Jon, I have a criticism

vosov

I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate your work, both here on the site, and on the radio. You and Deace are the best local radio show that central Iowa has ever had, and it's not close. Here it comes.

A lot of the things that you here from Deace, and then regurgitate are in insightful and worth noting, but you need to come up with something else for the "Jihadic Iowa fans." Be original. Step out from Steve's shadow. If you are the one that actually came with it, please accept my apology.

If anybody doesn't need their ego stroked, it's Deace.

Deace, even if you get down to 150 lbs., you are still fat.

There, now I feel better.

The term Jihad, in the arabic, is translated to mean 'struggle' or 'inner struggle'. Always has.

Some have co-opted it to describe terrorists, or to mean 'holy war'

This is silly to have to type this, but I do not equate a segment of the Iowa fanbase with that of terrorists. Terrorists kill innocent people.

We are talking about football, and there is a segment of the fanbase that that is having a significant 'inner struggle' as I see it, or 'jihad'.

Personal opinion: Jon, the upside of using that term may be significantly less than the potential downside.

I think Deace is a pretty smart guy in a lot of ways but whenever he refers to others as jihadic it tends to make my chuckle.

I like the term "The Jihadic Wing"...every fanbase has it, it's not just Iowa...would there be an uproar over being called a "lunatic" if you go PC and drop the "Jihadic Wing" term and adopted "The Lunatic Fringe" even though that is currently held by ISU's chapter of the Jihadic Wing?

You guys have been using that term for years and if people are just now finding themselves being offended by it, it's probably because they know you're talking about them and they're still pissy about the current state of the Hawkeye program.

Personal opinion: Jon, the upside of using that term may be significantly less than the potential downside.

I would think it would be much easier to come up with another term than educating a bunch of folks who are having an 'inner struggle' with a football program.

jihadic doesnt come across as inner struggle it comes across as irrational, craziness.

I really don't care but it's not like I'm going to start calling people that disagree with me

the "Kooladic Wing"

Jon

Apparently those that have "co-opted" jihad include Merriam-Webster.

Definition of JIHAD
1: a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline
2: a crusade for a principle or belief

Jihad - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Jihad's meaning in aribic is much closer to crusade than it will ever be to terrorist. However to say that most people in this century do not associate jihad with holy war is short sighted.

Jon

Apparently those that have "co-opted" jihad include Merriam-Webster.

Definition of JIHAD
1: a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline
2: a crusade for a principle or belief

Jihad - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Jihad's meaning in aribic is much closer to crusade than it will ever be to terrorist. However to say that most people in this century do not associate jihad with holy war is short sighted.

"Holy war" and "crusade" are pretty much the same thing. To say that most people don't associate "jihad" with "terrorism" is shortsighted (to correct your sentence).

The term Jihad, in the arabic, is translated to mean 'struggle' or 'inner struggle'. Always has.

Some have co-opted it to describe terrorists, or to mean 'holy war'

This is silly to have to type this, but I do not equate a segment of the Iowa fanbase with that of terrorists. Terrorists kill innocent people.

We are talking about football, and there is a segment of the fanbase that that is having a significant 'inner struggle' as I see it, or 'jihad'.

You missed the point. I know what Jihad is, and I realize why you guys use it. You could use it in reference to any group of people that has segment of nutjobs. I'm not sure you even read what I wrote. It is too 'Deace like'. Which is great for Deace, but I think you should leave that one for him. It's his thing.

Anyway, just a 'pet peeve' of mine. A 'pet peeve' is some sort of personal constant annoyance if you're not familiar with the term. I'm not sure who came up with it.

I prefer the term "suicide bombers" in reference to those who run into message boards to do some angry typing.

I've been a "suicide bomber" before on here.

I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate your work, both here on the site, and on the radio. You and Deace are the best local radio show that central Iowa has ever had, and it's not close. Here it comes.

A lot of the things that you here from Deace, and then regurgitate are in insightful and worth noting, but you need to come up with something else for the "Jihadic Iowa fans." Be original. Step out from Steve's shadow. If you are the one that actually came with it, please accept my apology.

If anybody doesn't need their ego stroked, it's Deace.

Deace, even if you get down to 150 lbs., you are still fat.

There, now I feel better.
I have a criticism about posters who don't think....I'll save it for later though ;)

Latest posts