Jon, nice rant this morning

I could definitely see some disappointed people if we don't go 12-0. I know I will be disappointed. I've questioned some of the things our coaches (KOK) have done, and I'll admit it, but I've never said I want him fired. I'd hope no one would call for anyone's head if we don't go 12-0 but I could easily see the frustration people would have.

Being so close to 12-0 and being able to taste perfection and a chance at a national championship would be heartbreaking if we lose. Also, with the lack of respect we're getting it would be the greatest revenge to be able to prove our critics wrong. I have no problem with being disappointed for not finishing 12-0, as long as it doesn't come to disrespecting others.

I think everyone realizes we've exceeded expectations but sometimes frustration gets the best of someone. I will be happy with a Rose Bowl and one or two losses but 12-0 and a NC sounds so good.

how many times have you heard some tool call soundoff and suggest we fire norm parker?

a fanbase is just a microcosm of society, so your bound to have a few crazies running around here and there.

however i do think we should fire KOK. way too boring. blah!

Actually the post was a response to Jon's rant. He said what he said on the Radio. Than I simply stated my opinion that a loss to Indiana would be embarrassing and there is no excuse if it happens. These next two games are key to the season. for 8-0 to mean anything Iowa must win these next two games. I expect a loss at OSU. I am picking OSU to win out and go to the Rose Bowl. I just want to be 10-0 going into Columbus. Can you imagine the hype?

FYI. My thread recieved the most replys of all of today's threads. So obviously people have strong opinions about this subject and I think that is a good thing. I dont see why people are always affraid of discussion.

Last edited:
I didn't read the post in question but I fully agree that anything less than 11-1 is unacceptable at this point. After everything this team has pushed through this season there is no excuse for a letdown to a lesser team.

The thing I think is funny is that if I was saying I didn't think Iowa would win any of the remaining games you guys would be rounding up the posse and ready to burn me at the stake.

Actually the post was a response to Jon's rant. He said what he said on the Radio. Than I simply stated my opinion that a loss to Indiana would be embarrassing and there is no excuse if it happens. These next two games are key to the season. for 8-0 to mean anything Iowa must win these next two games. I expect a loss at OSU. I am picking OSU to win out and go to the Rose Bowl. I just want to be 10-0 going into Columbus. Can you imagine the hype?

FYI. My thread recieved the most replys of all of today's threads. So obviously people have strong opinions about this subject and I think that is a good thing. I dont see why people are always affraid of discussion.

Incorrect, untrue and backpedaling. My rant came after I read your post. your post was not before it. your post was the reason I was worked up.

Theres no way that this is a bad season regardless of what happens the next 4 weeks.We've got the whole country buzzing about our Hawks and a lot of you thought next year was going to be our big year with what we have coming back.If the players and coaches can stay grounded I think we can also.We have a few people who like to come on here and pick our team apart even when we win,so we know how there going to act when and if we lose our first game.It will be KOK's fault or NP's fault or KF's fault and everyone will forget about how well we've been playing the close games.Lets keep this dream going and root our Hawks on and if we lose lets pick them up and root them on the next game because that's what real fans do.Jon keep up the good work you do.

The thing is, I can see what's coming. I can see down the road if Iowa loses a game here in the final four weeks, what will happen. There will be a very loud and vocal segment of the fanbase that loses their minds. It will be a small segment, but that segment is so ovre the top their numbers seem amplified due to the voracity of their posts and calls.

How do I know this? Because i have been doing this for 10 years...on the boards and on call in talk shows. Been there, done that and I don't think it would be fair to this team for folks to have a flip out meltdown if that happens.

I think Iowa can win every game on its schedule, but I think they could lose to two or three of the teams, too.

Doesn't going on a rant about posters who say things like this just give them credibility? Wouldn't ignoring this "minority" be more productive?

Doesn't going on a rant about posters who say things like this just give them credibility? Wouldn't ignoring this "minority" be more productive?

I don't think he should ignore them. I mean they are really such a minority but they have such a loud voice because of boards like this, and call in talk shows. The majority of fans are level headed, but those are NOT the people who call into shows. I get tired of them myself, and I like the fact Jon shoots them down, because they are not what Hawkeye Nation is in my mind.

Agreed. I live outside the great state of Iowa and thus did not hear Jon's rant, but given what I've heard it is deserved. We will lose at least one game this regular season, just based upon the history of college football. Now that we have lost some components of an offense that wasn't exactly lighting it up, we may lose two or three. I'm not trying to rain on the parade, I am just trying to think of this team in comparison to Iowa history and college football history.

When we started the season, many of us would have been excited about anything over 8 or 9 wins given the schedule (and that was with a healthy Jewell Hampton). I predicted 8-4, so even with the heightened expectations during the year I feel that wins from here on out are gravy (and I like gravy). Like Kirk, we should not get too high or too low on this team. Enjoy the ride folks, for as long as it lasts! If we hit some adversity, don't panic!

You see this is the type of thinking I was referring to. So because we lost ARob and Dace it is now a fact that we will lose a football game and it's likely that we will lose 2 or maybe even 3?

Really? Is it just me or did we not win some huge games earlier this year without our two best offensive players (Bulaga & Moeaki)

I live in Cedar Rapids, but love coming into work early and streaming the KXNO show in the morning. Deace and Miller are fun to listen to. Injuries are part of the game and we just do are best to adapt.

Latest posts