Jonny Mullings - (Punter/Kicker)

DreamSeason

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hqMjaNgrRQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Jonny Mullings, K/P, Class 2010, HD[/ame]

I thought I would put my 2 cents in about this kid. At 21 years old and going to be a freshman next season... he is a monster. He (on average) can kick off 75 yards per kickoff. He also has the ability to punt the ball where-ever he pleases. I think this kid is going to be a HUGE asset to Iowa if he can continue to punt as well as he does in the video.

I also believe Jon Miller gave him some "props" on SoundOff Saturday. Thought I would see what you guys thought of him.

He does appear to be pretty good at directional punting but don't you kind of wonder how many attempts it took? They probably edit out the bad punts. Not saying he doesn't look good but you have to wonder what you aren't seeing.

Looks capable. The 1 negitive I think I see seems to be a little slow to punt it and kick the PAT. It looks like he almost got block multipule times. If he takes it consistantly to 2 steps I'd feel more comfortable. I say consistantly because you see both 2 and 3 steps.

I did notice that he almost got blocked but his blockers ran downfield for some reason. As for his punts... he had one continuous shot during them which impressed me. I do although agree he kicks a bit slow, but that is subject to coaching.

He has 4 years to work on his timing... Pretty good for a freshman though.

Here was Jon's writeup on it.

Tell you what, I was on hold on Sat waiting to talk to Jon and Jim on the radio and I took the time to watch it. It is amazing. I've never taken the time to watch a kicker like that before.

He does appear to be pretty good at directional punting but don't you kind of wonder how many attempts it took? They probably edit out the bad punts. Not saying he doesn't look good but you have to wonder what you aren't seeing.

I guess you never really know, but it looks like the directional ones are unedited. They flow pretty well from kick to kick.

You guys also seem to be forgetting that in those directional kicking videos he isn't facing any kind of rush whatsoever. I would imagine kicking against a rush, even when the defense has a return set up, it is quite a bit different.

He is a punter...and I wouldn't worry about the amount of time it takes him to kick...I am certain that will be remedied by the coaches

This kid is money - very impressed with his video!

I think he appears to have the tools to do anything we ask of him and given that our Special Teams are usually excellent, I don't think there is any reason to think the coaching staff won't get his timing straightened out. You can teach a guy to kick the ball faster, but you cant teach leg strength like that (well... maybe Chris Doyle can, but I guess thats just one more thing in our favor...)

YouTube - Jonny Mullings, K/P, Class 2010, HD

I thought I would put my 2 cents in about this kid. At 21 years old and going to be a freshman next season... he is a monster. He (on average) can kick off 75 yards per kickoff. He also has the ability to punt the ball where-ever he pleases. I think this kid is going to be a HUGE asset to Iowa if he can continue to punt as well as he does in the video.

I also believe Jon Miller gave him some "props" on SoundOff Saturday. Thought I would see what you guys thought of him.

Agreed! Kicking off 75yd average! Punting a 55yd average and 5 second hang time!

Latest posts