Katz says Sandfort likely to be back

longtimer

Watched Big Ten today and they were talking draft. When it came to Sandfort Katz said he talked with him and got the impression he would come back? He thought if Sandfort got some NIL money he would likely be back. May be the difference between 1st and second division and tournament

Also saw where Traore may be coming as well?

Yeah sounded like he stunk up the joint. Picked a bad day to have a bad day. Good for us though. Fran will welcome him back with open arms. Sandfort needs to look no further then at how Joe Ws career has gone. That's probably PSs ceiling if he can even reach that. He should get him on the phone to pick his brain about what that's all about bouncing around the Gleague and see if that's what he'd prefer doing or not.

PS is a streaky shooter. He can have a lights out game or two sure. But he can be really bad too. He's inconsistent with not a lot of middle ground. I think I saw he graded out as one of the least athletic guys there too. No surprise....

I don't think another yr is going to help his stock much either btw. Physically he is who he is. This is why I thought that there's a chance he might really go after hearing more about some of the recent hype around him. End of the day though he's just not an NBA talent. He's maybe an end of the bench sniper you bring in situationally at best. But if people think he's going to be the next Duncan Robinson or Kyle Korver they are sorely mistaken. That's not what he is.

Color me shocked.

And, whether he had an off game in one or two open gyms does not matter. At this point in his career he is a late second at best based on a lot of tape and measurables. Even at Iowa, NIL money is going to be better than G League money. He will be in no worse position to take his shot next year. What he needs is a tape of an entire season where he shoots 40% from 3 and shows he can be serviceable on D at the next level. That may open the door a bit wider. I agree that he is NOT Kyle Korver at this point, but if he wants any hope of playing in the NBA, that is who he better become over the next 12 months.

Selfishly, I am glad he is coming back. However, no pun intended I would have understood if he wanted to shoot his shot in this weak draft.

A guy from 247sports

Payton Sandfort, Iowa

Sandfort gained definite momentum as his season at Iowa went on. He's got wing size, shooting, and passing ability that should all translate. The problems are physical strength and defense. The latter was pretty glaring this week.

What would I do? Go back to college.

It was candidly a bit of a rough week in Chicago for Sandfort, which might squash any first-round chatter. He'll likely be the offensive focal point next year at Iowa and can simultaneously develop his body and defense.

They don't put a ton of stock in the actual games at the Combine, more in everything else like interviews, tapes and individual work outs. The reason being that these teams are put together days before they play. They've never played with any of these other players so there is no chemistry. The only players that get to have the ball in their hands are the PG's and his poor play on the game day likely didn't help him but also likely didn't hurt him as much as you'd think. That said, he's likely to come back and that's good for Iowa. He loves Iowa so I don't think he'd play anywhere else.

He is pretty skinny for an NBA perimeter guy. I am sure he got valuable feedback, and part of that is probably adding 10-15 pounds of muscle while upping his 3-point percentage. Those are hard things to do at 22, but he is a hard worker. Fran has a system that showcases shooters.

I agree with those saying that second round, this year or next would be his draft ceiling.

I would say he's headed to the G League, whenever that is, and see if he can't find a roster spot somewhere.

That seems to be the Hawkeye mode of the last several years, except for Luka. Joe Weiskamp still trying to crack a roster toiling in the g league last I knew. Peter Jok tried before going to France. Jarrod Uthoff averaged a double-double in the g league, 20 pts-10 rbs and couldn't stick and now plays in Japan. Tyler Cook never did develop a jump shot and is now in Japan. Aaron White proably saw the handwriting on the wall early that he would never develop a 3 and has had a nice overseas career and is now playing in Japan (am I sensing a trend here).

In the mock drafts I peruse, I'm amazed at how many of the draftees are now international with France leading the way.

One thing about most of these ex Hawks is that they've each made several million dollars and that's pretty damn good. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I agree with those saying that second round, this year or next would be his draft ceiling.

I would say he's headed to the G League, whenever that is, and see if he can't find a roster spot somewhere.

That seems to be the Hawkeye mode of the last several years, except for Luka. Joe Weiskamp still trying to crack a roster toiling in the g league last I knew. Peter Jok tried before going to France. Jarrod Uthoff averaged a double-double in the g league, 20 pts-10 rbs and couldn't stick and now plays in Japan. Tyler Cook never did develop a jump shot and is now in Japan. Aaron White proably saw the handwriting on the wall early that he would never develop a 3 and has had a nice overseas career and is now playing in Japan (am I sensing a trend here).

In the mock drafts I peruse, I'm amazed at how many of the draftees are now international with France leading the way.

One thing about most of these ex Hawks is that they've each made several million dollars and that's pretty damn good. I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Tyler Cook was playing in Australia recently, not Japan. I didn't realize that Aaron White played this year in Japan. I live in Japan and follow the pro basketball here a little. Other former Hawks currently in Japan are Ryan Kriener and Jarrod Uthoff. I have a BBQ food trailer (side business) and Ryan stopped by a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• 444760910_1178661793569916_7424744605668948582_n.jpg
    444760910_1178661793569916_7424744605668948582_n.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Tyler Cook was playing in Australia recently, not Japan. Aaron White plays in Europe. I live in Japan and follow the pro basketball here a little. The former Hawks currently in Japan are Ryan Kriener and Jarrod Uthoff. I have a BBQ food trailer (side business) and Ryan stopped by a couple of weeks ago.

Cool

Might be the first post on Hawkeye Nation from The Land of the Rising Sun

:cool:

Last edited:
Tyler Cook was playing in Australia recently, not Japan. I didn't realize that Aaron White played this year in Japan. I live in Japan and follow the pro basketball here a little. Other former Hawks currently in Japan are Ryan Kriener and Jarrod Uthoff. I have a BBQ food trailer (side business) and Ryan stopped by a couple of weeks ago.
That's pretty bad ass

Which one are you?

I had a close friend who lived in Japan for two year back in the early 80’s. He picked up some of the language there. He taught me how to say some words but I have forgotten some of it. He grew up in the same small Iowa town that I did. We were big Iowa Hawkeye fans. He passed away seven years. He told me he lived in the area that later got hit by a massive tsunami. I was saddened for the Japanese people who died during that event. If I remember correctly I believe the area was know as Sendai, Japan.

Pardon the spelling but: Basketball wa Nihongawa Nondeska. Of course the spelling is way off but in English it sounded that way. How do you say basketball in Japaneese? Of course when talking about the a foxy Japaneese woman I remember him saying what sounded like “bejeanwa” in English. I am sure it is not spelled that way.

Combahwah Ogekiwah Nadahska? Like I said that was a long, long time ago he tried to teach me a few words.

I had a close friend who lived in Japan for two year back in the early 80’s. He picked up some of the language there. He taught me how to say some words but I have forgotten some of it. He grew up in the same small Iowa town that I did. We were big Iowa Hawkeye fans. He passed away seven years. He told me he lived in the area that later got hit by a massive tsunami. I was saddened for the Japanese people who died during that event. If I remember correctly I believe the area was know as Sendai, Japan.

Pardon the spelling but: Basketball wa Nihongawa Nondeska. Of course the spelling is way off but in English it sounded that way. How do you say basketball in Japaneese? Of course when talking about the a foxy Japaneese woman I remember him saying what sounded like “bejeanwa” in English. I am sure it is not spelled that way.

Combahwah Ogekiwah Nadahska? Like I said that was a long, long time ago he tried to teach me a few words.
Basketball in Japanese is Basuketobaru. Or something like that. Interesting to hear about your friend. We are heading up to Sendai in a few weeks. Great Dane Brewing from Madison, Wisconsin just opened a brewery and restaurant up there.

Latest posts