K. Ferentz Talked Today About Late Recruiting Period, Transfer Portal

Is recruiting guys who have graduated from their school but still have a year left improper?

If they're in the portal, they're fair game. If you reach out to guys on scholarship at other schools not in the portal, that's a violation.

I'd love to see the Hawks get a DE and/or DT who is/are ready made for some snaps next year.

I think we’re ok at DE, maybe bring in a DT for depth. I would also be looking at someone at the SS spot. Another punter for depth and competition. Other than that, I think we’re good everywhere else.

I think we’re ok at DE, maybe bring in a DT for depth. I would also be looking at someone at the SS spot. Another punter for depth and competition. Other than that, I think we’re good everywhere else.
Yeah I agree. We seem to be in good shape really. Even with all the guys leaving and graduation. Losing Ezra Miller is a hit to the Oline depth. But even still I think we are alright. I'm fired up to see how offense does next yr

I'd love to see the Hawks get a DE and/or DT who is/are ready made for some snaps next year.
Gotta be careful with that, though.

IMO doing that at a position like DE/DT isn’t good for recruiting and isn’t going to keep good underclassmen around. With Iowa being a “developmental“ team and relying on guys coming up through the program you could really hurt the dynamic. Teams like OSU or Michigan who pretty much recruit themselves could get away with it but it wouldn’t take long at Iowa to really start turning recruits off.

What makes it difficult for Iowa in the portal is that it's selective, even though KF didn't want to use that word.

The staff will thoroughly vet any potential addition, making sure it isn't someone who will compromise the culture. It's unlikely to risk that.

What makes it difficult for Iowa in the portal is that it's selective, even though KF didn't want to use that word.

The staff will thoroughly vet any potential addition, making sure it isn't someone who will compromise the culture. It's unlikely to risk that.
From the outside, that appears to be sacrosanct with Ferentz. He had enough of that 10 years ago or so. That's not happening any longer.

Sounds like E. Miller had a pretty serious injury to end his career...

Iowa needs more D linemen for the rotation. If one can come in and stand out that would even be better. But the rotation is where Iowa needs help right now.

Latest posts