Joe Philbin

in overall philosophy, you are absolutely correct. In schemes, patterns, and playcalls within than philosophy, you are incorrect. A good OC could play within the overall philosophy of KF and be successful.

In regard to Philbin...yes please.

Assuming this to be correct, then why is KF keeping an OC that everyone on this board feels is bad? Don't good coaches get rid of bad offensive coordinators?

Assuming this to be correct, then why is KF keeping an OC that everyone on this board feels is bad? Don't good coaches get rid of bad offensive coordinators?

Yes, but Kirk is the epitome of stubborn.

I've always marveled at this contradiction: Opponents say Iowa is easy to prepare for, you know what they're going to do. But in-coming QBs usually say it's a complicated offense to learn and takes time.

How can an offense be difficult for the players to learn and execute, yet so easy for the opponent to prepare for?

Answer: It's an inherently bad scheme, and Iowa's offense numbers over time bear it out.

Last edited:

Good coaches sometimes keep badly matched OC's, whether it be too much loyalty, stubbornness, or simply the belief things will improve.

But I agree, if KF ends up being forced to leave before he chooses, I believe Greg Davis will be the primary reason.

Good coaches sometimes keep badly matched OC's, whether it be too much loyalty, stubbornness, or simply the belief things will improve.

But I agree, if KF ends up being forced to leave before he chooses, I believe Greg Davis will be the primary reason.

Kirk is a good coach. IMO he could be a great coach with less stubbornness. EDIT: I also think the contract dialed down the heat, which I think he needs to perform at his best.

Last edited:
Philbin said when he left is his wife hated him being on the road recruiting all the time. he has 5 or more kids if I recall. I think he probably does not miss that part of the college game at all.

Philbin said when he left is his wife hated him being on the road recruiting all the time. he has 5 or more kids if I recall. I think he probably does not miss that part of the college game at all.
How old are his kids, now?

One died a couple years ago in college. But the point is if a coach doesn't buy into the recruiting and the enormous amount of time it takes they virtually never come back to it. I would guess unless he is unemployed or a head coaching position opens up he will not come back to the college game.

FYI Ron Akin is being paid like $500,000 or $600,000 to coach Dline at Oregon and not sure that gig is going to last much longer as their D has never been that good. He is likely to be unemployed soon.

Latest posts