JVB break out game?

piperhawk

Even though I am among the haters. I believe tonight that James gets it going A qb missing its main offensive threat, playing a home night game against a team that is finally going to be in a hostile enviornment I believe is the perfect recipe for his success...this is one time that I hope my doubt in JVB is proven wrong

People have to keep something in mind when criticizing James Vandenberg - he's playing in a completely different system.

While I understand he has played pretty poorly, it isn't an easy transition switching from the offense you've known for the last four years, especially if it's based on much more coverage reading on both the QB and WRs part. I don't believe this year's struggles have much to do with talent.

Take a look at San Francisco QB Alex Smith. He was the No. 1 overall draft pick coming out of college, so he obviously had some talent. He struggled through his first 6-7 years, but had a different offensive coordinator and different system every single year. This year, he's finally had some continuity from the previous season and he's flourishing. Through 5 weeks, he was the NFL's top rated passer and the leader in overall QBR. It isn't a coincidence that he finally has the same offense and is doing well.

Even though I am among the haters. I believe tonight that James gets it going A qb missing its main offensive threat, playing a home night game against a team that is finally going to be in a hostile enviornment I believe is the perfect recipe for his success...this is one time that I hope my doubt in JVB is proven wrong

#pipedream

People have to keep something in mind when criticizing James Vandenberg - he's playing in a completely different system.

While I understand he has played pretty poorly, it isn't an easy transition switching from the offense you've known for the last four years, especially if it's based on much more coverage reading on both the QB and WRs part. I don't believe this year's struggles have much to do with talent.

Take a look at San Francisco QB Alex Smith. He was the No. 1 overall draft pick coming out of college, so he obviously had some talent. He struggled through his first 6-7 years, but had a different offensive coordinator and different system every single year. This year, he's finally had some continuity from the previous season and he's flourishing. Through 5 weeks, he was the NFL's top rated passer and the leader in overall QBR. It isn't a coincidence that he finally has the same offense and is doing well.

Such a cop out. How many Qbs get this bad after changing OC's? ISU changed OC's, and while their QBs are horrible, I'd take either one over VanDERPberrrrg right now.

GhostofBTT
Such a cop out. How many Qbs get this bad after changing OC's? ISU changed OC's, and while their QBs are horrible, I'd take either one over VanDERPberrrrg right now.
And I'm sure you would have said that after Vandenberg finished 3rd in the Big Ten in passing as a junior.

And I'm sure you would have said that after Vandenberg finished 3rd in the Big Ten in passing as a junior.

No, I would not have. That would have been stoopid.

I would have said it after he was last in the BoneG in passing halfway through his senior season.

Originally posted by GhostofBTT
I would have said it after he was last in the BoneG in passing halfway through his senior season.

Easy to say now since he's struggling to adjust to a new offense, which is blatantly obvious. Last year, as a pure passer, I would have taken Vandenberg over Ricky Stanzi in a heartbeat.

Easy to say now since he's struggling to adjust to a new offense, which is blatantly obvious. Last year, as a pure passer, I would have taken Vandenberg over Ricky Stanzi in a heartbeat.

I am an Iowa homer and even I don't agree with your statement. It was one thing if he was throwing the wrong routes because he wasn't familiar with the new system but that isn't the case. He is unwilling to throw the deep ball and keeps throwing to the area that he has never been good at hitting, that is the short passes.

I hope he has a breakout game and proves me wrong. I know he has the tools to be a great qb (see last year), but it seems like his lack of confidence is keeping him from being the QB he once was.

I am an Iowa homer and even I don't agree with your statement. It was one thing if he was throwing the wrong routes because he wasn't familiar with the new system but that isn't the case. He is unwilling to throw the deep ball and keeps throwing to the area that he has never been good at hitting, that is the short passes.

I hope he has a breakout game and proves me wrong. I know he has the tools to be a great qb (see last year), but it seems like his lack of confidence is keeping him from being the QB he once was.

+1. It's not the f'ing GD system, either. JVB is repeatedly not seeing wide open WR's and TE's every game. As said above, he refuses to throw the deep ball and checks down everything he can. He also doesn't make the correct throws to utilize his pass catcher's skills - namely CJF. "The system" isn't an excuse for continually, chronically not throwing to your most open WR or TE. It's also not an excuse for his mechanics going to crap at times this season.

I don't understand the JVB apologists. He isn't playing well and hasn't played well this season. We saw him play very well at times last season, and other times when he wasn't good. We know what he can do. It's frustrating for everyone, I'm sure JVB the most. But excuses for him not playing well aren't cutting it. Call it what it is - our 5th yr., homegrown starting QB hasn't been good. Some people want to blame everyone but him, and it's getting old. Everyone's waiting and hoping for a breakout game, and some of us are starting to question if that's ever going to come. Hopefully tonight's the night.

+1. It's not the f'ing GD system, either. JVB is repeatedly not seeing wide open WR's and TE's every game. As said above, he refuses to throw the deep ball and checks down everything he can. He also doesn't make the correct throws to utilize his pass catcher's skills - namely CJF. "The system" isn't an excuse for continually, chronically not throwing to your most open WR or TE. It's also not an excuse for his mechanics going to crap at times this season.

I don't understand the JVB apologists. He isn't playing well and hasn't played well this season. We saw him play very well at times last season, and other times when he wasn't good. We know what he can do. It's frustrating for everyone, I'm sure JVB the most. But excuses for him not playing well aren't cutting it. Call it what it is - our 5th yr., homegrown starting QB hasn't been good. Some people want to blame everyone but him, and it's getting old. Everyone's waiting and hoping for a breakout game, and some of us are starting to question if that's ever going to come. Hopefully tonight's the night.

Exactly.

34413d1279211415-fs-2009-zx-6r-m4-gp-exhaust-full-system-bump.jpg

Latest posts