Karate video of former Hawk Andre Tippet

skinnykilmer17

Another thread proclaimed Adrian Clayborn the best at his position in Hawkeye history. For those of us who remember Andre Tippet, not so fast. One thing is certain Andre was also an accomplished black belt in karate. Check out the poor guy around the 1:40 mark. Too bad the leg sweep isn't legal in football.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5OH8uSt_x4&feature=related]YouTube - Andre Tippett, various Jiyu kumite matches[/ame]

Andre Tippett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it seems they don't have size classifications in karate?
... quite a few physical mismatches there

it seems they don't have size classifications in karate?
... quite a few physical mismatches there

That didn't stop Bruce Lee. He could handle ten Tippet's.;)

But seriously, could you imagine how even more dominating Clayborn could be at shedding offensive lineman with some martial arts training. The speed, power and agility karate training provided really helped Tippet dominate offensive lineman. It was also pointed out that his 100 career sacks in the NFL came while he was a strongside linebacker (opposite the tight end) so that number is even more impressive.

While Andre is certainly one of my all-time fave Hawks, the difference in the game, mostly siz-related, between Andre or Leroy Smith (Andre was listed at 235, Smith at 215 while Adrian goes an easy 275 if not 285) can't be discounted.

In today's version of the game, neither Andre or Andre would be a DE. They also played in a 5-2, while Adrian plays in a 4-3.

Pure and simple, Adrian is surrounded by some of the most athletic teammates on that side of the ball I have ever seen at IOWA. Frankly, I don't think we've ever been this deep at the skill positions, either, current RB injuries notwithstanding.

But Andre was certainly one heck of a player to watch. Dropping back in coverage, monster sacks, run-stuffing in the extreme. A deserved All-America his senior season.

Fun to compare he and AC, but unfair to both given the way the game has "evolved".

Although Andre was a Hawk when I was an infant, I have heard a lot about him over the years. I actually met him at the 2004 Fanfest in IC. GREAT guy! He also was wearing all 3 of his Patriots Super Bowl rings. WOW! I still have a pic of me, AT, Greenway and Hodge. Four scary asss dudes! :eek:;)

Still have my Andre auto'ed ball from the Rose Bowl Team. James Erb carried the ball around the dorms and got signers for me. Little did I know back then that Andre would end up in the NFL HOF.

Although Andre was a Hawk when I was an infant, I have heard a lot about him over the years. I actually met him at the 2004 Fanfest in IC. GREAT guy! He also was wearing all 3 of his Patriots Super Bowl rings. WOW! I still have a pic of me, AT, Greenway and Hodge. Four scary asss dudes! :eek:;)

At least 75% of this statement is 100% TRUE!

While Andre is certainly one of my all-time fave Hawks, the difference in the game, mostly siz-related, between Andre or Leroy Smith (Andre was listed at 235, Smith at 215 while Adrian goes an easy 275 if not 285) can't be discounted.

In today's version of the game, neither Andre or Andre would be a DE. They also played in a 5-2, while Adrian plays in a 4-3.

Pure and simple, Adrian is surrounded by some of the most athletic teammates on that side of the ball I have ever seen at IOWA. Frankly, I don't think we've ever been this deep at the skill positions, either, current RB injuries notwithstanding.

But Andre was certainly one heck of a player to watch. Dropping back in coverage, monster sacks, run-stuffing in the extreme. A deserved All-America his senior season.

Fun to compare he and AC, but unfair to both given the way the game has "evolved".

Good point, my friend with the photographic memory, who has been MIA from posting for a while. :)

Another thread proclaimed Adrian Clayborn the best at his position in Hawkeye history. For those of us who remember Andre Tippet, not so fast. One thing is certain Andre was also an accomplished black belt in karate. Check out the poor guy around the 1:40 mark. Too bad the leg sweep isn't legal in football.
I grew up in Iowa Falls. Andre Was at Ellsworth playing defensive end for a year for Ellsworth. He was into Karate back then as well. I remember up at the Ellswroth Gym two of the local hoodlums tried to start some crap with him thinking they were tough guys. He put footprints all over their chests. Messed em up real good.

I think we should have a Karate video contest in which we all make our own awsome karate videos and then vote on whos is the awsomest.

Pure and saimple, Andre was a beast...but he wasn't "the" Beast!

ROFLMAO - now that's funny! We are bringing in "the Beast" for a 1 hr. cameo at Joe's Place b4 MSU game (extra incentive to get you to come up and witness "Beast III-AC94" in person). 5 barking dogs, do I hear 6?

Latest posts