Jon - what do you and Steve think about these A&M rumors?

shaver363

Are there any implications for the Big 10 here? Do you think that Delaney will allow the SEC to go to 14 and take Mizzou - essentially getting in on our territory? Could this be the domino that pushes Notre Dame towards us?

We haven't talked to one another about this as of yet.

As for A&M, I don't think it's sword rattling...I don't see what they can gain from posturing...they already attained favored nation status with last year's revamped B12 deal...there isn't much more they can do...and they feel that they don't have to play little brother to Texas. They have 83K fans that come to each home game, the 13th largest stadium in the sport...they have a great tradition, a championship tradition, a great home field heritage...

I think Texas A&M would be a good fit in the SEC and the SEC would love to get into Texas more easily. If that happens, it would be a hit to a programs like Texas Tech and Baylor...but also a little hit to Oklahoma IMO, as they recruit a lot of Texas players. There will be more and more sharks in the water, which doesn't help.

Then again, I think Oklahoma may then be bound for the SEC as well. I think the SEC tries to get them until they are told no, before ever look at Missouri...I don't think Missouri would be high on their pecking order with geography being a big thing...I could see the SEC picking off an ACC school like VT or Clemson well ahead of going for Missouri.

The Big 12 would be a dead league walking (if it lost A&M AND Oklahoma), and maybe the Big East makes overtures to the forgotten four of ISU, KSU, KU and Missouri...

Something like that would probably happen...and then, Notre Dame really has to look at what it wants to do, because we are at a tipping point of their being four super leagues.

IMO, the B1G is not expanding again unless Notre Dame is involved, and that will only be if Notre Dame initiates the conversation.

If A&M left, but the B12 lost no one else, then it probably hangs on for a while...they have a strong ally right now in Fox...Fox probably wants the B12 to stay together, because they have a piece of that action in the college FB tv rights land grab...and they own 49% of the BTN too.

Nine is the perfect size for a conference, IMO.

Also, if UT can be independent, by the same logic they don't need A&M in their conference. If Gov. Perry can get the politicians to let A&M go, the B12 will get richer (per school), and easier for UT to get a BCS bid.

It works out for everybody. Including ISU.

Nine is the perfect size for a conference, IMO.

Also, if UT can be independent, by the same logic they don't need A&M in their conference. If Gov. Perry can get the politicians to let A&M go, the B12 will get richer (per school), and easier for UT to get a BCS bid.

It works out for everybody. Including ISU.

True, if ISU gets dropped by Iowa and replaced with another cupcake then they only need to win 2 conference games a year to become bowl eligible. :D

As much as I knock the Big 12, I don't want to see it fold and I wish they'd take Nebraska back. I'm sick of them already.

I realize it's all about money, but I feel the conferences are forgetting why college football is so popular. It's about traditions, rivalries, etc. Expanding leagues to 16 teams dilutes the product.

Part of the reason I get out of bed on September Saturdays is to watch the Big 12 lose. I love to hate them. Don't take that from me.

That being said, I would think A&M would jump at the chance to go to the SEC and it should leave the rest of the conference scared.

I don't like the thought of 16 team leqagues no matter who's in them. I just don't think it will work well if that's what it goes to.

Why isn't the Big 12 looking at expansion? CSU, Nevada, BYU, Houston, etc are there for the taking. Why wouldn't you want to add more teams, especially when you are adding teams that you would likely beat on the field?

you go to 16 team leagues, you are not a league anymore in the traditional sense. You are strictly business partners.

Why isn't the Big 12 looking at expansion? CSU, Nevada, BYU, Houston, etc are there for the taking. Why wouldn't you want to add more teams, especially when you are adding teams that you would likely beat on the field?

Then they'd have to share their TV money with them. There is almost no upside to anyone other than BYU on that list.

You are strictly business partners.

And schools aren't already?

Folks, football hasn't been about academics for awhile now. It hasn't been about the institutions.

It's about money, pure and simple.

And sure, the Big 12 will survive without A&M... bot for how long? The Inevitable is still out there since Colorado and Nebraska announced they were leaving for greener pastures.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty much a done deal. Everyone in Aggieland is already looking for tavel sites and hotels to SEC country.

you go to 16 team leagues, you are not a league anymore in the traditional sense. You are strictly business partners.

Jon, I sure miss you and Deace talking CFB expansion. You guys always seem to come up with great insight and conspiracy theories which make for good water cooler talk.

As for the 16 team leagues I agree and WHEN it happens I think the NCAA will cease to exist. I could see the B1G and SEC expanding to 16 and separating themselves from the NCAA altogether because they will have enough clout to do so. I dont know if that is good or bad.

BYU's impact would be minimal IMO as well... they already have that mormon network they plan to air all their games on.

Jon, I sure miss you and Deace talking CFB expansion. You guys always seem to come up with great insight and conspiracy theories which make for good water cooler talk.

As for the 16 team leagues I agree and WHEN it happens I think the NCAA will cease to exist. I could see the B1G and SEC expanding to 16 and separating themselves from the NCAA altogether because they will have enough clout to do so. I dont know if that is good or bad.

Do you mean the BCS won't exist? Why would the NCAA not exist because team's realigned in super conferences?

Do you mean the BCS won't exist? Why would the NCAA not exist because team's realigned in super conferences?

Lots of people like to say that 'the NCAA won't exist', or that teams will 'leave' it, but no one really knows what that means or how it would work. It's crazy talk.

I agree with the thought that the SEC would go after VT or Clemson before Missouri. Once the SEC pulls one or both of them out of the ACC, then I think the Big10 gets Maryland to leave, and the fun begins. If the SEC took VT, then I think UVA comes to the Big10 with Maryland. ND is never going to join up, but I give them a courtesy call anyway.

As for ISU, KSU, KU, and Mizzou joining the Big East ... what if the Big East just joined up with the remaining BigXII schools, took on a new name, and created east and west divisions

BigMidwest: ISU, KSU, KU, Mizzou, Louisville, Cincinnati

Latest posts