Luka Garza
Conner McCaffery
Mark Smith

Class of 18
Joe Wieskamp
Joey Hauser

Class of 19
Patrick McCaffery

Are we looking at Mark Smith? I hadn't heard the name. Looks like he's a SG from Illinois.
I've heard good things about Hauser but I haven't heard much about him coming to Iowa. Do we have a chance?

2017/2018 and the future

Juniors
Ahmad Wagner
Nicholas Baer

Sophomores
Tyler Cook
Ryan Kriener
Cordell Pemsl
Jordan Bohannon
Maishe Dailey
Isaiah Moss

Freshman
Jack Nunge
Luka Garza
Conner McCaffery
Mark Smith

Class of 18
Joe Wieskamp
Joey Hauser

Class of 19
Patrick McCaffery

This is just what I would like to seen happen to the roster. I don't think Iowa is looking at smith but would love to get him. Also not sure our chances on Hauser.

---------I love this. How can you read this roster and not have a lot of hope in the future?

That is easy....look who the Head Coach is. I have ZERO confidence Fran to do much more than take us to the dance and maybe squeak out one win....that is it. Wisconsin and ISU seemingly ho hum their way to the Sweet 16 no matter who the coach is....and often, with ho hum teams. Three (3) years from now when Fran is fired, I will remind y'all about the 4-5 wasted years we spent waiting for this mid-major HC of ours to pan out....it is NOT going to happen, The guy does not have "it".....ESPECIALLY on large stages.

---------I love this. How can you read this roster and not have a lot of hope in the future?

That is easy....look who the Head Coach is. I have ZERO confidence Fran to do much more than take us to the dance and maybe squeak out one win....that is it. Wisconsin and ISU seemingly ho hum their way to the Sweet 16 no matter who the coach is....and often, with ho hum teams. Three (3) years from now when Fran is fired, I will remind y'all about the 4-5 wasted years we spent waiting for this mid-major HC of ours to pan out....it is NOT going to happen, The guy does not have "it".....ESPECIALLY on large stages.

Go cry to yourself. No one cares.

Cry to myself? I don't cry over Iowa losses, ridiculous coaching contracts, long coaching leashes, crapping pants on large stages, etc....they are expected at small time programs like Iowa's. Have the school prove to me that they are really serious about taking their programs to an elite level, and I'll quit being so negative. This "extra practice" we are getting right now will not mean shit come the Big 10 Tourney next year....because our mid-major coach will still be on the bench losing the 1st game out of the shoot. Sorry, just a fact.

Ummmmm WTF? Iowa State has made two sweet sixteen in the last 15 years.

Ho hum? Often? Nope

Cry to myself? I don't cry over Iowa losses, ridiculous coaching contracts, long coaching leashes, crapping pants on large stages, etc....they are expected at small time programs like Iowa's. Have the school prove to me that they are really serious about taking their programs to an elite level, and I'll quit being so negative. This "extra practice" we are getting right now will not mean shit come the Big 10 Tourney next year....because our mid-major coach will still be on the bench losing the 1st game out of the shoot. Sorry, just a fact.

So which team do you root for just out of curiosity?

I think all of us like the potential of this team with leadership developing among the freshman class with guys like Bohannon and Cook as well as Baer a class ahead of them. We have every reason to expect to enjoy some entertaining basketball. I think reality lies in the fact that we sit in a conference with quite a bit of young talent with programs like Illinois and Indiana looking to claw their way toward the upper tier of the conference as well with coaching changes. Can Fran get us to the promised land where we start to win games in the NCAA tournament regularly in this landscape? I for one have my doubts as well and don't consider that negativity.

When you start thinking about the roster I don't think it seems a safe assumption at all that we will necessarily have Connor McCaffery full time contributing to his dad's basketball team. Neither Connor nor Fran say much at this point because I think his future remains highly uncertain and I agree with the comment that Connor's heart seems in baseball. To whatever extent we don't have Connor full time that leaves a hole in the back court that we can only fill should we have somebody transfer. Then I watch a team like Wisconsin play this afternoon knocking off the national champions and not hard to see why they become a tough team to play this time of year with their defense and solid fundamentals. I don't see the defense with Fran's teams to get us to that kind of level.

Last edited:
I sure hope you guys are wrong about Fran and that he is finally bringing in the type of players he needs to compete for B1G titles. We should know within three years.

Having said that there were people still wanting to give Lickliter more time...............Yikes!!!!!!!

I sure hope you guys are wrong about Fran and that he is finally bringing in the type of players he needs to compete for B1G titles. We should know within three years.

Having said that there were people still wanting to give Lickliter more time...............Yikes!!!!!!!

You must mean "win" titles. He's already brought in players that have "competed' for them.

Latest posts