Jon...Rose Bowl hosts BCS nat. champ. game?

moelhawk

Jon,
The Rose Bowl hosts the 2010 BCS national championship game, correct? So if we beat MSU, how do we have one foot in the Rose Bowl? Wouldn't we also need to have Texas lose? It seems like all the recent BCS articles written about the Hawkeyes leave out the fact that Iowa could possibly be left out of the Rose Bowl if they happen to win the Big Ten Championship. Could you weigh in on this?

Great work on your "new" HawkeyeNation site and THANKS for making it free!

Wilton, Iowa...the greatest EIHC school....ever.

The Rose Bowl is played in the Rose Bowl every year. The BCS National Championship game is being played in the facility called the Rose Bowl this year, as it is every four years.

There is only one Rose Bowl game.

All-in-all. If we win out... we are going to be playing *in* the Rose Bowl. Be it the NC game or the actual bowl game.

How long has the BCS had this format, where the NC game is played a week later at the location of one of the BCS bowls? I thought the reason we played in the Orange Bowl in 2002 was because the NC game was at the Rose Bowl.

How long has the BCS had this format, where the NC game is played a week later at the location of one of the BCS bowls? I thought the reason we played in the Orange Bowl in 2002 was because the NC game was at the Rose Bowl.

I think it's only been a couple years now that they've had this format. This might be about the 3rd (?) or so...

Short version is two games will be played in that stadium, the Rose Bowl and the National Championship game

The 2007 BCS championship game (following 2006 regular season) was the first 'stand alone' NC game. tOSU vs FL was the match-up.

The previous year, the Rose Bowl hosted the NC game between USC and TX; the Big Ten champs were bumped to Fiesta (tOSU) and Orange (PSU).

I found this on the BCS history page.

Actually, the reason the Hawks played in the 2003 Orange Bowl vs. USC was that Iowa was an at-large team for BCS considerations, not the automatic qualifier that tOSU was. The Fiesta Bowl was the BCS NCG that year, and since Miami and Ohio State were the No. 1 and 2 teams in the final BCS standings, the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl had the first and second choices to fill their rosters. The Orange picked first, and they took Iowa, I assume. The Rose picked second and took Nebraska to face Oregon, as Oregon won the Pac-10, iirc. Since the Orange still had an open spot, they took USC. I could be wrong on the order they took Iowa and USC that year, but the Orange Bowl had the first choice.

So technically there will be two teams that are Rose Bowl Champions? I guess one could be the National Champions and the other the Rose Bowl Champions but still I think it's stupid. I'd rather the two games were one and the same every four years. So if the Hawks made the Rose Bowl they were considered both Rose Bowl Champs and National Champs.

DP, that used to be the way of it, but when they decided to add a 5th BCS game, they decided to stick with their four bowl sites rather than add another site (The Cotton Bowl for example)...they had a good working relationship with the sites they had so they didn't want to mess with it.

But there will still just be one Rose Bowl Champion. And one BCS Champion.

Thanks for the clarification Croquet. That's kinda the way I assumed it was in the new scenario I guess I just preferred it the old way. Its not really that big of a deal so I'm not to worked up about it I just liked the old way better. Heck we might as well just get rid of the whole damn BCS system anyway. They're capable of making stupid decisions, like this for example, but they can't make the ultimate decision that would be best for the game. Too bad it's always about the bottom line.

Whatever tho... regardless I've enjoyed every second of this season thus far and will continue too. Let's just hope the Hawks will be playing and winning in one of those two games held in the Rose Bowl this season.

Not that is matters but the 2003 Rose Bowl was Oklahoma vs. Washington State. I also think it was the first time Oklahoma had played in the Rose Bowl.

So technically there will be two teams that are Rose Bowl Champions? I guess one could be the National Champions and the other the Rose Bowl Champions but still I think it's stupid. I'd rather the two games were one and the same every four years. So if the Hawks made the Rose Bowl they were considered both Rose Bowl Champs and National Champs.

Yea, 1 Rose Bowl Champion and 1 BCS National Champion. The national championship is being played at Rose Bowl Stadium but does not use the name, rather just the same title sponsor (Citi) and then the city. So...it's officially the 2010 Citi BCS National Championship Game - Pasadena. They of course use the rose image but do not refer to the roses by name. Last year it was the 2009 Fedex BCS National Championship Game - South Florida and so on. This was mainly done because the Rose Bowl people did not like giving up their game to 2 teams not from the Pac 10 and Big Ten, so they added a 5th game to keep all the conference affiliations intact...and money, of course. I want to say its not complicated, but that took a while to type.

I will take playing in Pasadena at Rose Bowl Stadium anytime, they can name it whatever they want!

Go Hawks! Beat Sparty!

Actually, the reason the Hawks played in the 2003 Orange Bowl vs. USC was that Iowa was an at-large team for BCS considerations, not the automatic qualifier that tOSU was. The Fiesta Bowl was the BCS NCG that year, and since Miami and Ohio State were the No. 1 and 2 teams in the final BCS standings, the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl had the first and second choices to fill their rosters. The Orange picked first, and they took Iowa, I assume. The Rose picked second and took Nebraska to face Oregon, as Oregon won the Pac-10, iirc. Since the Orange still had an open spot, they took USC. I could be wrong on the order they took Iowa and USC that year, but the Orange Bowl had the first choice.

Iowa and USC were both at large teams. Washington State actually won the Pac 10. The Orange Bowl picked 1st and took Iowa. The Rose Bowl then picked Oklahoma since they didn't want a Pac 10 Pac 10 matchup. The Orange then took USC

Latest posts