Just a question about Chuck Longs NFL career.

Not sure if this illustrates his lack of arm strength, but I remember watching him on TV launching a pass of about 40 yards (where the receiver looked absolutely open) against the Chicago Bears. The Bear's DB seemed to outrun the pass, and intercepted it.

I wish I had nintendo and tecmo bowl.

There is a Retro Entertainment System, made by retro-bit, they sell on Amazon for ~$20. I bought one and it works with all the old NES games. Otherwise do a google search for NES Roms and you can play them old games online for free.

Oh man, Chuck Long has to have every passing record for me if it actually kept stats. I used to play Vlasic for San Diego. Both had great weapons in that game, but Vlasic had a RIDICULOUSLY terrible end around or qb waggle or something...seriously limited his passing options. Always had to change the playbook for that dude.
#ihadnofriendsinmiddleschool

But it did keep stats, that was one of the things that made that game neat.

Tecmo Super Bowl was the greatest NES game of all time.

I agree, and if you were a baseball fan the Baseball Stars game was a close 2nd in my book.

He also threw 20 interceptions against like 12 touchdowns that year.

Right, playing on a team with almost no running game, crappy offensive line, and throwing to wide receiving legends like Pete Mandley and Jeff Chadwick. Long would have had a completely different outcome had the Rams drafted him instead of Jim Everett.

I've always wondered why Chuck Long didn't have more success in the NFL. He was a classic NFL pocket quarterback at a time that was what every team had. I've never heard anything about this and I'm not one who has the knowledge to break down a players strengths and weaknesses. If anybody has any information I would appreciate your input. Of course I was able to figure out that Detroit was not a good team. And from what I can remember it seemed like the Lions offensive lines were nothing to talk about. Thanks for your input.

When Chuck was drafted by the Lions, they operated a traditional pocket-passer offense. I believe the following year, a new staff was hired that used the 'run and shoot' style offense. So, as is life, you have to have some luck, and that was bad luck for him. This is the answer.

It may have been the greatest NES sports game, but was far from the greatest NES game of all time.
I used to have nes and several games. I got my son Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles but I was never able to get past the last level. That game was just tough for me. Didn't they have a pretty good baseball game where the pitchers could throw awsome curve balls and knuckleballs?

Weird story in light of this thread: my 10 yr old son has hundreds (prolly couple thousand) of baseball and football cards. He had one and only one laying on his dresser today-CHUCK LONG! He didn't really know who he was except a former Hawk. It was for his 4th yr in league.

Right, playing on a team with almost no running game, crappy offensive line, and throwing to wide receiving legends like Pete Mandley and Jeff Chadwick. Long would have had a completely different outcome had the Rams drafted him instead of Jim Everett.

1987 was his only even remotely decent year. I'm not saying he couldn't have had a better career in a better situation, but he wasn't ever likely to be a top tier NFL starter.

I heard Fry say the reason Chuck did not succeed is the wrong team drafted him. Detroit liked to throw deep and that was not Chucks strength. Hayden said Chuck threw the deep outs and curls better than anyone he had ever seen. Hayden said in the pros it is about matching abilities with team styles for a lot of QB's.

Meh, Hipple, Danielson, Kramer all were able to put together a successful season or 2.........Long should have been able to put up decent numbers......arm strength was an issue. In 2013, maybe he is Andy Dalton, unfortunately he was born at the wrong time.

Latest posts