…….the highlighted above is nothing short of mind numbing. To think anyone would truly believe this, to the point they would put it in “print” and then “prop” it up as an example is beyond comprehension and can’t even be explained…..

And if true to think ANYONE would offer him a job in the NFL or WE ever scored above 20 points is earth shattering, and I do mean earth shattering. It is THIS logic that honestly….I’m just amazed that people truly, truly believe this…its really quite sad.
He is going to be a wr coach for one of his good buddies. Not an OC. For a buddy. Get over it. I actually felt the first paragraph about the pathetic offensive results was the more important one, anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts