Just another 8-4 team?

Amazing how people think this is a 10-2 team with this schedule and these coaches.
We have the punter that would’ve delivered us 10 (Or more) wins last year. Same coaches. Tougher schedule. Lost some high draft picks early. The question is whether our skill players makeup the difference.

Amazing how people think this is a 10-2 team with this schedule and these coaches.

I don't think 10-2 is a huge compliment to this team, I think it is a function of just how awful the rest of the B1G is. Of course, we have some bad games on the road, but this team feels like it might have the hallmarks of some of the really good Ferentz teams in that we have already gotten lucky as hell once this year. We get two more lucky breaks like that and have some incremental improvement in line with what we have seen from Ferentz teams in the past and 10-2 is easily achievable. Of course, if we shat the bed and finished 7-5, I totally wouldn't be surprised, either.

I don't think 10-2 is a huge compliment to this team, I think it is a function of just how awful the rest of the B1G is. Of course, we have some bad games on the road, but this team feels like it might have the hallmarks of some of the really good Ferentz teams in that we have already gotten lucky as hell once this year. We get two more lucky breaks like that and have some incremental improvement in line with what we have seen from Ferentz teams in the past and 10-2 is easily achievable. Of course, if we shat the bed and finished 7-5, I totally wouldn't be surprised, either.
Hawks have opened 4-0 four times (Under KF). Three of those four seasons have been double digit win seasons. Assuming a win in two weeks, Ten is very attainable, regardless of what the eternal pessimists here say. It probably won’t be pretty, but anywhere from 6-11 wins is totally possible. 8-9 being the most likely.

Last edited:

10-2 would be really good. It's not unthinkable, but I gotta see them vs Wisc, Mich on the road and PSU at home before I am thinking anything more than 9-3.

Let's get healthy, take care of business in a couple weeks, and avoid a stubbed toe in a 50/50 game....and go from there.

Hawks have opened 4-0 four times (Under KF). Three of those four seasons have been double digit win seasons. Assuming a win in two weeks, Ten is very attainable, regardless of what the eternal pessimists here say. It probably won’t be pretty, but anywhere from 6-11 wins is totally possible. 8-9 is the most likely.

Yeah, wasn't 2006 the only one that wasn't a double digit win season? Man, that team shat the bed so hard. This team could easily do that. It could easily be like that 2004 team as well where it just gets lucky as hell in a bunch of close games.

10 wins is always going to be a very good, even great year for anyone not a perennial top 5-8 program in the last decade. Well, except for nebby who still considers themselves a top 5 program.

B1G is never as bad, or good...as a whole as the narrative is. SEC is crazy good at the top which makes the conference strong, there's not any other conference that is showing they are top to bottom better than B1G. This whole percieved thing about the "weak" B1G West is a little overdone.

Yeah, wasn't 2006 the only one that wasn't a double digit win season? Man, that team shat the bed so hard. This team could easily do that. It could easily be like that 2004 team as well where it just gets lucky as hell in a bunch of close games.

Unless you've been AL or Clem the last decade, you need some luck a few times to crack 10 wins. Even they have needed a couple bounces go their way at times.

Yep, ugly as hell. Other three were ‘04, ‘09, and ‘15. 2015 fits your description as well. Agreed though, this team could end up being any of those teams. Awfully weird. I think punter is a huge asset though.

Great win. ISU was SO geared up for this. Played poorly Week 1 and looking to make a program statement.

My only complaint is the 4-3. There were clearly possessions it would've been better for us to have an extra DB in the game and it was frustrating to see 3 LBs in there. I hope it's due to our injuries. I'm not against the 4-3, but staying in it during obvious passing downs and possessions is frustrating.

Go Hawks.

Great win. ISU was SO geared up for this. Played poorly Week 1 and looking to make a program statement.

My only complaint is the 4-3. There were clearly possessions it would've been better for us to have an extra DB in the game and it was frustrating to see 3 LBs in there. I hope it's due to our injuries. I'm not against the 4-3, but staying in it during obvious passing downs and possessions is frustrating.

Go Hawks.
It was 100% injuries. It’s tough to put a fifth DB on the field when you already have a redshirt freshman third string playing.

Even at this point in the season where the hawks stand at 3-0 and passed a conf test and the trip to Ames I can see 8-4, which would be 5-4 the rest of the way with what should be a win in 2 weeks. But I think 9-3

should be 4-0 in 2 weeks
Mich is a toss up to me
I think the hawks can beat PSU
Purdue doesnt seem that tough but we have to play good or else we make them look tough.
I think the hawks are better than jNW, who got handled by a not stellar Stanford and Minny who did get a good road win at Fresno but really isnt dominant
Probably lose at Wisky I hate to say

Nebby will probably be a toss up at this time

I am going with 9-3 at this point with losses to Mich, Wisky, and at Nebby.

This is probably realistic, but I could see swapping a win at Nebraska for a loss vs northwestern or purdue, 9-3 with a citrus bowl vs auburn maybe? Or a holiday bowl vs Oregon or Utah? I’d take it.

I don't know I can't tell for sure. sometimes this team looks like it might have the right stuff. Other times I see stuff that i've seen so many times before. Against ISU "somebody needs to make a play" and that was the Senior QB. He made a play several times. I also saw Iowa come out in 21 or 22 against a stacked up front 7 and the results were futile. I see the ball moving around to WR and I see much 3-wide and I think they're going to break out this year. I see the mounting injuries in the DBs and I'm concerned. I'm concerned that the LBs are the weaknesses of this team as well.

WHat do you see? Same stuff that we see every year or something to suggest they're going to break out

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. [mockingly] Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive. Your DBs are screwed, your quarterback over throws his receivers, your coaches still have poor time management and run into 9 man fronts........

We are doomed. ;)

Nah, heal up. With the ISU victory, 9 or more wins in certainly possible. Still tough, but possible. The great thing about this year is if the Hawks make a serious run at this schedule, no one will be ragging on them for it.

Not to be obtuse, but what schedule?

We’ve already beat ISU. Michigan had to go OT to beat a below avg Army team. NW looks very beatable. PSU was a Pat Narduzzi brain fart away from losing. Minny can barely beat an FCS team. Purdue looks like a hot mess. And Nebraska still can’t field a good O line or D line.

In other words, this schedule doesnt look near as bad as it did a month ago.

Until Iowa beats NwU and PU, they’re 50/50 games. Until the defensive back 7 gets healthy and gets better, roadies at Wisc, Mich and Neb tip toward L’s.

There are exactly 2 guaranteed W’s... MT State and Illannoy. There are way too many issues - from clock coaching to timely play calls to Nate hitting deep balls - to think any bigger than 7 wins at this time.

The east below Michigan looks pretty bad. I'm not gonna write Michigan off based on the Army game. Patterson was dinged and every coach definitely sends their teams in with a different set of rules against the service academies. Oklahoma took a scare from Army last year and still made the playoff. The gap between the Big Ten and SEC/Clemson is insane.

Not the SEC. Alabama, Georgia and LSU...maybe Auburn too. There are some equally terrible SEC teams....Mississippi state just lost at home to Kansas State. Tennessee is a dumpster fire.

Until Iowa beats NwU and PU, they’re 50/50 games. Until the defensive back 7 gets healthy and gets better, roadies at Wisc, Mich and Neb tip toward L’s.

There are exactly 2 guaranteed W’s... MT State and Illannoy. There are way too many issues - from clock coaching to timely play calls to Nate hitting deep balls - to think any bigger than 7 wins at this time.

I agree with the issues. Ssshhh, don't tell Deano because he really gets pissed, but KF has ALWAYS sucked at clock management. He did yesterday and he truly blew before halftime against Rutgers. Shouldn't KOK be helping him? Jr? Maybe it is hereditary.

I said 8-5 before the season started but I can see this team getting to 9 wins. 10?? With a bowl victory perhaps. The kicking game seems extremely solid. That is huge. But we will only be as good as Stanley is. And Pop's sphincter and Jr's playcalling. Again don't tell Deano but that out pattern to the short side of the field was all Jr.

I have few worries re the defense because the most valuable and underrated D coordinator in the country continues to be Kirk's angel from heaven.

Latest posts