Keeping Up With The Cyclones

The Hawkeye Network will dedicate half of its air time to athletics programming, including coaches shows, student-athlete profiles and sporting events, though not football or men’s basketball, said Scott Ketelsen, UI director of marketing and media production.

The other half of the network’s schedule will feature campus programming such as “Conversations from the Writer’s Workshop” and “Iowa Magazine,” which currently air on the Big Ten Network, as well as academic programming.

facepalm.jpg

The Hawkeye Network will dedicate half of its air time to athletics programming, including coaches shows, student-athlete profiles and sporting events, though not football or men’s basketball, said Scott Ketelsen, UI director of marketing and media production.

The other half of the network’s schedule will feature campus programming such as “Conversations from the Writer’s Workshop” and “Iowa Magazine,” which currently air on the Big Ten Network, as well as academic programming.

facepalm.jpg

What? You're not SUPER EXCITED to watch writers sitting around talking about writing? You're not a true Iowa fan!

I am sure many Iowa fans will watch this, such as shut-ins who lost the remote, insomniacs looking for something to put them asleep, relatives of Field Hockey players, and alcoholics who passed out while channel surfing.

So if someone were to watch U of I educational programing would they still be considered a Tavern Hawk?

A certain staff member will have a 30 minute show about which brand of gum is the best to chew during games.

HOW DO I ORDER MEDIACOM?!?!??! I NEED IT NOW. THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER. WE HAVE THE BEST A.D. EVER. OMG WE ARE RICH.

This would of been the coolest thing ever if we were the first to do it. Instead, we are following the Clowns, who followed the Horns (be it on a much smaller scale), so now it is just dumb. Dumb, D-umb, DUMB!

The more each University can promote itself the better in my opinion. Where I do head scratch is ISU's AD inferring that this is somehow of the same level as the Longhorn Network. It's great to be on TV, but at the end of the day I cannot imagine Mediacom making more than a ham sandwich from Iowa's channel and maybe just the pickle for ISU's.

The more each University can promote itself the better in my opinion. Where I do head scratch is ISU's AD inferring that this is somehow of the same level as the Longhorn Network. It's great to be on TV, but at the end of the day I cannot imagine Mediacom making more than a ham sandwich from Iowa's channel and maybe just the pickle for ISU's.

Mediacom has more subscribers in the midwest than the Longhorn Network has nationwide. The difference for Iowa and Iowa State is that the things people actually want to watch (MBB and football) are owned by the BTN where as ISU has no third party network to show their games and it is left to the school to determine how to use their third party rights. I have no sources for these statements, they are my guesses.

I am sure many Iowa fans will watch this, such as shut-ins who lost the remote, insomniacs looking for something to put them asleep, relatives of Field Hockey players, and alcoholics who passed out while channel surfing.

Field Hockey is awesome.

Now this is funny stuff. Mediacom needs all the help it can get.

We all see what satellite TV has done to cable. It would be good great to get even more competition.

Netflix and Hulu online shown on your 50 inch HD TV is pretty damn good.

Netflix Online at 8 bucks a month has 750+ titles to choose from and many are series with multiple shows.

It wont be long and you will be showing your Big 10 Network online show on TV.

So does this mean we will get to see a Jonathan Franzen-Dave Eggers one-on-one hoops throwdown?

I'd watch.

This would of been the coolest thing ever if we were the first to do it. Instead, we are following the Clowns, who followed the Horns (be it on a much smaller scale), so now it is just dumb. Dumb, D-umb, DUMB!

It isn't dumb. While I have no idea how much revenue this will actually generate whatever amount it does goes all to Iowa and not shared with 11 other schools plus gets other things on TV that normally wouldn't have been.

With that said I still won't be able to watch anything because even with this there is still no way in hell I switch back to Mediacom.

Now this is funny stuff. Mediacom needs all the help it can get.

We all see what satellite TV has done to cable. It would be good great to get even more competition.

Netflix and Hulu online shown on your 50 inch HD TV is pretty damn good.

Netflix Online at 8 bucks a month has 750+ titles to choose from and many are series with multiple shows.

It wont be long and you will be showing your Big 10 Network online show on TV.

We invested in a Roku & canceled cable. We pay $8 X 2 to Netflix (we watch a lot of old movies & need the DVD service) plus another $8 to Hulu plus. The digital signal over rabbit ears for local channels is crystal clear. About the only thing we miss is the DVR - which is possible the greatest invention known to man - but considering this shaved something like $65 off our monthly expenses, this has been well worth it (not sure we'll ever go back).

We invested in a Roku & canceled cable. We pay $8 X 2 to Netflix (we watch a lot of old movies & need the DVD service) plus another $8 to Hulu plus. The digital signal over rabbit ears for local channels is crystal clear. About the only thing we miss is the DVR - which is possible the greatest invention known to man - but considering this shaved something like $65 off our monthly expenses, this has been well worth it (not sure we'll ever go back).

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live. I've thought about doing this, but I live in Iowa City, and am not sure how strong the signals are out of Cedar Rapids & Waterloo for ABC/NBC/CBS. According to the FCC, the signal is "Moderate" for most of those. Not sure how good "Moderate" is. The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps That's also assuming an outdoor antenna 30 feet off the ground, which I don't, and won't, have. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts