Jok Impressive in PTL Lid Lifter (Complete PTL Stats)

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The lid has been lifted on the 2013 installment of the Prime Time League, including the first appearance by incoming freshman Peter Jok.

Jok did not disappoint and perhaps exceeded expectations; he drained five three-point baskets en route to a 35 point PTL debut. Those were the most points scored by anyone on Thursday night. Pat Harty interviewed Jok extensively after the contest and you can read that here.

Here were the Hawkeye totals from Thursday night. You can read a comprehensive recap of all of the action at this link from Brendan Stiles

Peter Jok: 35 points
Adam Woodbury: 32 points, 16 rebounds
Devyn Marble: 29 points, six rebounds and five assists
Aaron White: 29 points, 14 rebounds
Mike Gesell: 28 points, 11 assists
Jarrod Uthoff: 26 points, 10 rebounds
Anthony Clemmons: 23 points, six rebounds and five assists
Zach McCabe: 22 points, 11 rebounds
Okey Ukah (walk on): 20 points, 8 rebounds
Gabe Olaseni: 19 points and 12 rebounds
Darius Stokes: 16 points and 8 rebounds
Kyle Meyer: 7 points
Josh Oglesby: DNP, finger injury

Rob Howe of HawkeyeInsider.com said this of the night: While Gesell and Jok likely will grab the headlines from Thursday night due to their story lines, Jarrod Uthoff looked the most impressive of all Hawkeyes I saw. He connected from three, drove people to the hole and exhibited a mid-range game as a 6-foot-8 forward.

For Mike Gesell and Gabe Olaseni, it was their first five-on-five action since the NIT Championship game in early April, over two months ago. Each was recovering from a stress reaction in the foot. Gesell said this to Scott Dochterman of The Gazette: “I didn’t touch a ball for a month and this is actually my first five-on-five game since the Baylor game. I played a few four-on-four games, but I hadn’t gone full five-on-five yet."

There is always the risk of placing too much emphasis on Prime Time League performances. Yes, I realize this is an annual disclaimer, but some folks have a tendency to take what they see in the PTL and try to extrapolate that into a Big Ten setting. It's just not a good idea.

That said, Jok's performance is certainly one that stand out for an incoming freshman making his PTL debut, considering the damage he did from beyond the arc. According to Howe, he hit four straight treys at one point and Iowa desperately needs a sniper from beyond the arc. Josh Oglesby can fill that role, too, but he had a very poor shooting year one season ago. From the senior year film I saw of Jok, his shooting form was very repeatable and it looked more consistent to me than Oglesby, who was falling away at some times. Then again, Oglesby was being guarded by players from Indiana and Michigan State, not Waukee or Johnston.

PTL LINKS
HawkeyeDrive: A great recap plus several videos
The Gazette
HawkeyeInsider
HawkCentral
HawkCentral Photo Gallery

Howe says Uthoff is 6'8", didn't someone at The Gazette say he had had grown to 6'10" since last summer?

Either way he could be a matchup nightmare, but a 6'10" player with Uthoff's skill set would be ridiculous.

Howe says Uthoff is 6'8", didn't someone at The Gazette say he had had grown to 6'10" since last summer?

Either way he could be a matchup nightmare, but a 6'10" player with Uthoff's skill set would be ridiculous.

I was thinking that too. I did see a picture in Howe's pic gallery that showed Uthoff and Adam together, and Uthoff looked more 6'10 (closer in height to Woody). That could just be the angle the picture was taken though.

With Iowa height this year a lot of teams will be looking to pack it in with a zone. If JOK or JO or both could become consistent weapons would be big

I was thinking that too. I did see a picture in Howe's pic gallery that showed Uthoff and Adam together, and Uthoff looked more 6'10 (closer in height to Woody). That could just be the angle the picture was taken though.

Good thing wisconsin "didnt want him anymore". Cause it looks like he will do well here.

Ohhh activebadger I know you are out there reading this.

Im not as concerned about Iowa's outside shooting as some are here.

Gesell's is going to imrpove, almost always happens from freshmen to sophomore year.

JO cant shoot any worse than he did last year.

Hopefully Marble wont have 3 or 4 games worth of 1/12's or 2/14's.

If Jok can hit 32-35% from downtown, that would be splendid.

Uthoff isnt going to shoot them in great quantity, but he should shoot it at a decent clip.

I hope White shops shooting from the outside. He needs to get transition buckets and putbacks/garbage buckets.

Uthoff told Dochterman that he's more like 6'9.5", and you can round that up to 6'10" when he's wearing shoes.

Gesell's is going to imrpove, almost always happens from freshmen to sophomore year.

Uthoff isnt going to shoot them in great quantity, but he should shoot it at a decent clip.

I hope White shops shooting from the outside. He needs to get transition buckets and putbacks/garbage buckets.

If you want White to have a baseline game then he has to hit the three in the corner when given a chance. He needs defenders to have to close out on him quickly when he gets the ball in the corner. White needs to keep shooting.

I do think Gesell will improve, and Marble just needs to stay steady. But while JO can't realistically shoot any worse, I'm not sure he can shoot significantly better, either. He shot roughly the same percentage over the entire season this year as he did in conference play as a freshman. The difference in overall percentages was made in the non-conference slate. He's got two years of sub-30% shooting against Big Ten teams. I've seen little reason to believe that's going to change; he hits everything in warmups, and I'm sure he does the same in practice. But it's not translating in the games that really matter.

Good thing wisconsin "didnt want him anymore". Cause it looks like he will do well here.

Ohhh activebadger I know you are out there reading this.

I don't remember activebadger or other Badger fans saying "they didn't want him" anymore. I could easily be wrong though. The reason Ryan was upset about Uthoff leaving was two-fold: he bolted after the program invested a year in him through redshirting; and Bo probably could see Uthoff has some skills and a good chance at being a good Big 10 player. Alford had the same thing occur when Marcellus Sommerville left after redshirting for a year. That hurt Iowa quite a bit in the next year or so as Iowa lacked players of Sommerville's skill set.

It's a tribute to Ryan that in 10+ years Uthoff is basically the only guy who was in position to be a rotation player/key contributor that ended up leaving the program.

I don't remember activebadger or other Badger fans saying "they didn't want him" anymore. I could easily be wrong though. The reason Ryan was upset about Uthoff leaving was two-fold: he bolted after the program invested a year in him through redshirting; and Bo probably could see Uthoff has some skills and a good chance at being a good Big 10 player. Alford had the same thing occur when Marcellus Sommerville left after redshirting for a year. That hurt Iowa quite a bit in the next year or so as Iowa lacked players of Sommerville's skill set.

It's a tribute to Ryan that in 10+ years Uthoff is basically the only guy who was in position to be a rotation player/key contributor that ended up leaving the program.

Ohhh they still want him. However Activebadger acted like a kid that just broke up with his girl friend. He insisted that Wisconsin would be good this year and that the Uthoff was not needed.

Well geez Jok sure isn't trying to temper expectations for himself.... He's a guy who could be a better college player then HS. Can't wait to see more of him. Utoff is going to be a tough kid to keep off the floor. I think McCafferys toughest job this yr will be deciding the starting lineup and dividing up mins. It'll be interesting to see what kind of strategy he will have or favor. Iowa could play big or small lineups. That versatility will be so so tough for other teams to prepare for.

I took my son to the PTL the Summer before Horner and Brunner's freshman year. Sommerville played briefly. He seemed totally uninterested, like he couldn't care less. He wanted out. Things worked out pretty good for him after Alford.....

0330_large.jpg

;)

Last edited:
All the offense sounds great but if players can't play defense your not going to do well in the BIG against the top teams. I wasn't at the game and am only looking at the scores. Was anyone playing defense? Could someone who was there comment on that?

It's the PTL. It's not a defensive league. That said I think we know the commitment the guys have to defense after seeing thre improvemt made last year. They were one of the top 40 defensive teams in the nation.

It's the PTL. It's not a defensive league. That said I think we know the commitment the guys have to defense after seeing thre improvemt made last year. They were one of the top 40 defensive teams in the nation.

That stat says a lot considering how up tempo we are.

Latest posts