Jon, nice rant this morning

qwintart

I don't know how many people caught it, but it was a well spoken rant regarding a poster saying no excuses and anything less than 11-1 is unacceptable. This is what Hawkeye football is about, next man in, getting the most out of 3 star recruits. Keep doing what you are doing Hawks, we are behind ya!!

I don't know how many people caught it, but it was a well spoken rant regarding a poster saying no excuses and anything less than 11-1 is unacceptable. This is what Hawkeye football is about, next man in, getting the most out of 3 star recruits. Keep doing what you are doing Hawks, we are behind ya!!

The actual post is only like 10 below this one.

I totally agree Jon - great rant. I guess we just keep forgetting the long history of undefeated seasons and national championships that we have racked up in football. Looking at pre-season projections, I think that we could lose all 4 remaining games (although that isn't going to happen) and still finish right in-line with what most of the "experts" predicted. I can pretty much guarantee you that the people who are posting the comments about no excuses and anything else than 11-1 or 12-0 is unacceptable never played any sports beyond the high school glory days, and more than likely beyond junior high.

For anyone of this mindset, I would like to quote a great American and the big toe - "Lighten Up, Francis." - Sgt. Hulka

Sorry, but that rant was ridiculous. It was ONE email he received and Jon went on like every Hawk fan in the world was making these no excuses claims.....heck, the email could have come from a Cyclone fan just trying to get under his skin...if so, it worked.

Oh well, I guess some people think that acting like a 6 year old on the air is good radio...me on the other hand, turned the channel....in my opinion, I think a normal conversation about how some people can go over the top during a year this great would have been fine and to use this as a point of reference on how you can see why the past success of OSU, PSU, UM, etc. has spoiled the fan base into thinking such things... but to single out ONE email? Come on....

Sorry, but that rant was ridiculous. It was ONE email he received and Jon went on like every Hawk fan in the world was making these no excuses claims.....heck, the email could have come from a Cyclone fan just trying to get under his skin...if so, it worked.

Oh well, I guess some people think that acting like a 6 year old on the air is good radio...me on the other hand, turned the channel....in my opinion, I think a normal conversation about how some people can go over the top during a year this great would have been fine and to use this as a point of reference on how you can see why the past success of OSU, PSU, UM, etc. has spoiled the fan base into thinking such things... but to single out ONE email? Come on....

It wasn't an e-mail, it was a post on HIS website directed AT Jon. So he responded. And don't be so naive to think this is just one bad apple from the Hawk fan tree. There are many out there that share similar opinions and Jon called them out. Many of us are equally sick of these ungrateful fans giving fellow Hawkeyes a bad name. If you can't enjoy this season and all you think about is how, at 8-0, this season will be a failure if we don't meet YOUR expectations, well then what CAN you enjoy? Just stop following football, or sports all together.

I agree it was ridiculous but for different reasons.

If I were going off on a rant about Hawkeye fans it wouldn't be against the fans who think their team should go 11-1 after they are 8-0 and have 3 home games against lesser compitition. It would be to the sky is falling crowd that after one half of the runningback combo goes down suddenly Iowa is doomed and can only hope to barely scrape by the lesser opponents and are already giving OSU the win.

Personally, I think Jon Miller was flirting with joining the second group this morning. ARob going down was a loss no doubt. But let's not pretend that either Indiana or Northwestern SHOULD beat Iowa the next two weeks. COULD they beat Iowa, absolutely. However, they could have done that with a completely healthy Iowa team as well.

I think saying 11-1 is unacceptable is a bad choice of wording. If it were me I'd say 11-1 is the minimum record I would be pleased with at this point. 10-2 would mean A)no Rose Bowl and B) losing to either Indiana, Northwestern, or Minnesota. 10-2 would be disappointing for me. Now if Stanzi gets hurt, or Clayborn, or Angerer, or Sash then we can talk about being happy with 2 losses.

The thing is, I can see what's coming. I can see down the road if Iowa loses a game here in the final four weeks, what will happen. There will be a very loud and vocal segment of the fanbase that loses their minds. It will be a small segment, but that segment is so ovre the top their numbers seem amplified due to the voracity of their posts and calls.

How do I know this? Because i have been doing this for 10 years...on the boards and on call in talk shows. Been there, done that and I don't think it would be fair to this team for folks to have a flip out meltdown if that happens.

I think Iowa can win every game on its schedule, but I think they could lose to two or three of the teams, too.

The thing is, I can see what's coming. I can see down the road if Iowa loses a game here in the final four weeks, what will happen. There will be a very loud and vocal segment of the fanbase that loses their minds. It will be a small segment, but that segment is so ovre the top their numbers seem amplified due to the voracity of their posts and calls.

How do I know this? Because i have been doing this for 10 years...on the boards and on call in talk shows. Been there, done that and I don't think it would be fair to this team for folks to have a flip out meltdown if that happens.

I think Iowa can win every game on its schedule, but I think they could lose to two or three of the teams, too.

So true. It makes me wonder how some of those people handle REAL stress in their lives.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
C'mon Jon, we want to hear the Jon Miller who says he has watched each of our remaining opponents play at least 3 games and is not overly concerned with any of them once we get through Wisc and MSU! :) I do see what you're saying though, the voices of the minority seem to be preceived as the majority in the tougher times.

I hear ya Jon on this. My spider sense starts tingling on some of these posts, where you can just tell they are going to FLIP OUT if the Hawks lose. There will be a meltdown by these guys, the fire KOK crowd will raise it's head, and the chorus of "We play too conservatively"!!

That's fine and I agree that if/when Iowa loses there are going to be a lot of angry Iowa fans (maybe less so if that loss is to OSU) and some of them are going to be over the top calling for players to be benched or coaches to be fired.

It's not fair to the team because coming into this season everone would have gladly taken 10-2. However, with great success comes great expectations. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Iowa to go 3-1 in their last 4 games, especially given that 3 of those 4 are at home against lesser compitition. And if someone wouldn't be disappointed with missing out on the Rose Bowl after coming this close, I would question their fanhood. It isn't like this is an every year occurance..

That's fine and I agree that if/when Iowa loses there are going to be a lot of angry Iowa fans (maybe less so if that loss is to OSU) and some of them are going to be over the top calling for players to be benched or coaches to be fired.

It's not fair to the team because coming into this season everone would have gladly taken 10-2. However, with great success comes great expectations. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Iowa to go 3-1 in their last 4 games, especially given that 3 of those 4 are at home against lesser compitition. And if someone wouldn't be disappointed with missing out on the Rose Bowl after coming this close, I would question their fanhood. It isn't like this is an every year occurance..

There is a difference between disappointment and having a meltdown, calling for players and coaches heads, etc.

There is a difference between disappointment and having a meltdown, calling for players and coaches heads, etc.

I agree.

My original point was that I thought Jon took it a little far and actually went towards the other end of the spectrum (the I'd be suprised if we beat anybody side of the fanbase). It's possible that I read too much into what he was saying but if that's so I doubt I'm the only one.

I feel like I have to get in my 2 cents worth. Did Jon go over the edge? Absolutely not....It's his show, he can say what he wants on HIS show. He has earned the right to do so.

I am 53 years old, and I grew up in a town of 200 people. One of my jobs (I think it was 1970 (Bob Cummings era...not sure) was to paint floors in the city hall. Of course, I was an Iowa fan. The Hawks were never on TV. No TV, no BTNW, No ESPN, HD? HA! Iowa was horrific. I listened to every Iowa game on WHO and we'd almost always get slaughtered. On this Saturday, I was painting away and we were actually close (IMO) to Illinois. Even in losing, I was ecstatic that we came within 22-6 of them. I was proud to be an Iowa fan; all I expected was for them was to play with heart. I get irritated when somebody who claims to be a Hawk fan throws smack just for throwing smack. If that's what you like, e-mail Jim Rome. Grow up, be proud to be a Hawkeye!!!

Agreed. I live outside the great state of Iowa and thus did not hear Jon's rant, but given what I've heard it is deserved. We will lose at least one game this regular season, just based upon the history of college football. Now that we have lost some components of an offense that wasn't exactly lighting it up, we may lose two or three. I'm not trying to rain on the parade, I am just trying to think of this team in comparison to Iowa history and college football history.

When we started the season, many of us would have been excited about anything over 8 or 9 wins given the schedule (and that was with a healthy Jewell Hampton). I predicted 8-4, so even with the heightened expectations during the year I feel that wins from here on out are gravy (and I like gravy). Like Kirk, we should not get too high or too low on this team. Enjoy the ride folks, for as long as it lasts! If we hit some adversity, don't panic!

Funny thing. before the season started, most fans would have been happy with a ten and two season. now that they are 8-0, and number 4 in the BCS, it seems noone will be happy with less then a 12 win regular season. Now that we all know it is possible. But we also know that past history with iowa, is that they always get bit by someone they should not. I will get really excited if Iowa comes out of these next two games 10-0. These are the two teams that i have been scared of all year. I knew Iowa would be ready for the rest of thee teams on their schedule. If they go 10-0, i will get on the 12-0 band wagon too. One game at a time....

Latest posts