Joakim Noah uses a gay slur toward a fan, how much will it cost him?

The NBA is not the real world. This is a league in which you can choke your coach and still not get fired.

Again Joakim's rant was not directed at an innocent person, it was an exchange with an instigating fan and that is certainly going to be taken into account. Charles Barkely only got fined 10 large for hawking a lugi on that girl, do you honestly think Noah's going to get more than 25k for calling a heckler a name?

Barkley was Fined 20 years ago and the players today make more than what they did then so I'm sure if it happened today it would have been a hell of a lot more than 25k.

Again the fans pay the bills. You can get more refs if you lose them, but if you start to lose fans its going to be hard to get them back.

Didnt see or hear exactly what he said...does it rhyme with Maggot?
I cant watch the NBA anyway so don't give a crap.

Again you guys are missing the component that Kobe's actions were taken against a completely innocent person afilliated with the league and Joakim's actions were against an antagonistic fan who was a more than willing participant.

I think you guys who think it's going to be 100k or even more are pretty foolish.

The going rate for an obscene gesture to a fan (includes flipping the bird and grabbing your crotch) is $25,000. I'd be shocked if he was fined more than this.

Prepare to be shocked. The only way his fine is not 100K is if they take into account that he doesn't make nearly as much money as Kobe. But that's the only way. This is much worse than Kobe's.

Which is what I said at the start. Minimum of 50K. I'm sure the only difference was that Kobe makes 23 million a year compared to Noah's 12 million.

Good guess on those salaries. Kobe made $24.8 million this year, so a $100K fine is less than .5% of his salary. Noah made $3.1 million this year, so a $50K fine is more than 1% of this salary. From that perspective, Noah's fine is steeper.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Good guess on those salaries. Kobe made $24.8 million this year, so a $100K fine is less than .5% of his salary. Noah made $3.1 million this year, so a $50K fine is more than 1% of this salary. From that perspective, Noah's fine is steeper.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Chicago Bulls

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Los Angeles Lakers

I knew Noah signed a contract extension where he would be around 12-13 million a year. Didn't realize that it would not take place until next year

My mind is blown with people who think directing it at a fan is worse than an official. I just can't wrap my brain around that one.

Should be more than Bryant's. Directing it toward a fan is worse.

Not when the fan is just asking for that to happen to him.....come on a fan who was as bad as this guy was (by all accounts should have been thrown out of the game anyway)....this is nowhere near as bas as Kobe's.

You know what, the fan in the Ron Artest situation deserved that as well. I don't blame Ron at all. Fans by nature are NOT part of the game. Anytime they do something in attempt to make themselves part of the game, anything (within reason) goes.

If in life I were walking down the street and someone threw a glass full of beer at me I would certainly confront him.

You know what, the fan in the Ron Artest situation deserved that as well. I don't blame Ron at all. Fans by nature are NOT part of the game. Anytime they do something in attempt to make themselves part of the game, anything (within reason) goes.

If in life I were walking down the street and someone threw a glass full of beer at me I would certainly confront him.

Really? For what? Ron punched the wrong guy.