Jon Budmayr New WR Coach

The phrase 'perfect fit' doesn't mean the same thing to KF as it does everyone else. If he was a perfect fit I would think that when rattling off his qualifications for the gig there'd be something about having worked with WRs. Since not I would say this is less the a perfect hire.

And for the record I'd have said the same thing about Hodge coaching TEs. In his case it's the totally opposite side of the ball and could've been seen as an even longer reach. Yet I bet damn near all of us if asked would say that the odds of Hodge working out as TEs coach would be better then Budmayrs at WR.

KF hiring Budmayr is the lazy safe comfortable pick. He's been on staff 2 yrs he knows him and is just comfortable working with him. How good he is at his job is irrelevant. I mean if that mattered how could not improving the QB room one iota over his time here and bringing in Hill be looked at as doing a good job? It's going to be a tough tough if not impossible sell to the public for KF to convince us that he's a 'perfect fit' or anything close to it.

There's a reason they sat on this and didn't just announce it at the same time as Lesters hiring and that's cause he knew how it'd go over and didn't want to take the smoke for it. They've had this hire decided upon before Copeland was even let go I bet.

I guess I don't I won't judge the hire until we see results, good or bad. What people need to remember is that he basically took over coaching the WR partway through the season when it became apparent that Copeland would be gone.

In our last 6 games, Kaleb Brown came on strong, even though Vines, Anderson, All, and Lachey were out. I have no idea if Bud had anything to do with it, but he didn't screw him up, so I'm at least going to give him a chance.

Here is what I will say on the positive: Lester is going to be up in the booth, and it is going to be important to have someone on the field that can interact with the principle components of the passing game. Not only can Budmayr presumably coach WR, but he also knows the QB position and has coordinated an offense. That experience might prove valuable on gameday.

I would have liked to see Iowa go in a different direction, but ultimately I know nothing about the situation, and I will just have to hope that this was a reasoned decision and not just the path of least resistance.

It feels like such a missed opportunity. Why couldn't Budmayr stay in his special assistant role and Iowa replace Copeland with a proper WR coach? It appears it was a net loss of a position, on the side of the ball that needs as much help as possible, including new voices.

The phrase 'perfect fit' doesn't mean the same thing to KF as it does everyone else. If he was a perfect fit I would think that when rattling off his qualifications for the gig there'd be something about having worked with WRs. Since not I would say this is less the a perfect hire.

And for the record I'd have said the same thing about Hodge coaching TEs. In his case it's the totally opposite side of the ball and could've been seen as an even longer reach. Yet I bet damn near all of us if asked would say that the odds of Hodge working out as TEs coach would be better then Budmayrs at WR.

KF hiring Budmayr is the lazy safe comfortable pick. He's been on staff 2 yrs he knows him and is just comfortable working with him. How good he is at his job is irrelevant. I mean if that mattered how could not improving the QB room one iota over his time here and bringing in Hill be looked at as doing a good job? It's going to be a tough tough if not impossible sell to the public for KF to convince us that he's a 'perfect fit' or anything close to it.

There's a reason they sat on this and didn't just announce it at the same time as Lesters hiring and that's cause he knew how it'd go over and didn't want to take the smoke for it. They've had this hire decided upon before Copeland was even let go I bet.
Budmayr is the perfect fit…for Kirk.

It not just you. There have been a lot of podcast personalities that have felt this same way and have expressed negative views before this announcement was made.

Fortunately coaching this position isn’t rocket science. The big, big question can he recruit the horses we will need to be competitive in the new big ten. The odds aren’t great, but who knows. We can only hope for good results.

Hopefully everyone will be proven wrong,
And, he will report to the new OC who clearly has new plans for our receiving corps. Hmm.

And I think we need to be honest, having certain coaches of color in certain positions would likely gain an advantage in recruiting................WR is prob one of them. This is an area Iowa has struggled at and could really use a recruiting boost.

Throwing in some pasty white guy that has not had experience playing or coaching WR's may not be the answer. Just saying, and I have nothing against Jon Budmayr.

Who do you think southern recruits are going to be more willing to listen and connect with?

I mean I hate mentioning race or bringing that into it, but let's be real.
Amen no need beating around the bush... All you said is dead on. There's more to running WRs through drills, jug machine reps and running wind sprints. These guys gotta be able to teach the nuances of the position and recruit.

Budmayr knows how to look at Xs and Os on a tablet. I bet he's good at that part of the game. That seems almost like a given to the game of football anymore for coaches. But the rest of it I have a tough time believing that he can relate to a kid like Kaleb Brown the way a Marvin McNutt could. McNutt checks all the boxes Budmayr does and then some except what? He hasn't been on the staff the previous few yrs is all. That's about it.

Damn it! I hate Pabst blue Ribbon but I'll get that link after watching the girls game.
What's wrong with you? What would Dennis Hopper have to say about that? Why would you drink anything other than PBR and Schlitz? Nothing as good as a double shot of Wild Turkey and a Schlitz chaser. That'll make you the Schlitz Bull. Bad Ass!

Wild Turkey and Falstaff are another good combo.

What's wrong with you? What would Dennis Hopper have to say about that? Why would you drink anything other than PBR and Schlitz? Nothing as good as a double shot of Wild Turkey and a Schlitz chaser. That'll make you the Schlitz Bull. Bad Ass!

Wild Turkey and Falstaff are another good combo.
Is Falstaff around anymore?

McNutt has reportably said he would interested in the analyst job. Any word yet on who is taking over the analyst job?

Latest posts