Josh Ogundele in the transfer portal

Casey388

Just saw an article from another site, that Josh Ogundele is also in the transfer portal. Not surprising, but hopefully he can find a program he fits in.

Jeez Louise, unless Franny fills these holes with players who are better I don't see the point of running guys off.

Nice kid. Team player. But, I think we all saw the low ceiling. His best attribute was just being big. He was worth a flyer, but he needs a big step down in competition. I am glad Fran is giving these kids realistic assessments and allowing them to find more minutes elsewhere while freeing a schollie for a possible contributor in the portal. Some Summitt League team fan base is going to go nuts over a massive center transfer from Iowa.

Jeez Louise, unless Franny fills these holes with players who are better I don't see the point of running guys off.
Perkins and Ulis would've gotten most of JT's minutes next year, and Ogundele was a project that didn't work out. Neither would have big roles next year anyway, what's the big deal? Good for the goose and good for the gander, I wish them both well and hope they succeed wherever they go.

Now if you said Kris and Rebraca were transferring, that's a big deal. JT and JO...not so much.

Perkins and Ulis would've gotten most of JT's minutes next year, and Ogundele was a project that didn't work out. Neither would have big roles next year anyway, what's the big deal? Good for the goose and good for the gander, I wish them both well and hope they succeed wherever they go.

Now if you said Kris and Rebraca were transferring, that's a big deal. JT and JO...not so much.
Josh was absolutely a project. They took a flier on him and in 2 yrs time he couldn't get in shape well enough to play more than 5 mins at a time. That's kind of alarming in and of itself. Was worth a shot but it wasn't working out. 2 yrs is a fair amount of time to reassess and move on. The open scholly is more valuable than the handful of mins a game mostly in garbage time woulda been.

The open scholly is more valuable than the handful of mins a game mostly in garbage time woulda been.
^^^This.

I think I read somewhere he had a lot of issues with cardio and stamina after he got covid and that held his conditioning back.

I have no verifiable source for that so I don't know if it's true; I believe I saw it on twitter.

There were times when Josh looked like he's never held a basketball before in his life and then there were times where he made Edey look silly. Unfortunately making Edey (or other players) look silly didn't happen very often. I'm hoping for the best for Ogundele, he seemed like a really good guy to have around.

^^^This.

I think I read somewhere he had a lot of issues with cardio and stamina after he got covid and that held his conditioning back.

I have no verifiable source for that so I don't know if it's true; I believe I saw it on twitter.
That sucks. I figured there may have been a reason why because a young fella like that shouldn't have had the cardio issues he seemed to have. They'd said he was pretty much out of shape when he first came in but if a dude can't get in decent shape in 2 yrs then yeah musta been more to it.

This will be in his best interest too. Moving on to whatever his next step is is always better to do sooner than later why delay it?

I actually liked what the Big O brought to the table. I'm sorry to him go.....he might not have been the best shooter, but I liked the things he did around the basket. He really helped out in the Purdue game. It is a shame.

Honestly, I think Iowa needs more big bodies like him and that is part of the problem along with overall guard play.

I did like JT's assets, he was a tough player, and will be missed. I didn't think Josh was going to be a real asset until his senior season-he still needed a lot of fine tuning.

But we need a big now, or Mulvey needs to take a real step forward, or conference is going to be brutal

What a poop show. Hopefully enough stick around to field a squad.

huh??? We are talking about a guy who only played 2/3rds of the games and averaged 5 minutes a game, most were garbage minutes.

Gosh if this is a "poop show" then what was last year after Fredrick and Nunge left?

These are both good attritions imo. JT would have helped but in small doses like this season. Josh wasn't contributing on the court at all barely. These are like do overs for Fran and co. Do I think Fran ran them off? No, do I think he was completely honest with them about their playing time moving forward and where they stood at this very moment in the program? Yes.