Jon you're great, but......

It just has me concerned is all.

According to the rest of the black&gold colored glasses wearing crowd, you're not allowed to be concerned.

Now, if Jon comes back and says HE is concerned, then the rest of the spinners will quietly slink away back to their shadows. But not until then.

I'm not jumping off of a cliff about it. But this is the third time we've let a team march down the field like this. It just has me concerned is all.

It's cool home slice...I just don't share the level of doom I'm sensing from some of the board...it just seems like a battle between "glass half full vs glass half empty"...and once the game is over, I just refill the glass...unless we lose...then I throw the glass in the sink and b!tch that it broke...

According to the rest of the black&gold colored glasses wearing crowd, you're not allowed to be concerned.

Now, if Jon comes back and says HE is concerned, then the rest of the spinners will quietly slink away back to their shadows. But not until then.

That or some of us don't share the chicken little mentality of some...especially after a win. But hell yeah! We're just spin doctors because we don't share your level of pants shittin'...:D

That or some of us don't share the chicken little mentality of some...especially after a win. But hell yeah! We're just spin doctors because we don't share your level of pants shittin'...:D

Not everyone (like myself) is doom and gloom though. However, the people who make reasonable arguments and present legitimate concerns (and not just the typical hot air blowing) get thrown in with the chicken littles. That gets frustrating.

You also don't share my level of reality in that you people keep excusing away the fact that this team isn't as good as it could have been. But hey, if that makes your world bearable, have at it.

Chicken little? That's laughable, considering some of you are carrying around empty sacks between your legs.

This team has problems, but you go on and act like everything is perfect. :rolleyes:

That gets frustrating.

And yet, it's typical. This forum, like any other, gets a mob mentality of "We're right, you're wrong, and if you don't like it, we'll call you names because we have the intellect of children."

It's beyond frustrating - it's just downright ******* stupid.

Good teams almost always have a turd game or two every year. We had the UNI and NW debacles last year. I'm just glad we survived today. Definitely was not our best game. But I think coming into this game and NW everybody knows that these are teams that give us fits. The offensive styles essentially take our D-line out of the equation with the quick passing game.

I also look at it this way. We almost never win games where we shoot ourselves in the foot with dumb penalties and poor special teams. Usually we are able to take a lead and make it look like we are going to overcome it only to lose in the end. Today we got a break. Let's kick the crap out of NW now.

BINGO!

Not everyone (like myself) is doom and gloom though. However, the people who make reasonable arguments and present legitimate concerns (and not just the typical hot air blowing) get thrown in with the chicken littles. That gets frustrating.

True, but there are different levels to the concerned side as well as the positive thinking side, but we all get lumped into "doom and gloomers" and "kool-aid drinkers"...when most of us are probably somewhere in the middle of both. But those lines gets blurred when people start taking things personally or don't like what's being said...it starts seeming that "concern" turns to b!tching and "positivity" turns to kool-aid drinking and then it's on...we start eating our own.

You also don't share my level of reality in that you people keep excusing away the fact that this team isn't as good as it could have been. But hey, if that makes your world bearable, have at it.

Chicken little? That's laughable, considering some of you are carrying around empty sacks between your legs.

This team has problems, but you go on and act like everything is perfect. :rolleyes:

Haha...you silly...make Shane laugh:)

And yet, it's typical. This forum, like any other, gets a mob mentality of "We're right, you're wrong, and if you don't like it, we'll call you names because we have the intellect of children."

It's beyond frustrating - it's just downright ******* stupid.

Pot, Kettle...Kettle, Pot...

Just enjoy the win. I am old enough to have lived through most of Iowa's 19 straight losing seasons in the '60s and '70s. I guess I just look at every win as a good thing.

I am that old too, or even older. I remember back to the 50's. But, when you get into the redzone 4 times and can only come away with 3 fieldgoals, any halfway average team will usually eat your lunch for you. I have been on several CFB boards today, and the argument is, who sucked the most, the offense or defense? I can only assume it was the offense since 18 points seems kind of low for the offense, and 13 points seems about right for the defense. They do this against NW and I am sure they will get their lunch ate for them.

I do enjoy the wins. I posted on here when Iowa won its 6th game that there was a time when just going .500 would have caused wild celebration throughout the State. Having 7 wins and being bowl eligible would have had grown men weeping for joy in the streets. I am so glad Iowa got Fry and Ferentz.

Last edited:
This was by far Iowa's worst performance of the year. But good teams find a way to win and the offense did just enough on the last scoring drive to do that. I think our MVP for the game was Belcher from Indiana after dropping what would have been the game winner. He got behind the entire defense which doesn't happen often. I'll take a win like this all day long over a loss!

Jon's a cheerleader, a pollyanna. Only problem is: Iowa doesn't get better. IMO anyone or team can always get better.

I've got to note: ..."got behind the entire defense (Iowa's defense) which doesn't happen often". In which world?

Last edited:
I don't think we played that bad - a little sloppy perhaps, but the effort was there. Our D gave up only 13 points on the road to a good IU offense. Yes, IU dropped the game winning pass, but the very play before Greenwood dropped a game winning interception, so that offset each other. Otherwise, the O ran up and down the field. Frankly, if O'Keefe would have kept running the ball when we got inside the 12 we win 31-13 or something like that. The redzone playcalling was not good and Stanzi was not particulalry sharp.

silvanthalas -

What good does it do to worry?

You do realize that when all our top starters at LB were healthy ... the D, overall, was playing at a much higher level. Earlier in the season, the DBs were making more errors and Hyde was exhibiting his inexperience more.

Sure ... this Iowa team has warts. It's not a flawless team. Furthermore, with Nielsen out for the season ... we're going to have to contend with having somebody fill the LEO spot who isn't nearly as "natural" at the spot as Tyler. It sucks ... but it's also the game of football. Injuries happen ... and that then makes pretty complete teams all of a sudden become more exploitable. However, the team should be judged more by how they respond to adversity rather than focussing solely on their shortcomings.

I know that fans love to tout how "their team can beat the crap out of team X" ... however, that's simply not how the Hawks are built.

Just enjoy the win. I am old enough to have lived through most of Iowa's 19 straight losing seasons in the '60s and '70s. I guess I just look at every win as a good thing.

Exactly, CF. I'll take a "bad win" any day of the week.

The team will work hard this week. They'll be focused. Not a bad thing.

I remember some really bad seasons when I was a kid. Bob Commings was a great guy and all, but I'll take Iowa's top 20 ranking and ongoing national relevance over the two-to-five win seasons any time.

Iowa still has a shot at having a great year. Let's remember that IU had Iowa just about in the grave last year, but Iowa pulled it out. Iowa won at MSU on the last play of the game last year. The margin of error isn't so great at Iowa.

Look at NW. They were up 21-0 yesterday and gave up, I think, five straight touchdowns. NW won 9 games last year. Look at OU and Texas. Tons of talent on those teams, yet they lost yesterday.

I'll enjoy ANY win.

Latest posts