Jon Stewart's take

Sexual immorality led to decline of the Roman Empire. What does the PSU and the Catholic church scandal have to say about the American people?

Let's not act like the Catholic church stuff is limited to America. It was occurring all over the world. Is still is occurring, if Ireland is any indication.

Please do clark. I've got all day...

Let's start with the obvious, Christianity wasn't even born yet (literally) at the height of the Roman Empire. Christianity became the state's official religion well before the fall of the Empire. So are you really going to take the position that sexual immorality was worse after the Roman Empire became a Christian state?

The fall of the Roman Empire, and it's causes is a pretty good discussion. Your opinion is one I've never seen before and for good reason. I think most people believe that the fall was inevitable as it has been proven many times throughout history that controlling that much of an area is impossible.

Side-swipe: The Ottoman Empire lasted a thousand years, and they practiced polygamy.

So, obviously we're doing it wrong. ;)

Let's start with the obvious, Christianity wasn't even born yet (literally) at the height of the Roman Empire. Christianity became the state's official religion well before the fall of the Empire. So are you really going to take the position that sexual immorality was worse after the Roman Empire became a Christian state?

The fall of the Roman Empire, and it's causes is a pretty good discussion. Your opinion is one I've never seen before and for good reason. I think most people believe that the fall was inevitable as it has been proven many times throughout history that controlling that much of an area is impossible.

Although Juga over-stated his case, there are some scholars that believe that the spread of sexually transmitted diseases played an important part in the end of the Roman Empire. Tough case to prove, though.

If you ask me, the fall of the Roman Empire had way more to do with finances than STDs.

Although Juga over-stated his case, there are some scholars that believe that the spread of sexually transmitted diseases played an important part in the end of the Roman Empire. Tough case to prove, though.

If you ask me, the fall of the Roman Empire had way more to do with finances than STDs.

I have heard disease playing a role (sexually transmitted included) but I agree that's way overstating his case.

Please do clark. I've got all day...

I thought you had all day?:D

Ugh, John Stewart, how I loathe thee. He's more obnoxious than anyone he belittles, and he preaches his message like you're an idiot for holding different beliefs. I wish he would go back to the "politics is crazy" days.

That's not about B1G sports, so I digress.

Ugh, John Stewart, how I loathe thee. He's more obnoxious than anyone he belittles, and he preaches his message like you're an idiot for holding different beliefs. I wish he would go back to the "politics is crazy" days.

That's not about B1G sports, so I digress.

Yes, he is so much more worse than the unbiased reporters like Keith Olberman and Sean Hannity...

Sounds like most people on these boards no matter what the subject!

Sounds like most people on these boards no matter what the subject!

Kinda interesting with all the catholic comparisons. I suppose it's natural.

McQueary - Irish catholic?

Paterno - Italian catholic?

Sandusky - Polish catholic?

I wonder if these guys went to their priests for advice on what to do.

Sexual immorality led to decline of the Roman Empire. What does the PSU and the Catholic church scandal have to say about the American people?

This statement is so patently false I don't even know where to begin. If you don't like "the gays", that's your thing...but when you twist (or invent) facts, you look like a real buffoon.

Fwiw, it wasn't necessarily sexual immortality that led to Rome's fall. Rather, evidence of sexual immortality is sighted as one of many contributing factors in the slow decline of morality in Rome. Things such as excessive prostitution and disease are examples. Further non-sexual examples of immorality include gladiator battles, excessive partying in the upper class, and large scale substance abuse. Christianity was certainly around during the fall of Rome (ca 200-476 ce), but it at times was divisive. Regardless of this fact, Christianity is not required in order to have immorality...

So, sexual immorality (if you consider those things immoral) was one of many factors. However, most would consider financial collapse, military failure, political corruption, barbarian invasions, and civil war to be much bigger factors...

* clarification- if the reference of sexual immorality was in strict reference to homosexuality I have never read or heard of any strong evidence to back that claim.

Latest posts