KCRG: University of Iowa Football Player Cited for Theft

ICHAWK82

University of Iowa Football Player Cited for Theft | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News

Story Created: Jul 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM CDT

Story Updated: Jul 16, 2012 at 7:02 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa – A University of Iowa running back was cited by Coralville police last Friday after allegedly changing the price tag on a shirt to a lower value at a department store.

Marcus A. Binns, 21, faces a charge of fifth-degree theft for the incident at the Dillard’s in Coral Ridge Mall.

Police were called to the store at 6:30 p.m. July 13 after a security officer saw Binns switch tags from one shirt to another, changing the value from $75 to $17.32, according to a criminal complaint.

Coralville police Lt. Shane Kron said Binns had purchased the shirt and was then confronted about changing the price tags.

Binns, of Iowa City, was not arrested and instead signed the complaint and was released, as is common for such a charge, Kron said.

The complaint says Binns is to appear at the Johnson County Courthouse on Aug. 1.

Fifth-degree theft is a simple misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $625 fine.

Binns, a sophomore walk-on from St. Paul, Minn., did not play in a game last season. He is the younger brother of former Iowa defensive lineman Broderick Binns.

A football team spokesman did not immediately return phone and email messages seeking comment.

AIRBHG already commented on Twitter:

"Did I ever tell you ****bags how much I ******* LOVE shopping at Dillard's? Well....I do"

It bothers me when people say, or type that A word above. It really shouldn't be spoken. Kinda like the S word in golf, ya know?

Is what really is lost on all of us is that a a TEE or shirt or Jersey actually retails at $75 plus especially given they pay the 50 cent an hour to produce the product.

Hmmm difference between $.50 and $75 and who gets the cut and a walk-on football player suggests to the rest of the world... a bit over-priced?

Or at least pay the "slave" labor more than 50 cent an hour?

Is what really is lost on all of us is that a a TEE or shirt or Jersey actually retails at $75 plus especially given they pay the 50 cent an hour to produce the product.

Hmmm difference between $.50 and $75 and who gets the cut and a walk-on football player suggests to the rest of the world... a bit over-priced?

Yeah, blame the store and "corporate America". That's taking responsibility and accountability to the maximum...

WOW...and I guess businesses 'deserve' to be hit by flash mobs too?

Hope you never become a parent.

Latest posts