Joe Slaton status???

BossTom

Does anyone on this forum know with 100% certainty Joes' status? Is he back with the team and eligible? Will he be representing the Hawkeyes at 141lbs. in Cedar Falls this weekend???

With it being this close to National duals I would think someone MUST know something concrete concerning Joe!!!

BTW....... Also have been hearing alot of talk about LeClere possibly transferring for the spring semester.... Any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for any answers guys!

In short Joe should be ready to go and will probably get the majority of matches this weekend at 141. Dan Leclere doesn't look to be going anywhere and may weigh in and get a match at the duals as well.

They can have up to 15 guys on the roster for this weekend and I would expect something like the following.

125-McD
133-Dennis/Moore
141-Slaton/Marion/Leclere
149-Metcalf
157-Jannsen/Kerr
165-Morningstar
174-Borschel
184-Keddy/Gambrall
197-Lofthouse
285-Rasing

You may see a slight change to that but I wouldn't expect much different at this point.

I would think that having 3 guys at one weight would be kind of a waste.

Wouldn't you want 2 at 125 no matter what. If for some reason your 125 gets hurt you can't have anyone else there if you don't bring 2. For example, if Morningstar gets hurt you could always move Kerr or Jannsen up but if your 125 gets hurt and you only bring one you would have to forfeit.

Johnson wrestled a little at 197 last year, any chance of him going at 197 while Beatty is out?

Thanks for the response fulsassfan! Joe is a stud and will give our line-up a BIG TIME boost, and just in time I might add, with the unfortunate injury to Chad.

The above poster brings up a good point. Wouldn't you want to take 2 125lbers for just as he said, a just in case scenario?

Also, why isn't Ambrose a possibility at 197? Is he still with the team? I thought he had a really good off season competing in freestyle? I would've thought he'd be ahead of Lofthouse on the depth chart? Any insight?

Brands never really says anything about Slaton in that article. They do speak of the press release but those are rarely right and are usually done early. If you look at the Iowa press release it still lists Beatty at 197 so it was obviously done early. Joe still had some stuff to take care of in the last week or so to be cleared by the University but it is my understanding that those have been taken care of and he should be good if they choose to use him.

Ambrose is in Brands "doghouse" so to speak. He has had some issues keeping his weight under control and has missed weight this year. If Brodie gets things straightened out and has a good week they may take him but at this point I would doubt it and it will most likely be Lofthouse at 197. It kind of makes me wish that either Keddy or Gambrall were a little bigger to bump them up in the time being but it's probably not likely since neither is very big.

Fulsaas usually has a lot more solid info than I do but I'm still hearing that it has not been decided if Joe is eligible to go or not. This is not a team decision from the way I understand it but an athletic department.

"Andy_Hamilton

Iowa will be without Daniel Dennis, Chad Beatty, Dan Erekson and Joe Slaton at this weekend's National Duals"

From Hamilton's twitter

If slaton is indeed out, we have to assume marion gets the bulk of the matchups, correct?

What's interesting is with the three big losses this weekend (erekson, beatty, dennis) if all three are indeed out plus not having slaton these are the potential matchups with ranked opponents which could no doubt swing a dual:

133 Nate Moore could see:
#3 Hochstrasser (Boise st) in the quarters
#2 Ness (Minnesota) in semis
#9 Sentes (Central Mich) in semis
#12 Grey (Cornell) in the finals
#8 Fanthorpe (clowns) in the finals
#10 Bell (maryland) in the finals

141 Marion/Leclare could see:
#10 Jones (Boise) in quarters
#7 Thorn (minnesota) in semis
#8 Krom (maryland) in the finals
#6 dake (cornell) in finals
#1 Humphrey (osu) in finals
#2 gallick (isu) in finals

197 Brode Ambrose could see:
#2 brester (nebraska) first round
#15 yohn (minn) in semis
#6 simaz (cornell) in finals
#4 taylor (maryland) in finals
#1 varner (isu) in finals

HWT Johnson? wasn't impressed enough with anyone to pick a potential starter could see:
#11 lane (nebraska) first round
#8 Ellis (mizzou) semis
#17 arnone (cornell) in finals
#4 Trice (cent mich) in finals
#5 zabriskie (isu) in finals

The point being that these injuries can't heal fast enough, and as dominant as the hawks are, there is definate cause for concern going into this weekend. It's just amazing, talk about being thrown into the fire.

Given the guys that will be wrestling in place of these four, Beatty is probably the most significant. Hopefully this adds a little motivation for keeping the unbeaten streak alive.

"Andy_Hamilton

Iowa will be without Daniel Dennis, Chad Beatty, Dan Erekson and Joe Slaton at this weekend's National Duals"

From Hamilton's twitter

Disappointing, I thought we may get DD and DE back....at this point I wonder if we will ever get Joey out there.

Okay, just read that article and now i'm confused, AGAIN! Hard to not believe a quote strait from Tom though.

I wish someone in the media would just flat out ask Tom Brands if, and when, Joe is going to be available to be a starter in the line-up.

This is frustrating.......

I don't think Slaton is eligible until second semester classes start on the 18th of January.

I'm pretty sure that Slaton has been cleared by the NCAA and it is a University of Iowa decision on whether or not he wrestles. If there is any weight that we can take it though it's at 141 where we have 2 other guys that are good enough to beat anyone at that weight.

ih8olives, Rasing will be the starter at Hwt!

Slaton never had to be cleared by the NCAA. It's strictly an academic/discipline issue. Still holding out a little hope he can wrestle this weekend but it's unlikely.

Gallick won't be wrestling for ISU this weekend.

Rasing has picked a tough time to be indoctrinated into the lineup. Tussling with tough heavies this year from Day 1. I don't think we'd get as many negative comments about him if he got to face the patsies Johnson faced at the Iowa duals.