Jordan Canzeri

No need to burn his redshirt at this point

Have you watched any Iowa football in the last decade? When was the last time Iowa had less than 1 RB injury in a season?

There are definitely a couple of reasons to burn his red shirt at this point:

1. McCall is now going to get a RS - why have those two guys in the same class? Get some separation there.

2. We aren't that deep at RB right now. Bullock has moved to WR, DeAndre Johnson still looks a bit tentative because of his injured knee (and he admits that he still deals with swelling in that knee - which is always a good sign), & I think we can all agree that Jason White, while being a great special teams player, is no more than a serviceable back up. Canzeri could be our #2 RB at this point.

3. Did I mention the AIRBHG? Just to remind everybody:

2002:
1) Aaron Greving, the projected starter is injured in fall and spring and abruptly quits mid way through the season.
2) Justice Hariston fails to qualify, goes to prep school and then to Purdue where he has a decent, injury free, career.

2003:
1) Superstud Jermelle Lewis tears ACL and misses first half of season and is not the same.
2) Promising frosh Albert Young breaks leg. Out for year.
3) AJ Johnson lasts a semester before getting kicked out.

2004:
1) Shonn Greene fails to qualify out of high school
2) Fred Russell leaves early
3) Lewis tears other ACL
4) Albert Young tears ACL misses second full season.
5) Marcus Schnoor tears ACL
6) I think Champ Davis tears an ACL at some point as well.

2005:
1) Ferentz tricks the Angry Iowa-Running-Back-Hating-God by briefly moving Damian Sims to corner. Sims is the only scholarship RB to go four years without a major injury.

2006:
1) Kalvin Bailey - flunked out after one year
2) Corey Robertson - flunked out after one year

2007:
1) Shonn Greene ineligible
2) Dana Brown - beats up girlfriend and gets the boot during the great purge of '07

2008:
1) Jevon Pugh - left school after one year
2) Jeff Brinson - injured and redshirts
3) Nate Guillory - leaves in fall camp
4) Paki #2 on depth chart throughout season

2009:
1) Shonn Greene leaves early
2) Jewel Hampton tears ACL in fall camp
3) Brinson still injured has one carry
4) Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher do a nice job but usually one or both is at least hobbled
5) Paki again a staple on depth chart

2010:
1) Brinson leaves before spring ball
2) Wegher - slips one past the goalies
3) Coker - breaks collarbone before pads are even on
4) Hampton - torn ACL by game three, transfers prior to bowl
5) Robinson - concussions, then academics, not in good standing
6) Paki apparently also injured.

Now you can add McCall to that list.

As far as I'm concerned, Iowa shouldn't ever willingly redshirt a RB until we've had a guy start for at least two straight years at that position.

Our attrition history there, for whatever reason, is probably the worst in the country, and after seeing McCall go down Saturday, it only affirms my opinion that was need to have as many guys ready at that position as we possibly can.

Burn Canzeri's redshirt. He may be our #2 RB and AIRBHG shows that we can use all the depth we can get at RB.

Also in the post-game show on 800 AM I heard Coach Ferentz say that Canzeri is going to get a look at now. Not that he will get to play for sure, but that it is something they are going to be looking at.

Last edited:
No need to burn his redshirt at this point

Original thought was Canzeri should start off on kick off return. But with Bernstine doing Kick Off Return, is there a need for Canzeri at this time? Why burn the redshirt until we really need it? And is Bullock our back up for kick off return?

Have you watched any Iowa football in the last decade? When was the last time Iowa had less than 1 RB injury in a season?

There are definitely a couple of reasons to burn his red shirt at this point:

1. McCall is now going to get a RS - why have those two guys in the same class? Get some separation there.

2. We aren't that deep at RB right now. Bullock has moved to WR, DeAndre Johnson still looks a bit tentative because of his injured knee (and he admits that he still deals with swelling in that knee - which is always a good sign), & I think we can all agree that Jason White, while being a great special teams player, is no more than a serviceable back up. Canzeri could be our #2 RB at this point.

3. Did I mention the AIRBHG? Just to remind everybody:

2002:
1) Aaron Greving, the projected starter is injured in fall and spring and abruptly quits mid way through the season.
2) Justice Hariston fails to qualify, goes to prep school and then to Purdue where he has a decent, injury free, career.

2003:
1) Superstud Jermelle Lewis tears ACL and misses first half of season and is not the same.
2) Promising frosh Albert Young breaks leg. Out for year.
3) AJ Johnson lasts a semester before getting kicked out.

2004:
1) Shonn Greene fails to qualify out of high school
2) Fred Russell leaves early
3) Lewis tears other ACL
4) Albert Young tears ACL misses second full season.
5) Marcus Schnoor tears ACL
6) I think Champ Davis tears an ACL at some point as well.

2005:
1) Ferentz tricks the Angry Iowa-Running-Back-Hating-God by briefly moving Damian Sims to corner. Sims is the only scholarship RB to go four years without a major injury.

2006:
1) Kalvin Bailey - flunked out after one year
2) Corey Robertson - flunked out after one year

2007:
1) Shonn Greene ineligible
2) Dana Brown - beats up girlfriend and gets the boot during the great purge of '07

2008:
1) Jevon Pugh - left school after one year
2) Jeff Brinson - injured and redshirts
3) Nate Guillory - leaves in fall camp
4) Paki #2 on depth chart throughout season

2009:
1) Shonn Greene leaves early
2) Jewel Hampton tears ACL in fall camp
3) Brinson still injured has one carry
4) Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher do a nice job but usually one or both is at least hobbled
5) Paki again a staple on depth chart

2010:
1) Brinson leaves before spring ball
2) Wegher - slips one past the goalies
3) Coker - breaks collarbone before pads are even on
4) Hampton - torn ACL by game three, transfers prior to bowl
5) Robinson - concussions, then academics, not in good standing
6) Paki apparently also injured.

Now you can add McCall to that list.

As far as I'm concerned, Iowa shouldn't ever willingly redshirt a RB until we've had a guy start for at least two straight years at that position.

Our attrition history there, for whatever reason, is probably the worst in the country, and after seeing McCall go down Saturday, it only affirms my opinion that was need to have as many guys ready at that position as we possibly can.

Burn Canzeri's redshirt. He may be our #2 RB and AIRBHG shows that we can use all the depth we can get at RB.

This is no reason to burn Canzeri's redshirt RIGHT NOW. I think at this point perhaps he will serve as the fire hose: Break glass in case of emergency. Kind of like we did with Rogers in 2009 (remember when he made the trip to Michigan State, ready to have his shirt burned at any time?).

But right now, there's no reason to burn Canzeri's redshirt when we don't really need him just yet.

Last edited:
The idea of "burning a redshirt" sometimes perplexes me. The kid is here to play. We could use him on the field now. What exactly are we saving him for? He'll have the same guys ahead of him on the depth chart next year (and the year after) that he has now. With McCall out, he has an opportunity to contribute now. (we played Freshman WRs and a TE on Saturday...why didn't we "save" them?)

Play him. We need a speed back to compliment Coker.

Last edited:
The idea of "burning a redshirt" sometimes perplexes me. The kid is here to play. We could use him on the field now. What exactly are we saving him for? He'll have the same guys ahead of him on the depth chart next year (and the year after) that he has now.

It gives guys a year to learn and get more physically ready to play, without wasting a year of eligibility. Which is why I don't think we should burn Canzeri's until it's absolutely necessary.

I think people were wanting to redshirt him to have him one more year and to give him time to get some size. But if Johnson is still being as tentative (I know the field conditions had something to do with this) at hitting the hole in the next game, I say throw Canzeri in there and see what he can do.

Gee, lets make the decision for the coaches, they obviously don't have a clue who and when they should redshirt a player. Canzeri, at 170Lbs, may or may not be the answer but they guys that are driving the car should know better who to play. It was stated that Johnson seem to run tenative, Ya Think? It was freakin pouring down buckets! Think Coker was tenative? Love the start of the season when all the couch coaches start to run their opinions. Lets no panic yet, we have a lot of football left and we will be fine.

The idea of "burning a redshirt" sometimes perplexes me. The kid is here to play. We could use him on the field now. What exactly are we saving him for? He'll have the same guys ahead of him on the depth chart next year (and the year after) that he has now. With McCall out, he has an opportunity to contribute now. (we played Freshman WRs and a TE on Saturday...why didn't we "save" them?)

Ferentz has come around to playing freshmen in the last few years. If he feels that they are physically ready to play, he usually gets them on the field to get them acclimated to the speed of the game.

That's why we've seen CJF, Coker, Hamilton, McCall, etc. all get playing time in the last two years: they're physically ready.

Obviously, right now, the coaches don't feel that Canzeri is physically ready.

Here's the thing. That list is a downer, no way around that. But you cant say what kids are going to have off field problems (that goes for all positions) and while you can give as much support as possible, some kids will find college to hard.
Sometimes things like Cokers injury work out for the best, after all he had more time to be a student of the game. Then when he had his shot, he performed very well, at a time when we really needed him. That says alot right there, when it was his time to step up he did so in a grand fashion.
So before we go burning any shirts here, lets see what happens. White and Johnson, could step up the same way. Infact read this about one young mans drive and commitment.
Harty: White happy to be part of the Hawkeyes | Hawk Central

I can't believe we're even having this debate. The question isn't if we'll need Canzeri this season, but rather when we'll need him.

I am assuming Canzeri will play, and at some point, we'll even need to dip below him on the depth chart.

I've realized that accepting our fate is easier than always hoping for the best.

Somehow, someway, as a trainer works on White's ankle in Lincoln in late November, I expect to see Paki sprint onto the field for a critical series in the 4th quarter with the division title on the line.

I'd say we go about this they way we did with Rodgers. We'll use him if we have to but we'll try to keep the redshirt on as long as we can. Hopefully Coker can stay healthy but he'll more than like get hurt sometime this year and we'll be down to our 3rd and 4th string RB's. Iowa City, where running backs come to get injured.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Technically, McCall cannot be redshirted this season. He played, therefore he cannot be redshirted.

However, McCall may be eligible for a "medical hardship waiver" which almost everyone erroneously refers to as a medical redshirt. In order for an athlete to receive a "medical hardship waiver" three requirements must be meet.

First, the injury must have occurred in the first-half of the season. Second, the athlete cannot have competed in more than thirty percent of the regularly scheduled games. Obviously, McCall's injury meets the first two criteria.

Nevertheless, the third requirement is the kicker. The injury must keep the athlete from competing in the remainder of the regular season. If Iowa's medical staff clears McCall to play against Nebraska on Nov. 26 or the review of the medical records, MRIs, x-rays, etc. submitted with the request indicate that McCall could have played before the end of the season; he is not eligible for a "medical hardship waiver."

Notice Cully Payne has not applied for a "medical hardship waiver." This is a gut feeling, there is no evidence to support it, but I get the impression Payne could have played at the end of last season.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade. But, it is not a foregone conclusion that McCall will get an extra year of eligibility.

That breakdown is depressing. Unreal. I think if Canzeri is ready he should get reps early and often. Agree with earlier post to get some separation. Win now.

Latest posts