Jon Miller What have you heard about SH?

Generally speaking, I think Iowa pushed the issue a bit to see how serious the family was related to Iowa's chances, and Iowa didn't get the response they wanted and I think chose to move on. Rob Howe has a good write up (subscription) at Hawkeye Insider

It isnt KFs first rodeo. Maybe he didnt want to see an Iowa cap thrown on the floor in front of a media circus.
Or maybe he really likes Phil Haddy and wasnt willing to give his job to Sean Henderson.

This late in the game, if the staff felt our chances were very slim with SH, gotta spend you time and resources where you have a legitimate shot.

If they are not going to take an official visit to your school, I think KF knows what that means. I'm in the camp of don't waste your time on players when you know you are chasing a 2% pipe dream.

I think SH looks great on paper but I can't forget an interview with his mother when she said they really liked USC because Sentreal would get "international exposure there". Sounds to me not to be our type of player even though I totally respect his talent. Think the ma and pa dominate his making a decision for totally other reasons than just developing his talent.

Generally speaking, I think Iowa pushed the issue a bit to see how serious the family was related to Iowa's chances, and Iowa didn't get the response they wanted and I think chose to move on. Rob Howe has a good write up (subscription) at Hawkeye Insider

Since this is pretty much what I have been saying the whole time, I would like to be the first one to say "Good call Ghost".

I still think you need to go in and make your impression....

Why? The kid has been to Iowa unofficially, who knows how many times. Met with the staff and team unofficially. He has connections who know KF and staff (Alt). The impressions have been made. In a strict sales POV, retracting the hand is not a bad thing to do anyway - KF is not desperate. At the very least, you see how much interest the other party truly has.

And, like someone else said in another thread, and it is a good point - all that happened was the visit didn't happen. As far as we know that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are not going to take an official visit to your school, I think KF knows what that means. I'm in the camp of don't waste your time on players when you know you are chasing a 2% pipe dream.

Exactly. According to the kid's dad, they weren't going to choose Iowa for their fifth and final official visit. Even without knowing the behing-the-scenes communications that the Iowa staff was part of, that fact makes it pretty obvious that Iowa wasn't even close to a top priority for Seantrel. In that case, I'm glad Kirk declined. What was the point? Pre-madonna recruit throwing a little bone to a proud program. Why? Why even invite Kirk if he wasn't even interested enough to make an official, in-depth visit? The Iowa football staff doesn't need to waste time traveling to a kid's house just to stroke his ego.

This kind of thought process, for example, is what this whole thing suggests to me: "Yeah, Iowa's not really good enough for me to go out of my way and take all the time to go to Iowa City and check out the program in any meaningful way. But, sure, what the heck. Kirk, I'll let you come see me."

The fact that he choose to visit (I'm assuming unofficial visits come out of you're own pocket) is proof that he was actually considering Iowa. If you want to make more than the 5 official visits or what ever it is that you are allowed it would only make sense to pay for the ones closest to home and let schools like USC pay for you officials.

Why? The kid has been to Iowa unofficially, who knows how many times. Met with the staff and team unofficially. He has connections who know KF and staff (Alt). The impressions have been made. In a strict sales POV, retracting the hand is not a bad thing to do anyway - KF is not desperate. At the very least, you see how much interest the other party truly has.

And, like someone else said in another thread, and it is a good point - all that happened was the visit didn't happen. As far as we know that was it.

He's been to Iowa City once for the IA/Min game. He didn't take in any of the facilities or tour the campus or speak to any advisors or anything. He rode down with Mark Alt and his father. They came to the game and immediately after the game, they turned around and went back to Minnesota. If he's not interested in seeing any more depth to the program and school, I agree with Kirk in that he doesn't seem interested enough.

It would be nice if the kid decided that Iowa may in fact be a good place for him and chose to visit. Some people react positively by being set straight by someone else (so to speak). Kirk doesn't put up with nonsense and that can be a quality that really gets someone's attention. Hopefully that is how the Henderson's respond and give IOWA a visit because Ferentz is a great coach, but an even better man. I don't expect it to turn out that way though.

Ok, i thought he probably had an informal meeting with Iowa football. If that is incorrect, that is kinda bizarre, given a supposed interest.

It is weird. Why drive all the way down to watch a FB game and not tour the facilities. I'd tour the facilities of Wisconsin out of curiosity (The leaking bladder and Tourettes Syndrome would insure that I wouldnt get invited back).;)
It is Camp Randall, after all.

It is weird. Why drive all the way down to watch a FB game and not tour the facilities. I'd tour the facilities of Wisconsin out of curiosity (The leaking bladder and Tourettes Syndrome would insure that I wouldnt get invited back).;)
It is Camp Randall, after all.

classic! :)

Latest posts