Judgments without Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkcrush

I have heard a lot recently from reporters (who may have had an axe to grind) about how much of an a## Doyle and other members of the coaching staff are/were. Obviously with Doyle being fired that may have been accurate. However I am curious about some of the details and the good some of these same people have done. I have been told on a few occasions that Doyle had some players stay with him when they were training for the Draft. Also heard that one of them may have been one of the main reasons he was fired in the end. Again, all hear say and speculation but if true it would be nice to have a larger conversation about some of the details surrounding this. A culture of bullying and a culture of kindness may not be mutually exclusive that much I understand.

I have heard a lot recently from reporters (who may have had an axe to grind) about how much of an a## Doyle and other members of the coaching staff are/were. Obviously with Doyle being fired that may have been accurate. However I am curious about some of the details and the good some of these same people have done. I have been told on a few occasions that Doyle had some players stay with him when they were training for the Draft. Also heard that one of them may have been one of the main reasons he was fired in the end. Again, all hear say and speculation but if true it would be nice to have a larger conversation about some of the details surrounding this. A culture of bullying and a culture of kindness may not be mutually exclusive that much I understand.
I can't comment on any of the things you ask about. I can only state the following:
  • Strength and conditioning is virtually a year-round process now, especially for football. The strength coaches can see and meet with athletes at times the coaches can't. So THE #1 person a football player will be spending time with from a coaching standpoint is the strength coach;
  • Because of the above, athletes develop with these coaches - as much or more than anyone on the staff - a true "love-hate" relationship. Even for those who never felt Doyle crossed a line, I'm sure there were days when every single football player would "hate his guts" because of what he was putting them through. But in this program as well as many, many other college FB programs, successful players, especially once their college career was over, would single out the strength coach(es) for getting them where they had to be to compete and succeed. Doyle was certainly no exception;
  • Since that is the case, a lot of these men stay in touch with the strength coaches after graduation. I have heard of a number of former college FB players who had their strength coach as their best man when they got married. That is no small honor to be bestowed upon a coach. And I know that Doyle was asked to do that himself on more than a few occasions;
  • But because this is about winning football, and NO football team stands a chance these days without a strength and conditioning program that is beyond top notch, head coaches expect/DEMAND as much out of these coaches as any on their staff. And with more than our share of 2 and 3* athletes coming to Iowa, he had his work cut out for him as much as anyone in the country in terms of giving the head coach some players that were going to excel in what is one of THE toughest conferences in the country. Doyle not only kept up with that, but kept Iowa near the cutting edge of technological advances in terms of how technology can aid us as well;
  • Coaches do understand that different approaches may have to be used to get the most out of the men they are in charge of. But if you believe a particular system or way of doing things is working, you may miss that there are parts of what you do that go beyond what is considered acceptable, especially for those from other cultures or what have you. Most likely, Doyle believed he had to do things the way he did to accomplish what he did. Now that does not excuse or explain away actions - it just makes it clear that this is who he was - and for better or worse it may have included some traits or practices that are just not what a coach - any coach - should be doing now - if they ever were.
I'm sorry if this doesn't clarify what really may have happened. But Doyle definitely did far more to help us, even if he perhaps crossed some lines that were better left uncrossed. But he's gone now, and we have to find a way to continue to churn out the best we can from a strength and conditioning standpoint if we are going to do anything but sink to the bottom of the B1G.

I'm sure Doyle is a great coach.... but when your style is to be a raging ass and then some shit goes south - it's the risk you run.

Truth is I've heard Brian is the much bigger asshole of anyone on the coaching staff.

Here is the podcast of the Washed Up Walkons just in case some of you haven’t had the chance to hear it. The Washed Up Walkons are Jake Gervase, Tyler Kluver and Drake Kulick. Subscribe to their channel.

Here is the podcast of the Washed Up Walkons just in case some of you haven’t had the chance to hear it. The Washed Up Walkons are Jake Gervase, Tyler Kluver and Drake Kulick. Subscribe to their channel.

Kevin Ward not Jake Gervase. Yikes.

Last edited:
I can't comment on any of the things you ask about. I can only state the following:
  • Strength and conditioning is virtually a year-round process now, especially for football. The strength coaches can see and meet with athletes at times the coaches can't. So THE #1 person a football player will be spending time with from a coaching standpoint is the strength coach;
  • Because of the above, athletes develop with these coaches - as much or more than anyone on the staff - a true "love-hate" relationship. Even for those who never felt Doyle crossed a line, I'm sure there were days when every single football player would "hate his guts" because of what he was putting them through. But in this program as well as many, many other college FB programs, successful players, especially once their college career was over, would single out the strength coach(es) for getting them where they had to be to compete and succeed. Doyle was certainly no exception;
  • Since that is the case, a lot of these men stay in touch with the strength coaches after graduation. I have heard of a number of former college FB players who had their strength coach as their best man when they got married. That is no small honor to be bestowed upon a coach. And I know that Doyle was asked to do that himself on more than a few occasions;
  • But because this is about winning football, and NO football team stands a chance these days without a strength and conditioning program that is beyond top notch, head coaches expect/DEMAND as much out of these coaches as any on their staff. And with more than our share of 2 and 3* athletes coming to Iowa, he had his work cut out for him as much as anyone in the country in terms of giving the head coach some players that were going to excel in what is one of THE toughest conferences in the country. Doyle not only kept up with that, but kept Iowa near the cutting edge of technological advances in terms of how technology can aid us as well;
  • Coaches do understand that different approaches may have to be used to get the most out of the men they are in charge of. But if you believe a particular system or way of doing things is working, you may miss that there are parts of what you do that go beyond what is considered acceptable, especially for those from other cultures or what have you. Most likely, Doyle believed he had to do things the way he did to accomplish what he did. Now that does not excuse or explain away actions - it just makes it clear that this is who he was - and for better or worse it may have included some traits or practices that are just not what a coach - any coach - should be doing now - if they ever were.
I'm sorry if this doesn't clarify what really may have happened. But Doyle definitely did far more to help us, even if he perhaps crossed some lines that were better left uncrossed. But he's gone now, and we have to find a way to continue to churn out the best we can from a strength and conditioning standpoint if we are going to do anything but sink to the bottom of the B1G.
Why do you change the font in every single post you make?

So fucking weird.

I never joined the military, but love watching military movies. In those the drill sergeants are depicted as major hard asses that ALL the recruits hate. Physically, and mentally, testing the recruits. Friends of no one. But, in the end, the men who persevered were way better for it. Isn’t that kinda what your head strength coach is at a university?

I never joined the military, but love watching military movies. In those the drill sergeants are depicted as major hard asses that ALL the recruits hate. Physically, and mentally, testing the recruits. Friends of no one. But, in the end, the men who persevered were way better for it. Isn’t that kinda what your head strength coach is at a university?
So what you’re saying is the racist comments made by Doyle and the shaming of Kallenberger for his learning disability were intended to help build them up and make them tough? It’s not possible that they’re prickish cunts who’ve had their egos built up too far by media attention and all the money?

I don’t see how telling a black kid to quit and join the rowing team, and then making a slave ship joke is motivational and making someone a better person.

I don’t see how calling a guy Simple Jack who’s struggling like hell in school to read and complete classes, and putting his gpa on the board to make fun of him is motivational and making someone a better person. Or asking him if he’s too “fucking stupid” to read a book.

And comparing a dumb game played by 19 year olds to the military is a garbage take. Military members have to be able to withstand shock, duress, and make quick decisions under a huge amount of stress. If they can’t do that, people can—and do—die. Those people have to be weeded out. Keep in mind this isn’t being weeded out by race jokes either.

I don’t care what any old school mouth breather says, football isn’t war. Nobody’s gonna die, there’s no IEDs going off, no sniper fire, and BF, Doyle, and Wallace aren’t some noble commanders in England getting troops ready to storm the beaches of Normandy.

The drill sergeant comparison shit everyone keeps putting out there is fuckin ridiculous.

Last edited:

The military is a little different then college sports in the sense that is can be a life or death situation where you are not only responsible for your life but the lives of everyone else. Part of that is the weeding out process to see if you can mentally take the stress of warfare.

Doyle job is to test the players mentally and physically but from the way it sounds he crossed many lines with some individuals and some not. I was not there to see if any of the conversations or interactions so I cannot say if the allegations are in fact true or just blown out of proportion. I think the evidence is showing that there had to be some smoke to the fire and in some cases there were witnesses. Maybe his intentions were not bad but it doesn't matter.

It is my opinion Doyle walked a razor think line with his motivational techniques and from every interview I have seen with him he is a very serious and intense guy which for some can add another level of discomfort in interactions. I think in this day and age the sensitivity is at a peak as compared to 20 years ago when he started at Iowa and also if the allegations of what he said were true crossed that line and the University had no choice.

Triggered at 5:42am, gone be a long day.
So you're not gonna address how you got triggered at 2:57AM this morning?

Making fun of a poster for misidentifying Kevin Ward (calling him "Kevin wars") and how you fucked up by misspelling his name? And then how you tried to stealth edit your post? Yikes.

There aren't a lot of things more hilarious than someone giving somebody else shit, and then looking like a bigger idiot themselves in the process. You're derp game is strong; I'll give you that. Pro tip, if you're going to make fun of someone, make sure you have your own ducks in a row first. You're never gonna get laid at this rate, McFly.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Triggered at 11:16am...subject is odd and always on easy to get to comment

Making fun of a poster for misidentifying Kevin Ward (calling him "Kevin wars") and how you fucked up by misspelling his name? And then how you tried to stealth edit your post? Yikes.

There aren't a lot of things more hilarious than someone giving somebody else shit, and then looking like a bigger idiot themselves in the process. You're derp game is strong; I'll give you that. Pro tip, if you're going to make fun of someone, make sure you have your own ducks in a row first. You're never gonna get laid at this rate, McFly.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Your.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg
It is now 3:21pm and the subject is now asking me to address my past post, it’s as if she is flustered.

So what you’re saying is the racist comments made by Doyle and the shaming of Kallenberger for his learning disability were intended to help build them up and make them tough? It’s not possible that they’re prickish cunts who’ve had their egos built up too far by media attention and all the money?

I don’t see how telling a black kid to quit and join the rowing team, and then making a slave ship joke is motivational and making someone a better person.

I don’t see how calling a guy Simple Jack who’s struggling like hell in school to read and complete classes, and putting his gpa on the board to make fun of him is motivational and making someone a better person. Or asking him if he’s too “fucking stupid” to read a book.

And comparing a dumb game played by 19 year olds to the military is a garbage take. Military members have to be able to withstand shock, duress, and make quick decisions under a huge amount of stress. If they can’t do that, people can—and do—die. Those people have to be weeded out. Keep in mind this isn’t being weeded out by race jokes either.

I don’t care what any old school mouth breather says, football isn’t war. Nobody’s gonna die, there’s no IEDs going off, no sniper fire, and BF, Doyle, and Wallace aren’t some noble commanders in England getting troops ready to storm the beaches of Normandy.

The drill sergeant comparison shit everyone keeps putting out there is fuckin ridiculous.
Well I bet you'll wish we had drill sergeant Doyle when Nebby tries another amphibious landing somewhere in western Iowa. They call Frost the "Napoleon of the Big Ten".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts