Jon: Question about your KXNO listernship numbers

chicityhawk

Does it take into account the number people who listen to it on podcast or online? I live in Chicago, and listen to the podcasts every day.
Thanks.

What happened to the KXNO signal? I am on the road frequently and could get KXNO a lot farther away than what I can now...seems like it dropped off late last fall sometime. Prior to that I could receive it with little problem clear down past Pella on 163 and clear up north toward the Stanhope exit on I-35.

As for the numbers being vague, yes they are. They are samplings of diaries...its a horrible system, but its the system in place.

As for KXNO signal, certain classes of stations have to power down at local sunset and ramp back up at local sunrise. I believe we are a Class C AM, so we are included in that. WHO is not. So when the clocks change and there is less daylight, that means the broadcast range before sunrise and after sunset is diminished.

Which when you factor in our relatively weak signal strength, our numbers are even more impressive ;)

As for the numbers being vague, yes they are. They are samplings of diaries...its a horrible system, but its the system in place.

As for KXNO signal, certain classes of stations have to power down at local sunset and ramp back up at local sunrise. I believe we are a Class C AM, so we are included in that. WHO is not. So when the clocks change and there is less daylight, that means the broadcast range before sunrise and after sunset is diminished.

Which when you factor in our relatively weak signal strength, our numbers are even more impressive ;)

Jon, what is the reasoning for powering down during dark hours? I've never understood that.

That's a bummer,I drive to IHHC every day and lose you guy's around Oskaloosa.1700 comes in all the way down in Ottumwa,I wish it was the opposite way around.

certain classes of stations have to power down at local sunset and ramp back up at local sunrise.

In the morning and evening there are always two successive static interruptions in the middle of your program. I assume that is the signal ramping up or down. The first time I noticed it during your show, it was around 7:45 a.m. but this morning it was at around 7:15 a.m., which was right around sunrise.

Jon, what is the reasoning for powering down during dark hours? I've never understood that.

Reason: 40,000 watt clear-channel stations (not Clear Channel Communications) get the right-of-way at night, and other stations have to power down to let them broadcast. It's why you can pull in stations from around the country in the middle of the night. It's why you can pull-in WHO in Las Vegas when it's dark.

See...
Clear-channel station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was disppointed that today's 2nd hour of the podcast was cut short. nearly 20 minutes of Lost seems a little excessive.. 7 minutes on B10 basketball then 10 minutes on expansion(it ends mid speech).

What is this interesting NCAA story that was never talked about that was on the menu. *shrug*

I was disppointed that today's 2nd hour of the podcast was cut short. nearly 20 minutes of Lost seems a little excessive.. 7 minutes on B10 basketball then 10 minutes on expansion(it ends mid speech).

What is this interesting NCAA story that was never talked about that was on the menu. *shrug*

We had a technical issue later in the 7pm hour.

The Obannon story vs the NCAA will be talked about tomorrow, along with the Gary Williams/AAU recruiting story.

What happened to the KXNO signal? I am on the road frequently and could get KXNO a lot farther away than what I can now...seems like it dropped off late last fall sometime. Prior to that I could receive it with little problem clear down past Pella on 163 and clear up north toward the Stanhope exit on I-35.

They're a sun up to sundown station hogeye...they have to cut their signal down from sundown to sunrise...plus AM signals get effected by all sorts of things, so there are a few contributing factors as to why it started during the fall.

Edit: I should've kept reading before replying so I didn't sound like a parrot...

Last edited:
Reason: 40,000 watt clear-channel stations (not Clear Channel Communications) get the right-of-way at night, and other stations have to power down to let them broadcast. It's why you can pull in stations from around the country in the middle of the night. It's why you can pull-in WHO in Las Vegas when it's dark.

I was in San Antonio for work about 7 years ago and was able to get the Dolphin's play by play on the radio for a basketball game on WHO in my rent a car. That was unbelievable!

I was disppointed that today's 2nd hour of the podcast was cut short. nearly 20 minutes of Lost seems a little excessive.. 7 minutes on B10 basketball then 10 minutes on expansion(it ends mid speech).]

Jon you can talk about Lost for 2 hours and I will listen and love it!

We get calls from Florida, Wyoming, Montana and other states during Soundoff after the sun goes down...Zabel started replaying the Iowa games on WHO back in the 1950's so people in California that were Iowa natives could hear it!

I am noticing this change during broad daylight hours though.

What is 1700 in terms of AM Class? Their signal hasn't changed at all since I've noticed, but maybe they don't have to tweak theirs.

I am noticing this change during broad daylight hours though.

What is 1700 in terms of AM Class? Their signal hasn't changed at all since I've noticed, but maybe they don't have to tweak theirs.

Their night time signal is less than daytime. U can see coverage maps at radiolocator

Latest posts