Johnny Orr

Great coach and great guy. Sad day.

JD - I have just been informed that CryFan is shutting down for an hour between 5 and 6 to honor Coach Orr. Anyway, given that a substantial number of troglodytes will be without forum access during that hour, I am respectfully requesting that you preemptively ban ALL ISU fans from posting on HN and do not approve any new user registrations today.

I post this in your honor.

Great coach and great guy. Sad day.

JD - I have just been informed that CryFan is shutting down for an hour between 5 and 6 to honor Coach Orr. Anyway, given that a substantial number of troglodytes will be without forum access during that hour, I am respectfully requesting that you preemptively ban ALL ISU fans from posting on HN and do not approve any new user registrations today.

It never ends from this guy. No class and no respect.

Orr was a very good coach and the best Michigan had until Belien. Had Frieder stayed, he would have been great. Everyone after that until now...well, either cheaters or couldn't get the job done.

Class act and I enjoyed him telling Vitale off during a Selection Show. You could tell that they weren't friends.

Young guy here...

How does the story go on how Johnny ends up at ISU after having national champion contending type teams at Mich??

Johnny has a long history with the state of Iowa. In his brief time in the NBA, he played for the Waterloo Hawks. One of his first coaching jobs he ever had was in Dubuque at Dubuque Senior. He actually applied for the job at the University of Iowa and interviewed for it in 1958 but didn't get the job. What I heard back in the day was that ISU had called Michigan looking for one of his assistants. Orr took the call from ISU, and after hearing about the job, asked to be considered. The rest is history.

Orr was a very good coach and the best Michigan had until Belien. Had Frieder stayed, he would have been great. Everyone after that until now...well, either cheaters or couldn't get the job done.

Class act and I enjoyed him telling Vitale off during a Selection Show. You could tell that they weren't friends.

Was that the time Orr said they were going to kick some a-- in the tournament? Loved it.

My condolences also go out to Michigan fans. Johnny had some good teams at Michigan.

I grew up with Mr. Davis coaching Iowa and Johnny Orr coaching ISU. Easy for a whipper snapper like myself to forget what Orr accomplished at UM. Sarcasm noted, okeefe.

Great coach, great guy.

I found it interesting that according to the DM Register, Orr's ISU teams made the NCAA tourney only 6 of his 14 years.

One of my favorite quotes from Johnny was "Only the pope and Jim Criner could get 40,000 people to say 'jesus christ'" or something to that effect. good stuff. Definitely a subdued and somber vibe to hilton last night.

One of my favorite quotes from Johnny was "Only the pope and Jim Criner could get 40,000 people to say 'jesus christ'" or something to that effect. good stuff. Definitely a subdued and somber vibe to hilton last night.

I threw some money down on ISU -23 last night, figured Fred wouldn't let his team sleepwalk through the game after Johnny passed earlier in the day and the Clones came through for me.

I threw some money down on ISU -23 last night, figured Fred wouldn't let his team sleepwalk through the game after Johnny passed earlier in the day and the Clones came through for me.

really wanted 100, but the players definitely came through for Fred. Post game presser was a good one too.

really wanted 100, but the players definitely came through for Fred. Post game presser was a good one too.

Went and watched these. Interesting hearing what Fred had to say on Johnny and some of the old coaches in the Big 8 and how media is today. It's cool how people smile when they talk about Orr even though it is a very sad event. Must have made a pretty good impact on a lot of people. World needs more people like that.

Johnny caused me much grief in the 80's in Hilton vs. the Hawks. To me, known way more for his personality than actual coaching ability. And thats ok.

Latest posts