Jon - Expansion Question

edgyhawk

OK, assume you are in the ball park with the $$$'s that you projected in a different thread. Do you think there will be some caviat in regard to the schools having to reinvest their money or at least a large portion there of back into their athletic programs? Example - would we add hockey and/or Lacrosse? Would we actually put some resourses into our baseball program?

Here's where I'm going with this. If you have this windfall of profits from the network, wouldn't it make sense to reinvest it into making a better product? Certainly with the addition of schools, you have more games to offer. With more teams you have the opportunity to add more sports. Which opens the door for more advertising and more $$$'s for the schools. Any thoughts?

OK, assume you are in the ball park with the $$$'s that you projected in a different thread. Do you think there will be some caviat in regard to the schools having to reinvest their money or at least a large portion there of back into their athletic programs? Example - would we add hockey and/or Lacrosse? Would we actually put some resourses into our baseball program?

Here's where I'm going with this. If you have this windfall of profits from the network, wouldn't it make sense to reinvest it into making a better product? Certainly with the addition of schools, you have more games to offer. With more teams you have the opportunity to add more sports. Which opens the door for more advertising and more $$$'s for the schools. Any thoughts?

I would love to have ice hockey at Iowa! Unfortunatly there is no way you could put an ice sheet down in CHA, and it'll be a cold day in hell before they would build a hockey specific arena.:(

I thought the original purpose of the collapsible seating near the floor was to make space for a hockey rink in CHA? Am I totally wrong?

Would we add hockey and/or Lacrosse? Would we actually put some resourses into our baseball program?

Uh, don't forget Title IX. Any extra $$$ is going to women's hockey. Maybe a new softball stadium, or improvements to the women's boat house. ;)

Uh, don't forget Title IX. Any extra $$$ is going to women's hockey. Maybe a new softball stadium, or improvements to the women's boat house. ;)
Is the TITLE IX about scholarships or money spend on facilities?

I was always under the assumption that it pertained to equality in the numbers of scholarships given out to athletes.

Adding a womens lacrosse team would certainly be an option. I have watched the northwestern womens team on the BTN. It is sorta exciting.

Is the TITLE IX about scholarships or money spend on facilities?

I was always under the assumption that it pertained to equality in the numbers of scholarships given out to athletes.

Adding a womens lacrosse team would certainly be an option. I have watched the northwestern womens team on the BTN. It is sorta exciting.

It's all about giving the women equality pertaining to the # of sporting activities & scholarships, EVEN THOUGH, the majority of the revenue comes from the football programs & men's b-ball.

It's about facilities, too. Today's top story in the Burlington Hawk Eye:

SCC addressing Title IX complaint

By Nicholas Bergin

WEST BURLINGTON--Southeastern Community College officials hope within the next month to resolve a complaint filled with the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights alleging discrimination against intercollegiate female student athletes by failing to provide them with facilities equal to those male athletes compete and train on.

I guess at worst I would think the programs Iowa is offering right now would be safe. I don't know that they would add hockey. IMO, hockey would be yet another out of state tuition subsidy, as there are probably not enough kids in the state of Iowa that play it that could field a competitive team against the likes of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. We have basketball and wrestling in this state in the winter...wrestling is our hockey. I know that Minnesota has been good at both, but they are also more involved in youth hockey than we are in Iowa.

And the Title IX component has to be met.

In the northern part of the state Hockey is becoming quite popular. Iowa may not be ready for it at the college level but it is definately worth considering down the road.

I guess at worst I would think the programs Iowa is offering right now would be safe. I don't know that they would add hockey. IMO, hockey would be yet another out of state tuition subsidy, as there are probably not enough kids in the state of Iowa that play it that could field a competitive team against the likes of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. We have basketball and wrestling in this state in the winter...wrestling is our hockey. I know that Minnesota has been good at both, but they are also more involved in youth hockey than we are in Iowa.

To add, it is a budget buster. Hockey is a very expensive sport. Couple that with not having the facilities already in place to provide hockey, that makes it very unlikely the UofI would take on that endeavor.

All very valid, very true, very significant points. Especially the critical impact on Hawkeye athletics of the tuition differential for non-resident student athletes. As by far the smallest populated state in the BT, but sharing the state's pool with three other Division 1 universities (two of them also public) unlike Wisky, Minnesota, Illinoisthe consequence is that in nearly every schollie-supported sport the U of Iowa has to depend heavily upon more expensive out-of-state athletes, putting us at a serious disadvantage to the other BT schools.

Equally significant are the differences in the size of the native Iowans pool from one sport to another. Iowa can (if it wishes) recruit a full roster for wrestling or basketball (either gender), volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, tennis, golf---all these are varsity sports at a large enough number of Iowa secondary schools. Iowa could/can find a good share of its football roster in state though its competitive position would suffer. Same is true of swim & diving, track & field, cross-country. But field hockey, rowing are not sports offered in Iowa high schools, and that is true of lacrosse, hockey & numerous minor sports that are schollie-based at larger universities in larger states like Ohio State, Florida, Texas, Penn State.

It would be feasible perhaps for the U of Iowa to add men's volleyball, men's soccer, perhaps eventually hockey (both genders) as more Iowa cities add good skating facilities, more high schools have teams...but that would be a long time into the future. And if/when it comes, the U of Iowa will have to decide upon which additional women's sports it will offer: not only because Title IX dictates such an effort, but because the top officials, the views of faculty & regents, the student body itself at Iowa are very feminine-oriented and becoming more so every year.

Simplistically, the U of Iowa athletic department COULD afford to add soccer, hockey, lacrosse even without any increases in TV monies, etc. The money is there--Hawkeye athletics has had a profit in excess of expenditures of about ten million dollars a year the past three years. But the U of Iowa strongly prefers to spend it on higher priorities--one major objective is to use the money to endow the remaining schoolies in football, basketball, wrestling that are not already endowed, and then begin the bigger task of endowing schollies for minor sports (thus reducing the disadvantage of having more non-resident athletes on scholarship); another is contributing to the debt-retirement on new and pending athletic facilities, including CHA & the new rec center. More basic fact of life: not all of the current programs at Iowa are doing all that well competively: and while Iowa has moved to provide new, enhanced quality facilities for field hockey, tennis, soft ball, soccer, golf as well as the CHA addition/upgrade that will provide luxurious facilities for basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, volleyball...nonetheless the U of Iowa athletic dept may conclude that more financial support for recruiting, etc could help the less-successful minor sports at Iowa to compete more strongly.

I think it would be awesome if UI added hockey. There is competitive hockey in Des Moines, Sioux City, Mason City and Waterloo. There more programs out there but I think those are the top 4. If im wrong please correct me. Like it was mentioned earlier i dont know if we have enough in state talent year in and out. But there has been high school players from Iowa who have played at Boston College, Ohio State etc.....What level is the ISU hockey program????

Does anyone else think it would be possible to convert part of the current Fieldhouse on Campus into a sort of hockey rink? With all the fuss going on in Iowa City about the 21+ ordinance and the University saying they want to offer more alchohol free activities, between adding an hockey rink that could be used for ice skating and then possibly adding a bowling alley it would at least be an effort on the part of the University to show they are commited. Maybe that additional athletic department money could be something that the University could use to do these sort of things, but then again, I have no idea what it would take to make an ice rink out of part of the current Fieldhouse.

Tigger, on a different board at one time, you did an expose on the Big 10 and all of the ramifications about academics and their role in expansion and etc. I think it was actually slanted towards the impact of having ND join the Big 10. Do you have a copy of that? I thought it was particularly informative and really addresses some of the expansion issues that we see today. Thanks!

Latest posts