Jon Budmayr New WR Coach

Not exactly a surprise. I've been hearing for some time that he was reassured early on that he would remain on the staff in some capacity.

My personal take is that it would have been nice to bring in someone with actual WR experience, but, then again, there are numerous examples of very effective coaches that never played the position.

I'm sure there will be a lot of skepticism here and understandably so. Cautiously optimistic.

Not a shocker. Marvin McNutt’s name has been tossed around quite a bit. If I am being real(as the kids like to say) I would be far more excited if McNutt got the gig.

Id link a video of a sound of a wet fart but i want to put as much effort into this post as Iowa did trying to find a real WR coach.

The internet is a vast place, but unless it was an ebola induced wet blood fart it wouldn't do justice to the sound that is needed and I'm not sure that exists on the internet. Absolutely dejected right now.

Please forgive me for not knowing this, but why is Kirk called the Moon Family Head Football Coach? I mean why is Moon Family included in the job title?

1707954614849.png

Jack : This *is* the new car! Reggie : This looks like the same piece-of-shit sky blue Cadillac you had before! Jack : Yeah, I bought the same make, model, year, color, everything the same. That's the way I like it

I thought of this when I read about this latest internal hire.

Let's see:
Head Coach -- White.
Offensive Coordinator -- White.
WR Coach -- White.
QB Coach -- White.
OLine Coach -- White.
RB Coach -- Black.
TE Coach -- Black
This, for a team that I believe consists of more than 50% Black players.
This really stands out to me. Am I the only one who notices or cares about this stuff?
I never know how to react to this issue. We seem to see it everywhere. Hayden Fry was famously "color blind." Maybe KF is as well. You did leave out our special teams coordinator, right? And, maybe I am wrong, but the OC,QB and WR includes 2 coaches, not three? Would like to see your response.

Marvin McNutt tweeted (and has since deleted) something to the effect of - maybe someday, guys. Albert Young reacted to it with a face palm emoji. (I can't believe, that at 56, I just typed that sentence.)
Maybe he wasn't commenting on the receiver hire.

I would have given Marvin a shot ahead of Budmayr. He privately trained ISM, Brandon Smith, Kevonte Martin-Manley and Oliver Martin. among others. He coached an arena league team in Cedar Rapids. He's been coaching at Coe.

Yes, it's not the best resume. But Budmayer hasn't coached receivers. And KF hired Ladell Betts as a position coach out of a high school.

Please forgive me for not knowing this, but why is Kirk called the Moon Family Head Football Coach? I mean why is Moon Family included in the job title?
I saw the article that explains this snd must admit i never heard of this title before either. And it epitomizes what is wrong with corporate, i mean, college athletics.

Marvin McNutt tweeted (and has since deleted) something to the effect of - maybe someday, guys. Albert Young reacted to it with a face palm emoji. (I can't believe, that at 56, I just typed that sentence.)
Maybe he wasn't commenting on the receiver hire.

I would have given Marvin a shot ahead of Budmayr. He privately trained ISM, Brandon Smith, Kevonte Martin-Manley and Oliver Martin. among others. He coached an arena league team in Cedar Rapids. He's been coaching at Coe.

Yes, it's not the best resume. But Budmayer hasn't coached receivers. And KF hired Ladell Betts as a position coach out of a high school.

If you are not comfortable with McNutt… just go with David Raih. I am a Kirk supporter, but this is soooo frustrating.

Yeah. And I have been down on Bud ever since. As I re-read his background, I guess I should slow down on my negative views of him. Proof=Pudding.

It not just you. There have been a lot of podcast personalities that have felt this same way and have expressed negative views before this announcement was made.

Fortunately coaching this position isn’t rocket science. The big, big question can he recruit the horses we will need to be competitive in the new big ten. The odds aren’t great, but who knows. We can only hope for good results.

Hopefully everyone will be proven wrong,

Another classic Ferentz move.
Why go with someone who has experience and success at recruiting and coaching a position, when you can provide on-the-job training at a P5 program?
Brilliant.

Last edited:
I guess I don't I won't judge the hire until we see results, good or bad. What people need to remember is that he basically took over coaching the WR partway through the season when it became apparent that Copeland would be gone.

In our last 6 games, Kaleb Brown came on strong, even though Vines, Anderson, All, and Lachey were out. I have no idea if Bud had anything to do with it, but he didn't screw him up, so I'm at least going to give him a chance.

One more thing. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't affect what's really important in this world. In the words of Norm Peterson (from Cheers for you unfortunate young'ns) when Sam let the new bartender go that they all loved

Norm: Is this gonna change the price of beer?
Sam: No
Norm: Then what do we care?

Last edited:

Latest posts