Jon's new article

HaydenHawk56

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/lost-season-iowa-hoops-doesnt-mean-end-near

First, I agree in the sense that he should not get fired (right now) based on the sum of the whole of what he has accomplished. I'm on record saying he should get 2 more years. However, I also think the program is on the downturn and he is very likely not going to get it done. I hope I'm wrong. I think it is going to take more than Fran's boys and Joe W to save an incomplete and poorly coached defensive team.

I do think Mr. Davis built up more street creed by year 8 compared to Fran though. Mr. Davis had 6 NCAA tourney appearances with 1 Elite Eight and 1 Sweet Sixteen in that time. Fran, by comparison, 3 NITS, 1 First Four (fringe NCAA invite), and 2 NCAA tourney appearances. But, I agree with Jon that Fran dug the program out of the grave so that is his saving grace right now.

I think he has 2 years to get a basketball fundamentally competent, NCAA tourney roster, complete with a true point guard and center that does not tank considerable portions of the regular season. I'm not holding my breath.

The end might not be here, but I think we are seeing the beginning stages of the final act. Even in Mr. Davis's 4-14 year, I still had hope for better days. That was a tough Big Ten and Iowa beat North Carolina that year. This is something completely else I'm watching.

In Mr. Davis's 4-14 year, Matt Bullard got hurt, and both Ray Thompson and Brian Garner were ruled academically ineligible. The rest of the team was either freshmen or sophomores, so it's no wonder they had a rough go of it. Things are what they are regarding the academic stuff, but the Hawks were back in the tournament the next 3 years.

His 11-16 team would have had Chris Street on it. James Winters was averaging 20 ppg and missed several big 10 games with an ankle injury. Some tough breaks there. Again, they bounced back the next few years.

Will Fran's program bounce back to being an NCAA team again? If not next year, that'd be 3 straight misses. Mr. Davis never missed 3 in a row.

Last edited:
There were two years in three where the team had a major collapse. Funny that wasn’t mentioned in the article.

I do think Jon is right though in that he will get at least one more year because of how bad the program was before he was hired.

I sure do agree with the "year 8" arguement being stupid. What year a coach is in matters if he is still unsuccessful in building the program. It doesn't matter if he's already built it and is now having a down year.

I wrote this in another thread, but it was in response to Jon's article:

I share the "Can Fran" sentiments. Not because this year is not going as expected, or that recruiting is bad. It is that this team appears coach-less. Fundamentally, this is the worst Iowa team that I have ever seen, including the Lick years. I think the talent is there, minus the PG. I could handle the losses, if I thought this team was improving, or they were playing sound bball, but they are not, and that is a sign of bad coaching.

There were two years in three where the team had a major collapse. Funny that wasn’t mentioned in the article.

I do think Jon is right though in that he will get at least one more year because of how bad the program was before he was hired.

Can't you just hear it now?
"You guys remember how bad the program was in 2019 when Coach ________ took over for Fran?"

I wrote this in another thread, but it was in response to Jon's article:

I share the "Can Fran" sentiments. Not because this year is not going as expected, or that recruiting is bad. It is that this team appears coach-less. Fundamentally, this is the worst Iowa team that I have ever seen, including the Lick years. I think the talent is there, minus the PG. I could handle the losses, if I thought this team was improving, or they were playing sound bball, but they are not, and that is a sign of bad coaching.
I agree with pretty much everything here.....and I predict 100% eventually. I think Fran is on extended life support right now. Really all joking aside, it pains me to say that. I thought he would be the one. He still could be, but faith is dwindling fast there.

But what has he built?

He built is back to what average Iowa basketball is. At least until this year he looked to have built us to what we were under Davis once he had has own recruits. Did you expect him to do a steady, straight up climb from terrible to great? I know I expected a down year or two along the way. That's why the "year 8" thing annoys me. All that said, this down year is way too down for me. If it says like this, or anywhere close to this, I think it should be a fireable offense.

I interpreted the article as a suggestion to lower our expectations so we aren't as disappointed.

I also hate the arguement that pre season expectation make bad years less bad. Thinking you're going to be bad before the year starts, and then being bad, is no better than being surprised you are bad.

I’m frustrated. I love Iowa Basketball. I want nothing more than to watch great basketball every year. Fran has brought some excitement back to the program. I’ve definitely been entertained the last 5 years. This year is brutal yes, it’s easy to call out Fran right now. Jon’s article is realistic, even if you disagree. We are never going to be Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. The problem with it all is Iowa fans are rabid and have huge hearts. We are passionate. We want nothing more than to compete with the big boys every year. It often leads to major disappointment or major frustration, because in all reality, we will never compete with the big boys. Jon is realistic. Fran needs a longer leash. If it continues the next year or two..move on.

Iowa Basketball will never reach any of our expectations. It’s a hard thing to fathom. I struggle with it too. But at the end of the day, Duke is Duke and Iowa is Iowa..and it forever will be. Doesn’t matter who coaches.

I’m frustrated. I love Iowa Basketball. I want nothing more than to watch great basketball every year. Fran has brought some excitement back to the program. I’ve definitely been entertained the last 5 years. This year is brutal yes, it’s easy to call out Fran right now. Jon’s article is realistic, even if you disagree. We are never going to be Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. The problem with it all is Iowa fans are rabid and have huge hearts. We are passionate. We want nothing more than to compete with the big boys every year. It often leads to major disappointment or major frustration, because in all reality, we will never compete with the big boys. Jon is realistic. Fran needs a longer leash. If it continues the next year or two..move on.

Iowa Basketball will never reach any of our expectations. It’s a hard thing to fathom. I struggle with it too. But at the end of the day. Duke is Duke and Iowa is Iowa..and it forever will be. Doesn’t matter who coaches.
#DefeatistAttitude